Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Horizon: Sugar vs Fat (BBC2 9pm)
  • geoffj

wobbliscott – Member
    To be fair I don’t think the programme was aimed at people like us, people that already get the thing about exercise and a healthy balanced diet – even if we don’t stick to it all the time. But there would have been plenty of Dorito scoffing blobs sat on their sofas with plates of cheesecake and donuts lined up for pudding to whom (who?) this programme just might have been a revelation!

Wobbli, I think you’re being a little generous to some of the folk on here. There are plenty on fad diets.

back2basics
    Free Member

few points, the American doctor seemed to target fast & frequent insulin response as a big issue caused by high sugar diets,
    yet at the end of the program, they simply measured a single insulin response, to drinking a sugar’d drink that the ‘fat diet’ guy had not had in over 4 weeks. should they have not done insulin response during the day with eating what they were on for 4 weeks?????

also, the 50:50 ratio – people will now think they should avoid a single food group that contains 50:50 ratio, when in fact if in one hand you have a full sugar coke and the other a burger, you got a 50:50 problem right there…..
    and …..
    is it 50:50 per eating meal, or 50:50 in general for a few hours, a day? month? year?

one thing that comes out from ANYTHING to do with “being fat” – exercise is good.

so WHY ARE WE BUILDING MORE ROADS THAN CYCLE LANES

Cougar

one thing that comes out from ANYTHING to do with “being fat” – exercise is good.

Nail, head.

We live in a society where people are more sedentary than they’ve ever been. When you see black and white photos of a collection of, say, miners, how many of them are overweight?

My local ASDA now has a drive-through collection point for online orders, so you don’t even have to walk the twenty yards from a parking spot any more.

In the US, obesity capital of the world, the car is king. I once visited an area with two shopping malls on opposite sides of the road, and it wasn’t possible to walk from one to the other. The expectation was that you’d drive between them. Pavements and walkways were in place but they were decorative; if you went down them, they just ended in the middle of nowhere.

How many people are there whose sole daily exercise is to walk from their front door to their car (which has to be in ‘their’ space outside their house or they get shirty), and from the car park to their desk at work, and back?

Never mind whether a bag of chips is worse than a bag of Haribo or not. You want to lose weight, park your car 15 minutes’ walk from your house you bone idle bastard.

edlong
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is Horizon generally not the series it once was?

There was a lot more distracting camera work and general appearance of a pretentious DP at work than there was decent science in that prog.

They said, pretty much at the start (in a ‘throwaway’ remark) that the study with a sample size of two was “not very scientific” and then at the end acknowledged that, to draw any meaningful conclusions, you’d need a much larger study, so why proceed with the whole, meaningless thing at all? It was just an unentertaining, unengaging rip off of Supersize Me.

And the identical twins thing didn’t help – I kept losing track of which one was which.

geoffj

To make it easier to drive to trail centres – duh!

samuri
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think the programme was aimed at people like us, people that already get the thing about exercise and a healthy balanced diet

You realise you posted this on STW don’t you?

Klunk
    Free Member

this 50:50 ratio thing ? throws up some interesting questions

plain toast
    toast with butter.
    toast with butter and jam.
    thick toast with very thinly spread butter.
    thin toast dripping in butter.
    just butter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Horizon is deffo not the programme it once was, no where near.

WobbleCam and OutoffocusCam and DistanceshotCam and InstragramCam are the norm now for any, repeat ANY, BBC2 programme whether it be fact based or fiction, both genre treated the same.

PoS IMO.

You know what I think, I think we ought to get a group of STW’ers together and a bloke with a iPhone in video mode and do a programme of the benefits of riding bikes outdoors, get Chips to provide the narrative… 😉

muddyground
    Free Member

We live in a society where people are more sedentary than ever.

I was decorating yesterday, and I just happened to see my neighbours either side go off on various car journeys through the day. The shortest car trip was of less than 20 seconds, the longest perhaps a minute tops. I got asked to give somebody a lift at work not so long ago; didn’t ask where to, just agreed. Turned out to be the shops over the road. The walk to my car was a longer journey.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@ klunk

scratch the toast, make it a scone
    lashings of clotted cream
    large dollop of jam

Is it just me, or is Horizon generally not the series it once was?

It’s not just you.

