Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Horses – Removal of said animals…..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Here's a good one for you:

I work in a quarry for a large company.
    Quarries generally have spare land which they often rent out for various activities, keeping horses being one of them

We have, err, a rather dodgy chap shall we say keeping horses on our land here. For various reasons, including complaints from the public and the fact that he seems to be exporting them as food (Yes really), his lease has not been renewed and he has to remove his animals. But he's ingoring us totally. I'm just printing out signs to the effect that if they aren't gone by a certain date, they'll be removed for him.
    RSPCA probably.
    No real questions or point, but things like this do make you wonder about some people, don't they? Why would you do this? 🙁

juan
    Free Member

he seems to be exporting them as food (Yes really

Ermm do they have another use…?

Without horses round hear, no bridle paths no rides, so yes they do have another use.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It probably takes a while to move horses – you can't keep them in your spare room until you find another field. And he probably reckons it's going to take you a while to work out how to remove them, so he has a bit of time in hand. 🙂

dmiller
    Free Member

My mum has had some dealings with these people (my parents rehomed horses and looked after them) and have found them very decent.

http://www.homeofrestforhorses.co.uk/

Horses are social animals so often a person with one or two horses and capacity will look after a old horse to provide company for their good horses.

Good luck with the guy – horse people are weird (much stranger than MTBers) and tend to be utter maniacs.

Good luck tho!

domino

Peter – you may find World Horse Welfare more helpful than the RSPCA. A friend repored a horse owner to the RSPCA who were extremely reluctant to take action afains the owner for keeping a horse in conditions where it lacked access to water. The World Horse Welfare people were very helpful.

doc_blues
    Free Member

Try one of the horse charities – eg The Horse Trust, Redwings etc – they might be able to give you some info, although probably only of any use if the animals are bing neglected (they were heavily involved in that case where that guy was keeping animals under pretty appaling conditions down in Bucks).

Dont see whats wrong with eating them myself – not the best meat, but its ok. Oh and they dont need to be expoted to go to the abbattoir for food – I visit at least 2 places which kill, butcher and then ship the meat off to the Frenchies in SE England on a regular basis – so what he is doing may be objectionable to some, but isnt illegal (most of the animlas these 2 places get are old / unwanted horses – numbers of which are on the increase as the recession bites)

idontlikechips
    Free Member

You could call your local glue factory, they will have a use for them.

binners

binners

idontlikechips – beat me to it 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You may jest, but when a company this size gets all legal on someone's ass, s**t hits the fan and s**t gets done. It's not impossible they'll be taken away and shot, although hopefully not.

csb

Better for the horses if they're shot now rather than enduring a journey overseas to meet the same fate.

allthepies
    Free Member

Is this gentleman, errrmmm, of Romany stock ?

dmiller
    Free Member

Better for the horses if they're shot now rather than enduring a journey overseas to meet the same fate.

Yah pretty much.

Also you don't shoot a horse – you need to use a bolt gun which makes a very strange noise.

David.

Stoner
    Free Member

cant you just push them off the quarry lip?

Bit like cow rolling, but with more burger meat.

doc_blues
    Free Member

dmiller

…and then they kick like buggery!

binners

tut tut allthepies. Are you pandering to horrible right-wing stereotypes again. You'll get lynched if you were suggesting this type of thing:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is this gentleman, errrmmm, of Romany stock ?

I'd say he's not quite that well bred, if you catch my drift?. Not met him myself, but I 'know of him' and some of his activities…..

idontlikechips
    Free Member

could the horses and/or the the keeper of the horses get a bit too close to the next blast?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We don't blast here, it's sand and gravel.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah OK, I know there are some cheery Romany travelling* folk who live near to the quarry and have some horses in adjacent fields (the other side of the A331 though)

* they don't actually travel though and live in a house.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ah OK, I know there are some cheery Romany travelling* folk who live near to the quarry and have some horses in adjacent fields (the other side of the A331 though)

Do you mean the bungalow at the end of Grange Road in Tongham?
    If so it's not them AFAIK.
    One of my customers either lives there or knows them too. They seem fine, but I wish they'd stop trailing a hose over the road that sprays me from a leak when I cycle through and remove that illegal knackered old Suzuki Vitara! 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

>Do you mean the bungalow at the end of Grange Road in Tongham?

Tick 🙂

Their back garden is quite spectacular in a post-nuclear holocaust styleee

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Motocross track there now!

Always fires too!

grantmitchell
    Free Member

flatten the horse with the Cat 960 and bury it in the lagoon?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Similar to me being a white anglo saxon protestant, but not doing any invading or protestation. Would be nice if Pete's thread didn't become critical of ethnic minorities.

chvck
    Free Member

No real questions or point, but things like this do make you wonder about some people, don't they? Why would you do this?

I presume this is a question regarding ethics not the legality of it in this country? In some cultures eating horse is fine, in some they'd ask that exact question over why we eat cows or pigs…. Personally, I'd have no issue with eating horse meat, it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to eat a cow but not a horse I feel. So I guess he'd do it to make money.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick then apologies!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Horses – Removal of said animals…..’ is closed to new replies.