Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Horseradish sauce
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for a hottish one, seem to ladling the supermarket ones on to my sarnies to get some flavour.

I am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to spicy/hot stuff but am ready to push on with the horseradish.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I grow it fresh, it really is the only way.

zilog6128

Tried to make some home-made stuff the other day, it didn’t turn out great though. I think maybe I didn’t soak it for long enough or possibly didn’t grate it fine enough. Any ideas Pik?

@OP in my experience the creamed horseradish sauces tend to be quite weak and the non-creamed variety are generally hotter. You could always try buying some “wasabi” powder (which is basically just horseradish with a bit of food colouring) and sprinkling that into the sauce. That’ll give it some more kick!

molgrips
    Free Member

My brother in law used to think it was pronounced horser a dish sauce.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Morrison’s use one on their ready made roast beef sandwiches that is so strong, it makes you involenteraly shut your eyes

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Find some fresh and grate some into the supermarket stuff to give it a bit of a bite!

eskay

This is nice:

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/Creamed-Horseradish-with-Garlic-C2354F4DF4.aspx

I have yet to find anything bad that they sell!

frogstomp

Having tried some of the own brand and other brands I always end up back at Colemans…

CountZero

Wasabi sauce; accept no substitute.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Zilog, I don’t grate it, peel chop and food processor gets the right consistency.

zilog6128

Wasabi sauce; accept no substitute.

Ironically, due to wasabi being very rarely found outside of Japan, your “wasabi” sauce is a substitute. If you check the ingredients it’ll probably be mainly horseradish, mustard and food colouring.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I bought a jar of grated horseradish the other day and was really impressed – I am sure it’s great to grow your own etc but as I’m not a massive meat eater it seems excessive to do so.

The English provinder company hot grated horseradish gets my vote – just stirred through a little cream and it was brilliant. I like to be assaulted by my food and it really does have a kick to it

BobaFatt
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC3lpe8hHxw[/video]

mattbee

I’d love to know who first thought of serving horse and radish together….

IGMC.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

tesco I imagine – it would probably compliment their burgers nicely

adjustablewench
    Free Member

just in case anyone wanted real wasabi

zilog6128

That is awesome, nice find! Not ridiculously expensive either. I’m gonna order some!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Horseradish sauce’ is closed to new replies.