I recorded this, but I think I’ll skip it after reading this thread.

I’m already down with the natural-stuff-and-exercise-is-good-for-you thing. Barring the odd scone with cream and jam, of course.

chakaping
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think the programme was aimed at people like us, people that already get the thing about exercise and a healthy balanced diet

😆

On a tangent: It’s nice how even TV shows which have nothing to do with cycling squeeze bikes and TdF anecdotes in now.

I recorded this, but I think I’ll skip it after reading this thread.

Worth a watch tbh, don’t just take the clever dick/armchair expert brigade’s word for it. The show didn’t make any claims beyond it’s scope and the bit with the science lady near the end wis very interesting.

piemonster

We live in a society where people are more sedentary than they’ve ever been. When you see black and white photos of a collection of, say, miners, how many of them are overweight?

I’m increasingly astonished by some folks laziness when it comes to short journeys. It’s probably become more marked in my observations since moving to Scotland because everyone I know has been met through running or biking. With the exception of GFs friends and work colleagues. But it is astonishing that mere minutes of walking justify a car journey.

There’s no doubt that the proliferation of processed crap pretending to be food is a massive influence.

But it’s a bit of a flawed comparison with oldun days photos of miners. There’s not much chance of their evening meal being Chicago Town microwave pizzas? No doubt, in general they’d still have been thinner simply due to the high work load. Not that they’d have been any healthier, not with coal dust.

piemonster

😯 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Are biscuits 50:50? This would explain why I have to eat the whole packet once opened.

Despite getting through three packets of biscuits and some home-made rocky road since Sunday I’ve just dipped to 68.3kg, as my wife’s been doing a Slimming World/Hairy Bikers thing this month so our teas have been lower carb than usual.

Garry_Lager

You get the diet and the exercise, but do you also get that fatness is contagious? One or two exceptional papers out recently that have demonstrated this phenomenon – gut flora being the key players.
    Suggests that if you’re trying to lose weight, you must cut off all interaction with fat people.

mogrim

So… cheesecake is out? Even home made? 🙁

Keva
    Free Member

cake = bad
    ice cream = bad
    trans fats = bad
    processed food = bad

pretty obvious really.

xcgb
    Free Member

I’m increasingly astonished by some folks laziness

Yeah My neighbours regularly drive to the local pub, and shop which can be walked in 3 mins tops!

They are just signing up to a gym (that they will drive to) as “they need to start excercising!”

Gym will last 2 weeks just like last time

emsz
    Free Member

So… cheesecake is out? Even home made?

No, just don’t live off it

miketually
    Free Member

cake = bad goooood
    ice cream = bad gooooood

ftfy

I had a left over Yorkshire pudding with cookie dough ice cream and honey on Sunday. It was lush.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I found it quite interesting, the muscle loss on the “Atkins” diet was quite worrying but I would like to see them do the same diets with a proper exercise regime for the month and see what the results were then ?
    I wonder whether the increased protein of the fat Diet, combined with exercise would have had a bigger effect regarding fat loss without the muscle loss.

The interesting bit for me was the difference the 2 diets made come lunchtime, given the same calorie intake at breakfast.

It was quite shocking how much the sugar guy ate until he felt full as compared to the Fat diet brother.

Ties in with 4HB / Idave 30g of protein for breakfast (Within 1/2hr of waking ideally)

The “switching off” of the part of the brain that says “Im full now” on the 50/50 mix was quite scary too…..
    Kind of explains why if I have a Jammy Dodger, I`ll do the packet :o(

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes but my illusions of STWers has been shattered! I thought that most of you were super fit cyclists with sub 10% body fat and that I was one of the few ‘fat but reasonably fit’ people on here!

piemonster

Gym will last 2 weeks just like last time

On the plus side, I’ll be able to book those one to one Pilates sessions as the instructors diary frees up.

piemonster

image by piemonster, on Flickr

mogrim

emsz – Member
    So… cheesecake is out? Even home made?

