Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Horrendous Weather
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Decided to do the Dartmoor Classic 100 miler route on Sunday with a friend for JOGLE training Sunday – 🙁 head wind for 50 miles, hail, torrential rain – the FoxTor cafe was a lovely site on the way back to Princetown – a pot of tea and a breakfast bap was soooooo good.

Anyone else get caught out at the weekend ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

we rode along following a gap in the clouds yesterday.

true story.

Klunk
    Free Member

two lovely sunny morning rides here, light winds very pleasant.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Damn – Dartmoor sounded like the wrong place to be Sunday!

mactheknife

Na man not just you, had amazing weather on my outbound leg of a new route i was scouting then god almighty the heavens opened for the return leg.

Luckily i had just invested in a proper goretex jacket and shorts.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes – I have some very good “waterproof” jackets at home but we took showerproofs given the start of the ride was nice – oops 🙂

jam-bo

i did a short ride later on in the day, 15m around tavistock and up onto cox tor. was pretty windy but no rain.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think the rain must of flippin followed us! I have never seen so many rainbows in one days ride!

http://lejog.foxyrider.co.uk/?p=1657

fuzzhead
    Free Member

had sunshine, torrential rain, hail yesterday. And empty trails 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I only saw the hardcore riders out yesterday in winter gear 😉

jam-bo

I only saw the hardcore riders out yesterday in winter gear

yep, 3/4’s, thermal and a windproof gilet… 8)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yesterday was good, surprisingly where we rode had held up reasonably well considering the amount of rain we have had over the last 2/3 weeks.

The rain came mid afternoon, and trashed it though. The local woods are utterly wrecked though, it’s worse than it’s been all winter!

Looking at the various weather sites, we’ve got another 10 days of it too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice sunny ride on sunday here

curriedcustard
    Free Member

What’s the point of wearing so called breathable waterproof jackets when the forecasted rainfall DOESN’T materialise, and you simply produce your own running water showerbath inside, by your exertions?

Bah!!

binners

I’ve been going through a very odd experience over the last week. Every time I get my bike out, the rain immediately stops and the sun comes out.

Its obviously part of some elaborate set up by God, or Allah or somebody, to lure me out into the most exposed part of open moorland, at the furthest point of the ride, before unleashing a tsunami of horizontal hailstones

instanthit
    Free Member

Did the Devon Dirt yesterday, great ride through devons finest cow s*** encrusted lanes!! Got caught in some showers but riding in the woods a lot so some shelter available. Always think if its wet mtb is more fun than on the road bike.
    Most exspensive ride i have done for a while as my garmin bounced off at some point down a muddy lane, now means looking at upgrading to the 800, gutted!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oopsy – I H – my mate did it yesterday – I usually do it every year – what were the off road conditions like on the Devon Dirt yesterday?

instanthit
    Free Member

Conditions were greasy.
    All the lanes were sloppy slime which sprays all over you!! Still enjoyable ride as always though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – yeah tiz long enough to be enjoyable rather than painful 🙂

boxbuster
    Free Member

I love riding in the rain and always grab my bike when it starts, actually prefer it for some reason, came out of my local woods yesterday though into a hail storm that stung my face and head so much I had to take cover, the hail stones were the size of marbles!!

bitemebryn
    Free Member

I found the last few miles of the Devon Dirt quite painfull, maybe I just need to MTFU !
    Good ride though in very changeable conditons, the food was excellent this year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I decided to follow the break in the clouds for my rides over the weekend. To my left looking inland I had mahooosive black hanging clouds, to my right I had super clear sunlight and bright blue skies, not really a choice eh. But I did get very very wet when I hit a steep climb up Beacon Hill in the downs where it just bucketed it down, at least it was clean big lumps of rain and not that horrid drizzle/mizzle.

Clover

I am sure I rode through the same hailstorm twice yesterday, it moved along a bit, lulled me into a sense of weather security and just as I’d committed to doing the full Mary Towneley loop instead of bailing at Holme Chapel it moved back overhead. It was so intense I didn’t see a turning and did a whole extra hill before I realised. Oh, how I laughed. Not.

andytherocketeer

Was sunny, got ready to go out on bike, then I heard thunder. Storm to the north, and another to the south. Glorius sun again 15mins later.

Then while at the furthest point from home, blue sky and rain ❓ 😕

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im absolutly fed up of this tbh….

those few weeks ago when we had sun, sun and more sun were brilliant!

two minutes to get ready, to minutes to get back in car after…..now its just like winter again, only slightly warmer and lighter at night….last few night rides ive done ive managed to catch hail storms, one a few weeks back was just a killer, it really did feel like a winter night ride minus the dark….

im just looking forward to tshirt weather, managed 2 rides in that sunny spell at night with a tshirt on, since then its been full on winter kit again, and more mud/wet than winter!

i long for the days/nights i can just razz about in a tshirt leave everythign nice and dusty till the next time 🙁

plus all the great new stuff ive found recently, has only been ridden in the wet/mud since before xmas time, meaning that when they do dry out again they should be brilliant/fast/techy and swoopy instead of for the last 5 months just wet/mud/sliding etc and very good and new…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – I had put my winter kit away – have pulled it out again 🙁

jwmlee
    Free Member

Yip, hail, rain and wind.

Moors are as wet as they were before we had that clear spell in March.

Winter gear and mud tyres back on. At least the days are long!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as i said above, its almost worst than winter at the mo, ok temps not as cold, but defo the mud/rain/hail is worse around here than its been all winter i think….

i wouldnt mind it if it just dried up, doesnt have to be basking sunshine, just some dull dry days at worst, instead of heavy rain for hours, 1 hour sun then back to rain again….

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 OW 🙂

Clover

Drought? Anyone? I did spend the wetter part of the slog inventing a rig that would collect rainwater in a special compartment of my camelbak as I pedalled along so that I could send it to parched southerners. I’m sure it would be a winner…

thegerminator
    Free Member

Did the exmoor beauty sportif
    yesterday conditions on the
    open moor above dulverton were
    truly horrific i had to MTFU 😈
    Taking the mtb with slicks a
    good idea, was that the zummer
    a few weeks back!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh god TG, not a good day to do that up there ?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

We had rain, hail and snow on Snowdon yesterday.
    Pretty much like any other Summer’s day then!

Top of the Rhydd du descent was “a little sketchy”

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from another sprint around the Downs and it rained hard before I left, it rained hard during, it’s still raining hard.

I got thoroughly soaked and actually quite liked it as it was hard rain and clean, not that mizzle stuff.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Horrendous Weather’ is closed to new replies.