Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Hopefully moving to crydon – Where is the nearest good riding
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Hopefully I will get a job in East crydon, and I was wondering where the nearest good riding is. I like dh and xc well i like everything on the brightside, i will have a car and so can travel

andywhit
    Free Member

Wales ?

😉

slugwash
    Free Member

Hopefully moving to croydon

That’s a bit like saying ‘Hopefully getting mouth-raped by a rhino’ 😉

Anyway, forget the car The Surrey Hills and South Downs are just a short train ride away from your local station. Thameslink to Hassocks takes no time then a quick blast up Ditchling Beacon or one of the adjacent bridleways will get you up on the downs.

nukeproof
    Free Member

That’s a bit like saying ‘Hopefully getting mouth-raped by a rhino’ [;-)]

😆 I work in Croydon and can’t disagree.

As slugwash also said, Surrey Hills and South Downs

Hairychested
    Free Member

Are you leaving Barking that Croydon seems good? Live elsewhere, ride to work.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Squeaking with mirth at mouth-raped by a rhino. 😯

Joxster
    Free Member

Having lived and worked in Croydon, it’s a hell hole – Don’t Do It.

I’ve escaped from the place. There is a good bike shop there, Geoffry Butler Cycles (Darkside kit) and Bike Plus (MTB stuff) Ben the mechanic knows his stuff

vinnyeh

Don’t do the living in Croydon bit. There’s heaps of good train connections- live just about anywhere else between there and Brighton and you’ll have ok-good rding on youir doorstep, just don’t live in Croydon. As others say, Surrey Hills/North Downs is the best fro serious riding and they’re just a short train trip away.

momentum
    Free Member

I never thought I’d hear anyone say that they hoped to GO to Croydon, let alone LIVE there!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Croydon, the only town that isn’t twinned with somewhere else.

It does have a suicide pact with Erith tho…

ianpinder
    Free Member

tbh, i only hope that i live there because it means i have a job in my degree area. it wasn’t my first choice, i applied to go to leeds, but that position is no longer avaliable. I currently live in Bath, which is where I go to uni, and previously lived on the coast in devon, but in the current economic climate a grad job which pays 25k a year, even if it is based in croydon, is to good an oppertunity for me to pass up. I might live in central london with a mate and commute, or somewhere near horsham and commute, the place of work is only 2 mins from the train station.

loddrik
    Free Member

You want to live in croydon….

Why not just go the whole hog and move to Thornton Heath

I am sure the locals will be happy to relieve you of your bike, whether you are riding it or not.

ianpinder
    Free Member

nope i want the job in crydon, i dont particulaly care for 2 years where i live

Mackem

Its possible to link up a load of bits and pieces, just takes a bit of trial and error, theres a few little gems around there, cant remember too many specifics but it all kept me entertained for a couple of years.

Places to head towards include Wimbledon, Cheam, Oxshott, Epsom, Richmond, Chessington.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you want to go somewhere during the week there is a small wood that used to keep me amused for an hour just south of Croydon on the Coombe Road called Ballard’s plantation. It’s small but used to have some nice singletrack running through the place. Not sure of the legality of riding there but I never had any trouble from anyone and I remember seeing David Baker, Gary Foord and Barrie Clarke racing the British National Cyclo-cross championships there back in the day. Other than that as everyone says the North Downs are a ride able distance from Croydon or a short train journey will take you to Brighton and the South Downs. You could always live a further city-ward Norwood springs to mind which would enable you to work in Croydon and have a social life in London.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Cheers guys all is usefull, like i said, i only have an interview so i am not counting my chickens before they hatch, but i just wanted to see if there was hope….. looks like i will be living in the city and commuting to croydon hopefully if i can persuade a couple of friends to move in togeather.

momentum
    Free Member

Didn’t mean to be unhelpful and I’m sure working in Croydon will be fine if you get the job, it’s just not a very nice place to live. I’d suggest heading further into south London around Streatham/Clapham/Brixton (choose the one which best fits your budget and tolerance for urban grittiness) so that you can experience London properly and not just the outer burbs. If you are coming to live in the most crowded part of the country then I think you should live in a place where you can actually enjoy the good bits! Croydon has all the disadvantages of London with none of the benefits. Otherwise head further out and live in one fo the towns nearby si that you are actually in the countryside.

