Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hot Air Balloon Rides
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

I have a mother in law who wants a hot air balloon ride for her 60th, which happens in January. I was hoping the all knowing STW collective would be able to advise on:

The likelihood of getting a ride in January and…
    If anyone knows of a good company they can recommend who do the business.

Cheers then!

DickBarton

Very likely but might be a bit pricey and weather-dependent. My wife’s friend’s neighbour has friends who are pilots and they hot air balloon ride for fun – they own all the kit and they do it as a lazy flying experience (in the sense it is totally down to the direction of the wind).

They tend to fly weekly and do offer ‘commercial’ stuff – but I don’t know where they are based or how much – Central Scotland though – I think towards Perth way.

There is a place just outside Glasgow (can’t recall direction or name) but they offer flights all year round…

My wife got a flight about 2 months ago and say it was amazing…crackingly clear night and she could see for miles (as you’d expect a few thousand feet up!).

Hope she enjoys her flight.

joemarshall
    Free Member

We gave up and got a refund when we tried to do it, after the weather had meant cancelling us 6 or so times. Even getting a refund was a right old pain, as the terms and conditions say no refund even if they can’t fly you.

If she works, make sure you book for a weekend (more expensive) flight, as otherwise you might find you have to get time off work at short notice / multiple times.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

My wife bought me mine for my 50th birthday.After 4 years of trying we got our money back.The flights get cancelled if theres a wind over 4 notts.
    We must have had the flights cancelled at least 8 times.
    Once the flight was cancelled because the pilot was stuck in traffic on the m25 whilst every body was waiting for him to turn up.
    Hope you have more luck than i did with this.

flip
    Free Member

We went with Whickers world fron Shugborough Hall in Staffs, it was really very very good, lots of banter from the pilot too.

We went on our second attempt, 1st was cancelled due to fog.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Faff when you plan a weekend around this and then it falls through and you do the same again and again and again. will he ever make a weekend ride again? You knwo who you are !

nickjb
    Free Member

My partner is a pilot so I know a little. January is great for flying as there is little thermal activity and the scenery tends to look beautiful, especially in the morning. You are weather dependent but most big commercial balloons can fly in a reasonable breeze. Rain and deep snow will ground you, though. Round these parts Bristol Balloons and Bailey Balloons are good and fly regularly.

TooTall
    Free Member

Depends where you are – my dad had to wait for 2 years in Northumberland for his.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mother-in-law you say…..

i say, do an “UP” and tie her to a shedload of balloons, let her float away.

saves worrying about pilots stuck in traffic, wind speeds, and your mother-in-law ever again 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

Prize to philc for broaching the mother in law death elephant in the room. 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you need to justify your actions in court then i’d prepare in advance and make an unfinished scrap book suggesting it was always her dream to visit the bermuda triangle

Torminalis
    Free Member

Honest guv, she said she knew what gap jumps were.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

If the balloon trip gets called off the you can always book a wing walking trip for the outlaws. 🙄

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’ve done one, took 9months for us to get it as it was constantly being cancelled due to bad weather. On the day we did manage to get up, it was really borderline and we were the only site that did fly that day in Somerset or Devon.
    I nearly used Virgin balloons, but instead went for a local company so my money went direct to them: http://www.devonandsomersetballoons.co.uk/

bear-uk
    Free Member

I went up first time, brilliant thing to do. Don’t take a big coat as its red hot under those burners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hot Air Balloon Rides’ is closed to new replies.