No, just don’t live off it

Yay! emsz stamp of approval! That’s good enough for me 🙂

But should I make a 70s style cold cheesecake, or Nigella’s baked NYC variety? Decisions, decisions…

hilldodger
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    …..I thought that most of you were super fit cyclists with sub 10% body fat

Nope, is the home of an unusually high proprtion of people who can’t lose weight by eating less food but are very good at wiki explaining why it’s not their fault

mogrim

Nope, is the home of an unusually high proprtion of people who can’t lose weight by eating less food but are very good at wiki explaining why it’s not their fault

… and BMI is a hopeless faulty measurement, and doesn’t apply to them as individuals.

rone

Exercise is good for you in lots of ways but I’ve never found weight loss to be one of the true benefits.

Rode for 18 years, average around 350-400 miles a month, and it always makes me too hungry to restrict calories.

Upshot is, stay at more or less the same weight.

Body adapts I reckon.

Though I suppose it’s quite possible to have a ‘fit’ heart and muscles and be a bit overweight, as was my mate – 18st, plenty of mad endurance rides, good runs on the Etape, Strathpuffer, TransWales etc. But he’s overweight.

It’s all one huge contradictive mess.

Generally you put weight on over a lifetime, everything else is a temporary battle against what the hardwiring in your body needs to do.

There is one thing for sure though, heavily processed food is not the way to go.

Shaun20
    Free Member

Don’t worry about any of this soon people will not be able to afford food and fuel. But hey we will all be getting healthier……..Result!

alaslas
    Free Member

One of the points they made was that muscle is part of the body’s endocrine system. Sacrificing it with a high protein diet where the body relies on ketosis for glucose production is an unhealthy outcome, and inefficient too, as the bike test confirmed.

The conclusion was a good deconstruction of fad diets like paleo, to be fair. They weren’t making claims about weight loss necessarily – it was more oriented towards understanding our obeseogenic culture and methods for staying healthy in it than advising on how to reduce body fat.

The 50:50 fat:sugar ratio thing was a bit of a revelation, I thought. It’s remarkable that mammals will gorge on that stuff beyond any sense of satiety, the point being that it taps into the psychology of addiction rather than eating ‘to live’.

As for exercise and weight loss, most people would be surprised how many empty calories they eat because of their perception of effort. Also, the more you eat, the more you want to eat, so there’s a degree of will power to assert in weight loss through exercise.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Wonder what the cheesecake reared Rats taste like though… 😕

the thing that bugged me was I kept forgetting which one of the two was eating what.. as I scoffed my 120g of Dairy Milk.

chakaping
    Free Member

The bit that bothered me is that, although I like ice cream, I find all doughnuts pretty unpleasant – and easily know when I’ve had enough cake etc.

It’s salty, fatty snacks that are my achilles heel – unfortunately not mentioned.

alaslas
    Free Member

A lot of salty, fatty snacks have sugar in too, deviously. Mass produced pizza being a good example. Ratios of salt, fat and sugar are manipulated to reach a ‘bliss point’. I think people need to wake up to the iniquity of the big food corporations – simple messages like those of the horizon program are to be encouraged.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well it’s had one effect, I passed on my usual 11am chcolate bar.

My only criticism of the program was it didn’t seperate high protein and high fat diets. What would they have shown if there’d been tripplets?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Muscle loss on high protein diets?

Someone should tell all the bodybuilders, weightlifters and gymnasts.

They’ll be delighted to know they’ve been doing it wrong for years.

miketually
    Free Member

Someone should tell all the bodybuilders, weightlifters and gymnasts.

I think it was on low carb diets, where the body turns muscle into sugars?

alaslas
    Free Member

Body builders aren’t doing cardio. And they probably have some carbs in their diet too. It’s well known in body building circles the effects of exercising in a fasted state.

The twin eating a pure fat/protein diet also had an alarming change in his insulin resistance over a period of only a month.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you watch it?

It was more accurately a low-carb diet.

The twin eating a pure fat/protein diet also had an alarming change in his insulin resistance over a period of only a month.

But never mind that, “iDave FTW” eh?

cr500dom
    Free Member

It wasn’t iDave !!

It was effectively an Atkins diet with Zero Carbs which relies on Ketosis for weight loss

This is not iDave / 4HB (But is constantly trotted out as such on here) 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From what I remember, the iDave diet allowed as much veg or things like lentils, pulses, chickpeas, beanz (not Heinz baked) as you wanted didn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Horizon: Sugar vs Fat (BBC2 9pm)’ is closed to new replies.