Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Horror films that actually scared you…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So, following on from the below about Paranormal Activity, what horror films actually scared you?

For me, the only one that properly scared me was The Exorcist and I sat through pretty much every *scary* film at the time (I Spit on Your Grave, Evil Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters series, Living Dead series My Bloody Valentine etc etc etc – we would watch two and three a day every day when I first left school after CSE exams.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Watched blair witch on some seriously strong hash cakes years ago. Shat myself.

Creg

I think The Exorcist was the only one that made me feel a little uneasy, mainly for the face that keeps appearing on screen for a second and then starts appearing around the house.

I tend not to be overly bothered by horror films.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I must add that I was only 15 at the time. I don't 'get' any of the modern ones such as Saw.

The Others did creep me out though and I must have been around 30 then. (And it was only a 12 rating)!

Stoner
    Free Member

American Werewolf in London.

I think I was 12 or 13 at the time.

I know it's really a comedy, but to this day I still cant sit through it without diving behind the sofa.

JamesM
    Free Member

Alien.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but to this day I still cant sit through it without diving behind the sofa.

I normally have to dive somewhere else. Damn Jenny Agutter 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

mmmmmm. Jenny Agutter in Walkabout.

Notter
    Free Member

First viewing of The Shining sh*t me up good and proper…. Halloween also did quite a good job, think it was because Michael Myers always only walked.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Japanese versions of
    – The Ring
    – Dark Water
    – The Grudge

And the Shining is good ^^^

nockmeister
    Free Member

Halloween…didn't sleep for a week!

Coyote
    Free Member

Don't really get frightened as such by horror. But anything involving catching glimpses of creatures in mirrors unsettles me. Remember watching The Mothman Prophesies with well known hamster fan Richard Gere in it. You only ever saw fleeting glimpses of said mothman. One bit in particular where you see him in a closing bathroom cabinet mirror boiled my swede for a bit.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have to say American Werewolf , that bit on the Moor's….shiverrrr

Also The Fog (original) , that really made me pap, i had a paper round in the early mornings and had to go through a park that always seemed to have a mist/fog across it. I carried a hammer in my bag after seeing that film…god knows why!!

Oh and an awesome film of its time….The Thing. Which i understand they are re-making?

Mstly though its Werewolf films that make me uneasy…no idea why and i'm 38 lol.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

when i was a kid got up late one night and went downstairs. put telly on and 'the fog' was on. dont remember what happened in the film but i remember screaming and was **** up for about a week according to my mam.
    other than that i remember trying to climb into my cousins bed when i was meant to be sleeping on the floor, after watching 'jaws' ha. in my head his bed was a boat and the floor was the water, once again i was young.

tazzymtb

the fog- when I was about 8.
    The house on haunted hill- same sort of age EEEEEEK!!

kimbers

the thing remake is a prequel set in the norwegian arctic station

event horizon made me jump

tazzymtb

werewolves are fine, you see lots on cannock chase.
    Zombies are another matter, i still to this day look where I am living and think "hmmmm how zombie proof is it?" I think i need either therapy or to live in a castle.

mudshark
    Free Member

Not sure about scared but I certainly jumped when watching the 1st Nightmare on Elm St film when Freddie 1st appears in the real world.

alpin
    Free Member

the Omen.

that kid was scary.

watched the re-make of Texas Chainsaw in the cinema and ended up throwing my popcorn all over the place and nearly jumping onto my mates lap.

had a thing where i wouldn't even go into the deep end of a pool after watching jaws (i was young)

i don't do scary films for my own good.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Poltergiest scared me (I was 15) when I first watched it.
    Found the Omen unsettling … and Event Horizon

diggers
    Free Member

Salem's Lot when i was a kid. the boy knocking on the window proper freaked me out.

BoardinBob

The Jap original of The Ring
    Event Horizon
    Nightmare on Elm Street (When I was 13, laughably bad now)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"The Revenge of the Fat Controller" (TweakTheTail Productions, 2009).

Blackflag
    Free Member

the Ring and Blair Witch gave me the creeps from more recent films.

Halloween is the one from my youth that make me jumpy.

Worst of all was "Jaws" still scared of deep water after that. Yet I have a diving license and have swam with sharks and was fine about it, but still hate treading water out at sea. Shudder….

Free Member

When I went to see Blair Witch, we'd also indulged in some rather interesting herbs before hand, not only did we spend shed loads buying food, but ate most of it before the film came on … really cold shiver down my spine at the end 😉

greg711
    Free Member

Exorcist 3, for me far more scary than the first, and also Salems Lot, with the guy in the rocking chair!

robgarrioch

+1 for 'Ringu', or the Japanese ring – mostly quite dull but the final 'coming to visit' scene had every hair on my body trying to escape! Something to do with her movement; primeval fear.

Bunnyhop

Nightmare on Elm street,
    Halloween, finally Carrie', the bit at the end where she's buried and her hand comes out of the grave, my friends and I all screamed the place down.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Salem's Lot for me too…….scarred the willies out of me when i was about 16.
    "Mark! Open the window! Open the window, Mark!"

HTTP404
    Free Member

The Eye (Hong Kong version)
    The Devils Backbone – Spanish movie

I find Western horrors too much gore for me – rather than scary.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Omen

grievoustim
    Free Member

Exorcist 3 when that hooded figure with the big choppers crosses the screen. Candyman seemed scary when I first saw it. Unsettled for a few days by hellraiser. 2 scenes from omen 2 stayed with me – the kid stuck under the ice and the woman getting her eyes pecked by crows.

alwyn
    Free Member

Not scary, but one I could potentially see happening is Eden Lake.

zaskar
    Free Member

Poltergeist? The Fog? The Thing?

but then again I was 4 at the time…and now not afected by blood as
    an adult.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Salem's Lot when i was a kid. the boy knocking on the window proper freaked me out.

and i thought i was the only one!!! messed me up for months that did!!

teagirl
    Free Member

Hitchcock's,The Birds. Never watched anything scary again. But then I still find Dr Who and Harry Potter alarming. Are we desensitising our kids?

ski
    Free Member

I hate horror movies, think I over did the Vamp/Wolf B&W movies as a kid.

Anyway it does not take much to scare me, as a kid, most of the Doctor Who's had me hiding behind the sofa, with my parents pissing themselves.

But I guess the big one that I remember was American Weirwolf in London.

Drac

I let you know when I find one.

udnylad
    Free Member

Well, there was a series on ITV back in 1976, called " Beasts". One of the programs was called "During Barty's Party". It has stayed with me since!! 👿

Google it!

TenMen
    Free Member

Exorcist 3 when that hooded figure with the big choppers crosses the screen

I saw this at the cinema. When this bit happened, I almost did a little wee.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Horror films that actually scared you…’ is closed to new replies.