Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Horizontal dropouts with gears and discs – problematic?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just how much of a pain is it?

Only when the wheel needs to come out or are there other issues?

BillOddie

Depends…what track end design?

Kahurangi

Do a search, there have been a handful of topics on this during the last week.

Track ends= unrepeatable disc alignment, slipping under high loads, lightweight.
    EBB= variable geometry, heavy, tidy.
    Sliding dropouts= awesome but looks less neat
    Tensioner= versatile, less tidy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does depend. I have them on a Road Rat and run gears and disc. Don’t have any issues (using shortest chainstay). Only problem was with mudguards but use the SKS quick release clips and all is good. I even tow 2 kids in a trailer attached by the rear QR and don’t have any issues!

honourablegeorge

Jon Taylor – Member

Track ends= unrepeatable disc alignment, slipping under high loads, lightweight.

Not really with gears though, assuming you go for the shortest chainstay

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Track ends

No plans to run mudguards I’m mainly thinking about disc alignment – don’t ever plan to run it without a rear mech

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had problems with wheel slipping when braking, but it only happens when the disc is mounted on the seatstay so the disc force tries to move the wheel backwards in the dropout.

Anyway, it was solved by using a Shimano QR skewer.

Olly
    Free Member

Had an on one slotty. Axel rammed forward in the slots, wasn’t straight! One slot longer than the other! Had issues with it moving, till I got a hope bolt up hub. Huge long 9mm steel bolts with teeth were rock solid!

letmetalktomark

I was going to ask the same question so registering interest ….. 😀

My Fortitude (running a Rohloff) requires me to move the outboard brake caliper to remove the wheel.

My Longitude doesn’t have this problem as the caliper is inboard.

I’m planning on fitting a derailer to my Longitude but can’t work out if it will be a ball ache to remove the wheel
    😕

It would seem the best route would be to remove the skewer and let the wheel drop out vertically 😕

jameso

Potential PITA combo but only if you fix flats or brake really hard regularly. Track ends for a SS have advantages of solid simplicity and can work fine with bolted axles, but if you’re only ever using gears and also use a QR I’d rather have a vertical dropout, SS it via sliders or EBB.

honourablegeorge

Olly – Member
    Had an on one slotty. Axel rammed forward in the slots, wasn’t straight!

🙂

Of course, On Ones run on different rules

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have them on my on one. Ran it with gears and a chain tug on rhs. Set once and never had a problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Horizontal dropouts with gears and discs – problematic?’ is closed to new replies.