Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Horsham to Haslemere – off-road route advice
  • tor5
    Free Member

Hi,

Missus has agreed that I can take a bike and ride home from the in-laws following Xmas celebrations. They’re in Horsham, we are in Haslemere – Whilst I know the punchbowl, blackdown and marley common well, I don’t know the area to the east at all.

I’m looking for some route suggestions & hope to make this a decent “compromise” option when family commitments trump riding. Small detours for more interesting trails very welcome!

Thanks!

theotherjonv

Don’t know the first bit but I’d get up onto Leith Hill as starter

From there, you could do summer lightning and down into Westcott, and along the path that leads along the bottom of the N Downs, but for more entertainment I’d drop west off LH (maybe past High Ashes, it’s a wide path but potential for good speed if it’s quiet), then up to Holmbury and take BKB down to Peaslake, Peaslake back up to Winterfold and then maybe one of the Winterfold trails (Evian?)back to the bottom.

From there aim to Farley Green, Blackheath, St Marthas, over to Guildford, up to the masts on the NDW, then NDW west, cut into Crooksbury and you should be on home ground.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I had a look at the OS map and not so many options, past Dunsfold and mix trails and a bit of road. Going upto Leith/NDW/Guildford seems a big diversion

njee20
    Free Member

That’s a massively circuitous route, is that the intention, or do you want mildly direct?

There’s not too much decent off road riding straight from Horsham. There are a few bridleways, you could join the Downs Link at Christs Hospital and head north, come off at Cranleigh for the Surrey Hills.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Cranleigh, Dunsfold to Chiddingfold and all points east is mainly claggy clayey mud. Could you follow the Greensands way, which is just to the south of the north downs/surrey hills?

njee20
    Free Member

That was my other comment! I would say the only mildly pleasant way would be to go Downs Link, Wey/Arun Canal path, then probably pick up the road again.

In reality I’d just take a road bike though.

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,

Turning it into an all-dayer is probably going to burn bridges, so mildly direct is good… I was wondering whether there is scope to cut across towards Petworth and Midhurst?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Got It! Downslink Horsham to Bramley. Road towards Hascombe, pick up Greensands way which comes out by Thursley Church. (some of this is footpath…) 2 hours door to door?
    There are a few pubs en route should you feel festive.

njee20
    Free Member

I was wondering whether there is scope to cut across towards Petworth and Midhurst?

Not that isn’t a shitty boggy mess.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The downslink ain’t bad. It’s flat but there’s some good nosing to be done in folks’ back gardens….

nedrapier

Just sent you an email, MrMeat 😕 😯

gpx of Weybridge to Haslemere, coming back from the downs link south of Cranleigh. 1st bit won’t help you much, obvs!

njee20
    Free Member

If I was doing it I’d rather pick my way across some more ‘interesting’ paths. The Downs Link takes you in the wrong direction, it’s not like you’re going to get a loop of the Surrey Hills in while you’re up that way. So really it’s a dull path which goes in the wrong direction, for zero gain.

I’m procrastinating furiously, so this is the route I’d take. I’ve not done all of the Sussex Border Path, there may be the odd bit of footpath, should all be passable though.

Should be broadly passable, but the area around Horsham particularly does get very wet. Downs Link etc will be fine regardless.

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

@nedrapier – ha, yeah, not one I use regularly in fact I’ve changed it now…

winterfold
    Free Member

I live pretty much smack in the middle of Nick’s route and that looks a good bet. Will be muddy, particularly on the horsey bits around Alfold, but plenty doable.

dovebiker

Yup,I ran the Greensand Way from Haslemere to Gomshall last week – Downslink intersects Greensand Way just south of Bramley and then roads / bridleways across to Hascombe, Witley, Brook, Thursley, Hindhead and Haslemere. Greensand Way is footpath only in places with narrow kissing gates with crossbars that would make it very difficult by bike – it was a squeeze in places with just a backpack. Expect a bit of churned mud in places due to horse traffic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Horsham to Haslemere – off-road route advice’ is closed to new replies.