Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hot summer day – bike in car
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Any issue with heat if leaving bike inside car all day when its hot and sunny? I imagine tyre pressure will increase, but as I typically run ~20psi I can’t see that increase being enough to damage them. I assume suspension pressure will also increase – could it damage suspension? Again I think unlikely but I’m uncertain on this.

Anything else to be concerned about?

cokie

YES! Always make sure to crack the windows so it doesn’t over heat.
    If it’s 650b it’s especially important, as you want to make sure it still keeps the trails alive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had mine sat in a 40c car no issues, cover things normally anyway but nowt special

steve_b77
    Free Member

Surely the carbonz will melt and all kittens in the area shall expire as a result

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Leave it a bowl of water and something to read

scotroutes

Direct sunlight on shocks and forks may cause an an issue with seals etc (a good reason never to buy a bike that’s been on display in a shop windows)

Bregante

I wouldn’t risk it with a 29er personally

VanHalen

i think the biggest issue is having some scrote steal it.

I`d cover it but only for this reason.

rocketman
    Free Member

Used to have some Avid Elixirs that weren’t happy above mid-20 degrees

They used to drag when the weather warmed up and started binding when it was properly hot

Avids eh

ferrals
    Free Member

Agree theft potential is prob biggest concern, hence not sure leaving the windows on a crack is best idea in big car-park.

Obviously would leave a bowl of water and the radio on so it didnt feel lonely 😆

May try and negotiate special dispensation to bring into office instead

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bikes die in hot cars.

warns74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it with a 29er personally

Agreed, I had my XL 29er in my car on a hot day and it expanded so much it shattered all the windows and burst out through the sunroof.

phiiiiil

I presume bike bits are made of a different kind of plastic to those cassette tape boxes that used to go all bendy and weird if you left them in a sunny spot in the car…

munrobiker
    Free Member

There are stories of tyres popping on road bikes (in fact it happened to me two weeks ago in the van).

Mackem

A muddy fox will struggle, need to let air in.
    An Orange might go off a bit.
    Saracens should be fine.
    A Yeti would definitely be uncomfortable.

Yak

I like your style. Distraction worry instead of the real issue of what tyres to run… 😉

Ralphs….

matt_outandabout

Carbon will melt.*
    *Although not true, we did have our canoes hot enough last year to melt the glue bond for fittings to the hull and leave one with a permanent dip where the roof tie down straps where…France, 41*c

dknwhy

This thread brings back horrible childhood memories of the loss of my Ghostbusters toy….

Rest in peace Tombstone Tackle Ghost

ferrals
    Free Member

Yak – Member

I like your style. Distraction worry instead of the real issue of what tyres to run…

Ralphs….

haha, this is for a seperate occaision.

But ralphs for sure its dry again 🙂

teamslug
    Free Member

Don’t do it!! Bikes die in hot cars

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve noticed any patched inner tubes seem to fail when on a wheel thats left in a hot car.

stumpy01

rocketman – Member

Used to have some Avid Elixirs that weren’t happy above mid-20 degrees

They used to drag when the weather warmed up and started binding when it was properly hot

Avids eh

+1. I was a bit annoyed turning up at the Twentyfour12 one year and finding that my front wheel wouldn’t go back in the fork, as there wasn’t enough clearance between the pads for the rotor & the rear brake was locked on.
    Even when cooled down I couldn’t push the pistons back far enough so had to remove some fluid from the system & put up with spongy brakes.

NormalMan

^ +2 on the Avid brakes.

My son had elixir 3 on his ht and about this time last year we had to call short a big day out as when we stopped for a break his already dragging brakes locked. Ended up bleeding off some fluid to get the wheels moving and heading home.

That night deores were ordered!

rocketman
    Free Member

Deja vu all over again folks

I released the pressure (and a bit of fluid) by loosening the bleed screw. ‘Course the fluid was corrosive and after doing it a few times the bleed screw corroded to the body 😕

Avids eh

Stoner
    Free Member

just been outside to grab the wheel-barrow. Looks like it got a bit hot yesterday 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Road bike tyres popping inside cars is not that uncommon. If I had to do it I would take the track pump and let some air out of the tyres.

What about that American woman who was killed by an exploding car tyre?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263095/U-S-Air-Force-captain-Jenna-Wilcox-holiday-Scotland-dies-freak-accident-sports-car-tyre-explodes-lap.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hot summer day – bike in car’ is closed to new replies.