Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope’s new ‘hybrid’ pistons in Tech3 – E4 brakes?
  • steel4real
    Free Member

Anyone done it? Thinking of changing mine to the new pistons as phenolic ones often sticking.

If you did, any issues?

teethgrinder

Anyone done it?

Yes. No issues fitting them, but I also changed master cylinders to Tech4. Lever feel is better and braking way better, but that’s down to both changes, so can’t state what the pistons alone do.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

just about to, i’ve got the pistons [HBSP432] and seal packs ready to go,

just ordered a 3d printed tool on ebay so will wait for that.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155127369141
    maybe overkill but i had difficulty getting the non bore cap side pistons out on a caliper last week.

been using the blocks and the piston release blocks i got from ebay and they are great for cleaning individual pistons.
    wish i’d known about them 5 years back

honourablegeorge

whatyadoinsucka

maybe overkill but i had difficulty getting the non bore cap side pistons out on a caliper last week.

Getting those out is the devil’s own job if they are sticky

Rubber_Buccaneer

difficulty getting the non bore cap side pistons out

Pump that side out before you disconnect the calliper from the lever and I’ve not had a problem (yet)

rockhopper70

Yes, I’ve done them. Well, Hope did them….

Will the new Hope hybrid calliper pistons retro for e4?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@Rubber_Buccaneer
    i hadnt lubed the pistons for 5 years on my winter hardtail, changed over pads many times :0(.
    they get a bit damaged and immovable,

from now on , when pads get changed, i’ll clean and hunters lube the pistons, using the 3d print blocks.

i actually found the compressor worked a treat if you cover the internal hole on the bore cap side and bang through some pressure, although makes a right pop.

looking forward to rebuilding my brakes in the next few weeks

steel4real
    Free Member

@rockhopper70

How are they working?

rockhopper70

I’m ashamed to admit they aren’t fitted yet. It’s not been a great end of 2022/start of 2023 so far and family affairs have taken over. My lad did ask to go to LUBP this weekend so that might give me the impetuous to get them fitted and bedded in.

The service from Hope was smashing, and I’m assuming the workmanship will be top notch.

steel4real
    Free Member

Yeah – I will be sending them to Hope, but when I asked about fitting the hybrid pistons the guy i was talking to said it wasn’t something they had tested and they may retract a little less on the tech3 levers compared to tech4 as the piston spring is lighter in the tech4 so I was hoping for some real world experiences. I said I wasn’t sure but the chap said go for it. Their charge is very good and I can send in the caliper and lever off the hose as internal routing.

jpacey
    Free Member

Ha, I called hope this morning asking the very same thing. I got the same response as above – they haven’t tested it and piston might not retract as well

Whatyadoingsucka- how does the tool work? I often end up with only 1 of the none bore cap side pistons popping out and then have to clean, rebuild, bleed then pop the other out and do the whole process again

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d have thought with the stronger return spring in the tech 3 lever, piston retraction would be better (if possible) but no worse. I guess they’re just covering themselves.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

I would not bother ,I’m having issues with my new tech 4 brakes leaking from the caliper…..I’m on my 3rd brake that’s weeping at the piston .
    Sent each one back to wiggle for a hassle free swap but this ones going to hope in the HOPE they find a solution.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

I’m not the only one see the thread on mtbr

deanfbm
    Free Member

I also have a new v4 with a weepy piston.

Off to hope for a look.

fathomer

You must be unlucky, we’ve got 3 sets of Tech 4 E4’s in the garage and they’re all brilliant!

dyna-ti

I also have a new v4 with a weepy piston.

I read something somewhere about this. One specific early batch of V4 calipers. So a known issue and being Hope they’ll more then likely just replace for you.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I would not bother ,I’m having issues with my new tech 4 brakes leaking from the caliper…..I’m on my 3rd brake that’s weeping at the piston .
    Sent each one back to wiggle for a hassle free swap but this ones going to hope in the HOPE they find a solution.

They might be putting the returned item back in stock. I remember ordering a 5 bolt Hope rotor from them and finding the drillings were off. 6 months later, I ordered another for the second bike and they sent the same faulty one back out to me.

I’m certain Hope will sort it.

Jordan

I thought piston retraction was handled by the seal deflecting. Can’t imagine how the lever would affect it. Unless one design displaces less fluid volume than the other, even so the new levers are designed to work with the old calipers so….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Use one of those 3d printed blocks, or bend some scrap metal into the right shapes, then just pop the pistons out one at a time with compressed air into the hose fitting.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@jpacey, the marketing spiel
    ” install the U shape tool over the front ‘half’ of the caliper body, making sure the thinner leg of the U shape tool is in the pad location. Pump the on the master cylinder until the inner piston(s) come in contact with the tool. Remove the tool and gently remove the pistons. The outer piston(s) will be removed once bore caps are unscrewed”

i guess you could always hold a wide tyre lever over the bore cap side pistons and pump the non bore cap side pistons out.i found one piston would pop out, but not both, so hoping the 3d-print tool allows them both to pop out.

i’ll update once i’ve used it

nixie

If one piston comes out but not the other you can seal the hole enough with a bit of rubber and a bleed block to make the other come out.

teethgrinder

Butter knife in the rotor slot, old pad in the bore cap side, pump lever. Then remove knife, press in bore cap side pistons, and pump lever again.

I did that last time and it works better than compressed air with the caliper off the bike.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

it all depends how well maintained (cleaned and lube’d) the pistons have been.
    after 5 years of no cleaning and lube, they didnt come out easily, had to drill one out :0)

dyna-ti

i guess you could always hold a wide tyre lever over the bore cap side pistons and pump the non bore cap side pistons out.i found one piston would pop out, but not both, so hoping the 3d-print tool allows them both to pop out.

That 2nd non bore side you should be able to ‘waggle’ out once its mostly there. Plus its disposable anyway, so knife or screwdriver to get a bit of grip on it is no harm done.

steel4real
    Free Member

Thank you for all replies. Got the caliper and master cylinder back from Hope on Friday. Hybrid pistons are in and brake now fitted and bleed (internal routing so left hose in bike) seems to be all good although done a few road climbs from home to bed in new pads.

dyna-ti

Got the caliper and master cylinder back from Hope on Friday. Hybrid pistons are in.

Can I ask how much they charged to fit the pistons ?.

I’ve a new pair of, whats effectively the tech 3 V4 calipers, that I fitted to the new tech 4 lever and while i wasnt intending to upgrade the pistons, i’d be interested to know exactly how much they’d charge should I actually go for that.

Ta.

rockhopper70

I’ve had some old e4 calipers upgraded as part of an overhaul of the old brakes on my son’s bike.

The standard charge is £55 for new seals, pads and pistons, including a factory bleed.  I don’t know how much the charge might be just for pistons but when I rang to enquire about mine, the chap there was very helpful, no upselling and told me what was possible.  He did allude to the charge Hope levied being parts only, so got the bleed “free”.  I had the new style pistons fitted at the time.

I’d be tempted to give them a ring,

steel4real
    Free Member

£60 last week plus £5 return carriage. All new parts as required. If you send a complete brake it will be filled with fluid and bleed. I asked about sending a caliper only but they advised £60 flat rate charge so might as well send master cylinder as well. Includes new pads.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.