Hot Cross Fun

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Hot Cross Fun
  • hammerite

We had Wouter Sybrandy also from Sigma ride some of our races last year. Surprised me that he didn’t win, think I remember him being 3rd in one of them.

I rode the air raid shelters most laps, took a tumble on one after someone decided to stop smack bang in front of me and took all momentum out of my wheels – just slid sideways. Narrowly avoided the metal fencing too.

oldgit

where it will be more suited to mountain bikes

Bah humbug.

Hammerite I had that most laps as well, one fella pipped me to the mounds then dismounted and ran the lot….oooh I was flippin cross.
    Still I’m convinced that years of mountainbiking has paid off when it comes to those moments.

Just sat looking at a new frame for 2012, might ring Singular.

hammerite

Results are up. Disappointed with my position, but all my usual suspects finished near me so I don’t think I performed worse than normal. Seems it was an unusually big field for a Central only race.

I realised yesterday about much harder cyclo cross racing is.. You really are what feels like in the red for the whole 50 minutes. I couldn’t wait for that last lap bell. There’s no hiding or respite.. and so so difficult to bridge to groups as everyone else is riding hard.

Saw this on a blog post http://cyclocrosstraining.blogspot.com/

If you feel good = You are not going very hard (at least not hard enough to get benefits from training or to be successful in a race)If you feel bad = you are probably pegged and on the rivet-this is actually a good thingBad legs = people in your race are “Better than your better”Good legs = you need to upgrade99.9%”

: Your pain is not special.” I live by these words during the hardest part of the race. Sometimes as I am gasping for air & my legs hurt so bad I want to cut them off… I just remember that “my pain is not special.” As I spit on my top tube unable to see straight…. I remind myself again… “Your pain is not special”I hurt… damn do I hurt. Every day I train… I hurt.

😀

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

Another barrel scraping result from me in the NW League, but what the hell – it is good fun (afterwards – hurts like hell at the time).

@trickdisco – I saw that recently, and have taken to telling myself “Your pain is not special” when I feel like cracking.

To paraphrase blackadder: I start badly, tail off in the middle and the less said about the end the better.

So warm on Sat I was eating an ice cream wearing a t-shirt after the race). November!

trickydisco – Member
    Decided to put some gears back on my bike and do the western league cyclo cross race in Bristol Yesterday. God that was hard!

Need to get some cx tyres on the mountain bike. Was losing ground on the muddy flat sections. Got used to dismounting after a few laps. Came 15th I think

A pro called Simon richardson won it who rode the tour of britain (and he was on a mountain bike)

I hear there was general carnage again. That’s the last two rounds won by a ‘pro/semi-pro’ on an MTB then (Steve Lynch – New Zealand international who won at Conham was on an ‘old’ On One)

Was off doing ‘Remembrance Sunday’ stuff – hope to get to Ashton Court 🙂

8th round in the Swedish cyclocross cup Saturday, 13th place. Swedish cycloross championships Sunday, 19th place.

One tough weekend of racing!

oldgit

Yeah my result looks the worst for the year, that said I also finished with the usual suspects?

acjim

I also raced the Western league yesterday – one comedy dismount (sloppy flat corner, trying too hard) – got stuck in the middle after starting from the back, finished 28th.

How much difference does it make if you start further up the field? I’m such a novice / non-racer i think i worry too much about holding people up.

one comedy dismount (sloppy flat corner, trying too hard) –

Yep.. i hit the deck twice.. Back wheel span out thinking I could get more traction with my wider racing ralph also got my bibs caught trying to remount (that cost me 2 places)

Think the start is crucial (if you’ve got the fitness to back it up).. I felt i didn’t warm up properly

acjim

have to chuckle about getting your bibs stuck – lol – cx racing would be funny if it didn’t hurt – mine was a front wheel (conti speed king) washout.

So re: starting, is the deal to get in amongst the 1st quarter of people and just get stuck in?

fontmoss

Entered my first cross race on Saturday, felt bit under the weather but was on my doorstop so made the effort. I started at the back of the field of about 170 and clawed my way up to bout 130, was relatively happy with that given I was on a ss until a single speeder lapped me 🙁

Mind you not sure my lungs or legs would have allowed more and I loved it. Just wish I had transport to get to more rounds

hammerite

acjim starting near the front can make a huge difference. Courtesy of doing every league race so far this season I have a reasonable grid position now 2nd row yesterday – way above my ability! I actually didn’t cane it too much, and was probably a bit too polite on the first few bends. It meant I lost some places, but still didn’t get held up on the first tricky sections. I rode reasonably consistent lap times as well.

Looking at some clubmates lap times who were also gridded they went off like a bat out of hell. But some of their 2nd/3rd lap times were way down, then they started to recover and pull away a bit.

The race before had 180 starters, I wasn’t gridded, I had to wait stationary for about a minute at the first bottleneck, while the first 30 riders got through with no problems and were at least 1/4 lap in front.

oldgit

I managed to latch onto the last of the gridded riders. I got towed round for the first lap with little effort and got around 48 seconds faster than my last lap.

