Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Hot Cross Fun
  • oldgit
    Free Member

See what I did there….never mind.

It’s a bit whacky, the thought of racing cross this weekend in temperatures in the very late twenties.
    Too late to oredr that file cross tyre.

london_lady
    Free Member

Milton Keynes? I don’t think that we are going to MK – Herne Hill on sunday.

qwerty
    Free Member

…… Doh ….

Jase
    Free Member

That cx clip you sent me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGnM_1ViZA&feature=share) was great especially the hair pin bend shenanigans!

I notice they switch bikes at certain points – whats that all about?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

This weekend is the first two rounds of the Swedish National Series, 1000km round trip, but well worth it.

I’m as excited as my two sons at Christmas!

cqed
    Free Member

Baldock/Herts in the Eastern League for me tomorrow.

Last weekend was a really sweaty one.

Now that I have been moved to the Vets category, it’s only a 40 min race, so i’ve given up taking a bottle in my jersey.

Jase
    Free Member

Are we allowed a bottle? I thought someone told me this wasn’t allowed?

P.S. this will be my 1st ever cx race.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have serious CX envy. My bike is on order but hasn’t arrived yet. 😥 Hopefully here next week. Will be my first season and I can’t wait. 🙂

london_lady
    Free Member

regarding the bottle – you are allowed to start the race with a bottle. If it is >20degree then you may be allowed to accept drinks in the pit area. If <20degree then you are not allowed to have drinks handed up to you in either the first2 or last2 laps – or depending on the commissaire not at all.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, you are allowed a bottle, but you are not allowed to be handed up a bottle unless the temperature is above 20C at which point the commissaires may allow it – but you will be told this as your race is being gridded.

cqed
    Free Member

Jase, not entirely sure on the official rules for this, but here goes….

For the Eastern League, one is able to carry bottles in any race.

However, only in certain races is one allowed to be handed up a bottle from spectators/helpers. One situation in which this is allowed is when the temperature is high, and this happened last week in our race at 23 deg C.

Bike swapping is done if one bike is particularly muddy or there has been a mechanical/puncture. For those lucky enough to have one, the helper will clean or fix the other bike. I have a couple of bikes, but the backup one rides like a dog, so I only swap to that reluctantly.

flip
    Free Member

You lulled me into thinking it was Spring and nearly easter there.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, I won’t remove the bottle cage now then and take a bottle.

LS
    Free Member

Handing up of bottles is banned full stop –

11.5 Riders shall not receive assistance at the start, or during
    the event. The handing up of refreshment is forbidden.

But, sensible commissaires can get round this because their first responsibility is the safety of competitors, so you might be allowed to get a drink if you come into the pits or something.

oldgit
    Free Member

cqed how come your vets only race 40 minutes? I thought we were all one hour – seniors, women and vets.

metters
    Free Member

LS- I think as of last season the UCI changed the rule to commissaires discretion above average 18degress (or other such arbitrary temperature)

london_lady
    Free Member

yes the UCI regulations state:

5.1.038 A rider may only take the pit lane to change his bicycle or a wheel.
    In the event of warm weather conditions (above 20 °C) the commissaires’ panel may decide to
    allow feeding in the pit lane. Under those conditions, feeding is not allowed during the first 2 and
    the last 2 laps.
    (text modified on 1.09.04; 1.07.10).

This rule is implemented in the league that I am asst. commissaire for.

LS
    Free Member

Aye but that’s UCI regs, so only applying to UCI-rated races held in this country. BCF regs at cat A B and C. In the same way that we can ignore the 33mm tyre reg at lower levels we also have to go by BCF regs for drinks.

Still, sensible commissaires (and there are some) will find a way round it. 50% rules and 50% common sense should apply 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’m the organiser for the Herne Hill race and I’ll have a chat with the comm about allowing bottle hand-ups. I’m sure they will be allowed and in line with the UCI regs, likely from the pits only.

