Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • HOSPITAL BBC2 , 21,00hrs tonight , wednesday
  • ecampbell
    Free Member

Seconded drac… So sad.

john

Our trust has recently been buying places in care homes so we can get discharge ready patients out, keeping everything else moving.

Can’t fault the logic, but it’s a pretty stark example of social care cuts costing the NHS more – it’s not a subtle but real increase in admissions due to poor home care, it’s not increased costs from generally poor public health, it’s just cold hard cash from an already stretched hospital budget paying for social services.

project
    Free Member

another start to a programe i wasnt expecting and the end was so shocking again, what the poor chaps family must have gone through, physically and mentally, and they didnt make a fuss.

Drac

Back on now.

Drac

Holy crap that was incredible.

slowoldman

I’m left thinking the balance of theatres, intensive care and normal ward beds is way out. It’s utterly ridiculous to have so many highly skilled and highly paid surgeons running around trying to secure post op facilities rather than doing their jobs.

Oh the Star Trek bit was cool.

tjagain

On the lack of beds / lack of social care. MY experience in Scotland where we are actually further down the road of integration ( but not very far) is that its the lack of funding for social care that is the issue. Its done by the lowest bidder who then cannot recruit enough staff due to low pay rates. Some areas the wait for a care package can be 10 weeks!

A couple of years ago I worked on a “winter ward” which is a dumping ground for bed blockers Delayed discharge. At that point between the two main Edinburgh hospitals which have around 1000 beds betweenthem there were > 300 delayed discharges awaiting social care packages or care home places

Purely and simply thats where the problem lies. Insufficient funding for social care and inadequate care home places for those that are state funded

Bed management are universally hated in Edinburgh for their incredibly insensitive handling of vulnerable people. I have ended up with more patients than beds on my ward because of them, I have seen old ladies bullied into going into a sub standard care home for a week – their care package was due to start in that week but they were bullied into spending the weeks wait in a ghastly care home I wouldn’t put my dog in that had failed numerous inspections. the only care homes in Edinburgh with vacancies are either ridiculously expensive or horrendously substandard

I didn’t see the programme but interesting to hear a more sympathetic view on here of those making those decisions. I’m not sure I would want to

I do acknowledge I tend to have blinkers and am only concerned with those in my immediate care

lowey

The procedure that Selwyn had to correct it trembling hand was unreal.

project
    Free Member

Oh the Star Trek bit was cool.

Dr Zulu, wrong it was DR McCoy , Zulu was a navigation and weapons officer.

But last nights was fantasti

anyone else notice the Histopathologist had a tremor as well

Drac

Just incredible wasn’t it Lowey?

Zulu? Who the hell is Zulu?

Yes I did and wondered if it was Parkinson’s.

project
    Free Member

zulu phonetic spelin of SULU off STAR TREK, he was never a dr.

MrOvershoot

lowey – Member

The procedure that Selwyn had to correct it trembling hand was unreal

My wife had the procedure he didn’t like the sound of Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) she has permanent electrodes in her brain with a CPU/Battery unit just above the collar bone and cabled tunnelled under the skin!
    Its slightly disconcerting when I’m washing her hair as you can feel the cables under her scalp.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘HOSPITAL BBC2 , 21,00hrs tonight , wednesday’ is closed to new replies.