Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hot Fridge Advice Please
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Got some stuff out of the fridge the other day and noticed that is was not as cold as it could be. Checked the element at the back of the inside of the fridge and where it should be cold, it was quite hot. Is this terminal? This is a second fridge freezer that live in the garage and one we have had for some time.

Cheers.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

When you say “element”, do you mean the metal bit on the outside of the fridge?

nickjb
    Free Member

If it is fairly old a new one will pay for itself pretty quickly

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    atlaz
    Free Member

The bit on the back (not inside) is usually hot… it’s a heat exchanger.

Coyote
    Free Member

No, it was inside.

chopperT
    Free Member

On a defrost Cycle?

hora
    Free Member

Is the fridge in a confined space? Too close to the wall at the rear? Move it out- alow air circulation.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Are you confusing your fridge with your oven again?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Is the inside part hot or just warm to the touch and how does the out side part at the back feel in comparison?

Coyote
    Free Member

The inside part was hot to the touch. Didn’t check the outside. It’s all turned off now.

project
    Free Member

It could be a problem with the compressor or a gas leak, fridges contain a refrigerant gas in a closed loop, when the chiller plate gets hot this is usully because of the above, easier to scrap the fridge as opposed to regassing or new compressor, the grill on the back is the heat exchanger/ radiator that allows the heat taken from the fridge via the refrigerant gas to cool, allow plenty of air circiulation, also run the vacumn cleaner hose over the back of the freezer and fridge grills every few monthgs this stops dust and fluff build up, and allows the fridge to work more efficently and save power.

Coyote
    Free Member

Cheers Project.

sharki
    Free Member

I had this same problem, but after a few days, i replaced the light bulb in the kitchen, i then realized the layout in the neighbors kitchen was different.

I was using the cooker

I don’t drink any more and the neighbor doesn’t go away for weekends……

flatback
    Free Member

sounds like the stat has jammed on defrost if that back wall was very warm it would be down to the heater inside the fridge warming it up ,if its just a normal fridge freezer,

if its a electronic frost free could be anything

avdave2

My wife was all for going out and buying a new fridge freezer a few years ago because we had a similar problem and the fridge was getting warm inside. I was away at the time and managed to persuade her to at least wait a couple of days until I could have a look at it. When I did look closely it was apparent that over the years we’d had it the door had dropped slightly. The door still sealed properly but the movement was enough to stop the door from switching the light off when it was closed, it pressed the switch in, which was above the door, but not enough. I fixed a small strip of plastic to the top of the door and we got another 4 or 5 years out of it. It’s surprising how much heat a little pygmy bulb can produce in a sealed box.
    I’ve often wondered how many perfectly good fridges have been thrown away because someone didn’t notice what was happening.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s surprising how much heat a little pygmy bulb can produce in a sealed box.

About 5W IIRC 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hot Fridge Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.