I didn’t glue my file treads on cos the august crap weather but at least it’ll be nice to race needing suntan cream! Last year was blinking hot too

LS
    Free Member

Good plan – the bottle rule was only introduced at BCF level to stop numpties having a free-for-all all round the course. Some crashes had been caused by dropped bottles and swerving to grab them. It was easier to ban it than allow pits-only or wherever.

ourmaninthenorth

First cx race of the season for me tomorrow (NW league). I’m woefully unfit, my bike isn’t ready, and I’m looking like having another midnight finish at work tonight.

Last thing on my mind is file treads or drinks..!

cqed
    Free Member

oldgit, for the eastern league it’s 40 mins for slower vets and women, and 1 hour for seniors and elite vets.

i’m desperately trying not to get promoted to the longer race…

oldgit
    Free Member

That was frickin hot 😯

aP
    Free Member

How’d you get on? No ripped off rear mechs like last year?

oldgit
    Free Member

Okay I think.
    My top came undone and I was told to fix it as my numbers couidn’t be seen, that cost me a bit, couldn’t see the bloody thing without my glasses..
    Reckon I missed the bell by seconds, so that extra lap is getting closer.
    Don’t know if it was a mistake or not, but I decided to ease off only twenty minutes in as it was soooo hot. I was thinking, keep it steady fast rather than cran and burn.

aP
    Free Member

Good one. Maybe at the next one – depends if I’ve got a broken scaphoid or not.
    A slightly loaded question – was there an assistant commissaire?

scratch
    Free Member

Anyone at Risca in the morning for the Welsh league?

oldgit
    Free Member

Not sure. I said I normally give the cash to you, but they just looked at me odd?

No, no idea sorry.

Jase
    Free Member

Yep, way too hot for me. Lost my drink bottle after 1st lap. Got someone to give me another which probably was against the rules but there was no way I could have carried on for 50 mins with no fluid.

taxi25
    Free Member

Anyone at Risca in the morning for the Welsh league?

See you there Dan, Its one of my favourite courses.

Coleman
    Free Member

Wow! That were hot hot hot. Top marks to commissaires- bottles allowed today.
    Big field aswell… 200+ starters for the seniors, but the course handled it well.

cqed
    Free Member

a killer today. took a small camelbak, for the first time ever.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wow that was hot!!Still a bit greasy in the shade.Forgetting my race number and my HELMET!!! did’nt help matters.Rescued by one of the photographers lending me his lid.Actually felt pretty good this time,was a bit too relaxed off the start and wasted 2 laps getting past people.Was picking off people at will until my chainguide Sh1t the bed and ate the chain…..on lap 8!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 👿

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

18th day 1, 17th day 2. Now placed 13th overall in the Swedish series.

Two completely different courses, one long and fast the other tight and twisty. Even found some snow to use insteasd of a sand pit!

And a nice little film from Saturday. Yes they are two huge ski jumping towers in the background

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oVtK8e1M_VE[/video]

ourmaninthenorth

Baptism of fire for me in the Velocity Cross (NW league). I haven’t ridden any bike in anger since February, and only got back on properly a couple of weeks go.

20 mins in had to sit up to avoid puking. Took until 10 minutes after the race for the tunnel vision to lift. Still, I finished it and I didn’t come last. 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Blimey, that was hot!!

I was lucky enough to get lapped about 1/3 lap from the end so finished with a race time only 30 seconds or so behind the leader (and 2 laps). Started to take a drink for the last lap or two and lob it back off the course, the OH had told me plenty of others were doing it.

I set off fast but eased up in the second half as I had no one to battle with around me, and it was just too hot!

Think it was my highest finish in a league race, dunno whether I’ve improved, or whether the fast boys were at home.

Nice to meet Oldgit too.

oldgit
    Free Member

Jase, Hammerite are you both racing at Hitchin on Sunday? I;m hoping to have a team mate for the first time ever.

Reckon I missed the bell by seconds, so that extra lap is getting closer

22 seconds in fact. I’ll put that down to faffing with my zip 🙄

Jase
    Free Member

Yep, been to the bowl this afternoon and certainly cooler than last week!

oldgit
    Free Member

Great racing today Jase. Think I got my extra lap (fingers crossed until the results) everything went perfectly, hurdles, sand pit, hairpins, fallen riders in the way.

Jase
    Free Member

I agree, a world away from last week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Hot Cross Fun’ is closed to new replies.