I got called up for the grid at Hemel but the commisaire got my surname slightly wrong so I missed my first and possibly only ever chance of being gridded. I paid for that by having to walk a massive bottleneck on lap one. Ho hum.

New course at Stanmer Park was great. Hilly as ever at that venue but a real mix of grass, paths and woodland that led to some great close racing with various riders shining on various sections. Only disappointment was that it completely rideable.
    I find gridding and the start makes a huge difference. Called up 2nd row, I was riding around in the group for 4th for a lot of the race and ended up 8th after the group split equalling my best results so far this season 🙂

acjim

thanks, will have to mtfu a bit and get towards the front next time.

i guess if i can find lap times then I can gauge myself more usefully against the other racers and see where I would qualify to start

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

acjim – I’m doing my first season. Being really out of shape when I started (6+ months off the bike this year), I’ve had all sorts of internal battles each race. I’m definitely way too polite at the start, generally lining up towards the back and then not giving it enough beans from the off.

It has crossed my mind more than once that a faster start would mean people have to come past me. Which is one of the skills to racing.

Also, each race is a new experience – I don’t know any of the courses, so, other than the warm up, have no idea about the courses. I’ll have a much better idea next year. And (hopefully) I’ll be rather fitter..!

hammerite

OMITN – I thought that this season. Sadly none of the races this season have used exactly the same course as last season, even when at the same venue. Some of them have used the same features, but run the course over them in a slightly more creative way each time.

hammerite

Spent a couple of hours sorting the course out. I didn’t go round the back of the mound which will be where there is most of the technical stuff, but the bit I was working on was looking good.

Was worried it might be bumpy but the bit I rode was pretty smooth. I was on my MTB but the suspension was locked out.

Jase

How muddy is it likely to be?

oldgit

P.aul, top man. Another different course, all rideable but chalenging. Couldn’t give it the berries on the flat sadly.

hammerite

Sorry Jase, missed your message yesterday.

Thanks OG, and thanks for coming to race. Glad you enjoyed it. There’s a few things which we’d do slightly different (not just on the course), but we feel it went quite well for our first go at organising a cross race. I have to say the support the BC guys give is top class.

I have to say after doing the course measuring lap this morning I was dreading it as I thought it was far too bumpy. But actually when it came to racing it wasn’t too bad, I think everyone warming up, the U14/16 race had helped flatten it a bit.

Whilst it wasn’t muddy it was nice to have a wet course with the ground a bit softer, you have to be a touch more careful on them bends!

oldgit

Yep firm enough for slicks, but greasy enough to need muds.

Liked it, very Belgian’esque.

hammerite

I snapped a spoke in my rear wheel on the measuring lap – heard some pinging, thought it was a twig caught only to find my spoke snapped. So I ended up with mud rear slick front, which seemed to work quite well some how.

Great weekend racing down in the south of Sweden, rounds 8 and 9 of the national series.

A somewhat disappointing 19th on Saturday, and a rather better 8th place today.

Gnarr, cross style!

hammerite

Looks very similar to our conditions SC!

Jase

The only thing I* would criticize today is the catering facility. Compared to other rounds it was a bit sparse. I guess this was dictated by the venue management though.

*Was actually my partner and daughter that complained.

hammerite

Agree Jase. We’d asked for cakes, sandwiches etc… to be on sale, they have a facility they can open up which was closer to the race, but for some reason they didn’t. Shame as the food in the restaurant is top drawer so we were hoping that they could knock some nice stuff up. Maybe next year we’ll sort some catering out ourselves closer to the course.

We also asked for the toilets to be opened in the boat house where signing on was, but they never did.

hammerite

Provisional top positions. No idea what’s happening with full results, hopefully we’ll get them out soon. No idea who any of the photographer out on the course were either.

That would 5 degrees and a nasty cold wind then. bbrrr.

Premier Icon Clover
    Subscriber

Hey Jase, you’ll have to come up north. We had latte and everything at the Bingley CX today. Anyone else there?

Muddy off-cambertastic and steps of doom for my third cx race. We left sunny Todmorden and were enveloped in mist for the rest of the day – usually the other way round.

Jase

Can I just add the changing facilities were spotless.

hammerite

SC – It wasn’t quite so cold, and no wind – it was quite foggy as a result. Looks similar underwheel conditions though.

Jase – just heard that the venue ran out of bread/bacon for sandwiches as demand was higher than they expected! They’ve hosted events before (mainly triathlon) and got in as much as they usually sell, seems us CXers (and supporters) like our food more than the triathlon crowd.

BIGMAN

Crap weekend for me. Rolled my rear tub off at furthest point from pit!

First DNF of the year!

oldgit

Paul. Are you and the team racing this weekend at Sonning Common?

hammerite

Yes I’m racing. Not sure how many others from the club are, I’d imagine a few will.

I’m hoping some of the clubs up our way will think it’s too much of a trek and not bother, could do with some more league points!

Was off doing ‘Remembrance Sunday’ stuff – hope to get to Ashton Court

Just found out the ashton court scramble cross has been cancelled this sunday

https://sites.google.com/a/severnroadclub.co.uk/severnroadclub/Home

😥

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Hot Cross Fun’ is closed to new replies.