clubber
    Free Member

Hook up with the Addiscombe CC riders – they’re a most agreeable lot and ride from Croydon.

http://www.addiscombe.org/

HTTP404
    Free Member

I worked in Croydon for a couple of years. Walk past M&S towards West Croydon station and you’ll really see the lows.
    The good thing is you don’t have to live there to work there!
    Train links into E.Croydon are good. Try looking further afield… Redhill(gulp),Merstham, Coulsdon, Caterham, Oxted, Godstone, etc.,

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I work by EC and live in Sanderstead.

The addiscombe know most of the off road routes around so are worth contacting. Shirley hills has some good cheeky trails only a few minutes ride from the station

Mackem

As a place to live i’d recommend Wimbledon. Canny place to live, good links to the city and the downs, the tram goes between wimbledon and croydon.

woodsman
    Free Member

You mention Horsham [waves] it’s not at all bad here. Pitch/Leith Hill and the South Downs are a 20 min drive depending on which part of the South Downs of course. There is some local riding too, enough for an evening blast.

Haven’t been to Croydon for over 20 years! It’s got to be 20-25 miles away..

heihei

Ian – from memory don’t you ride a Nicolai? Decent dealer (Head for the Hills) in Dorking…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

you can’t take a bike on the tram though if that makes a difference

joemarshall
    Free Member

you can’t take a bike on the tram though if that makes a difference

Although it is only 6 and a bit miles of easy road riding, so I dunno why you’d bother with the tram.

Joe

mrsflash
    Free Member

Oxted

place of my yoof. Can’t see myself ever choosing to go back to Croydon!

MrSmith
    Free Member

As a place to live i’d recommend Wimbledon. Canny place to live, good links to the city and the downs, the tram goes between wimbledon and croydon.

he’s right you know. if you look at the area of wimbldon/earlsfield/colliers wood/tooting/streatham borders/furzedown/merton you are 30mins on the train to dorking for MTB riding and either a short road ride/tube/rail journey into the city, you would have to check for the best route to croydon on either overland or the tram for the quickest way to get there.
    well placed for darkside riding too as you have good access to the lanes inside the m25 around cudham/downe or going the other way out to epsom for the surrey hills and richmond park for a quick blast.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I grew up in Croydon (Sanderstead) and moved back a few years ago. yeah you may not want to hang out on the high st on a friday or saturday night when the p!$$heads are on the loose but there’s a lot of towns where that’s true. I live in a nice quiet tree-lined street, I can cycle from my door and be in countryside in 10 minutes, or get a train and be in central London in half an hour. If you can’t stand the thought of suburbia I’d suggest somewhere around Clapham Junction, easy for central London, 10 minutes on the train to EC and you get better rail connections to the South Downs, the Surrey Hills (Dorking, Box Hill etc) plus Swinley Forest is also only 45 mins on train. CJ is p0ncier (rugger boys on the piss rather than chavs, so maybe not so different – just plummier voices) and not so gritty and edgy as Brixton etc ;o) but everywhere is a compromise of some sort.

P.S. Croydon is twinned with Arnhem by the way. :o)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

do you live in sanderstead now schullelieber?
    I thought burmaboy and me are the only MTBers in da hood!

schnullelieber
    Free Member

do you live in sanderstead now schullelieber?
    I thought burmaboy and me are the only MTBers in da hood!

South Croydon – Sanderstead was too surburban, things are much edgier here.

105champ
    Free Member

I live in Oxted, which is north downs close to Croydon. Found best thing to do is get couple of OS maps and explore. Surrey Hills are generally good for xc, but get trashed by horses on bridleways and turns into a mud fest after rain. Go darkside and you’ll find great country roads and routes to Ashdown Forest.

Def. live out of Croydon and cycle/commute in. I walked from EC train station toward town and saw a bloke projectile vomit whilst walking, about 7pm on a Friday night, bout sums up croydon for me.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I walked from EC train station toward town and saw a bloke projectile vomit whilst walking

I saw someone do that the other day in Croydon but what made it even worse was the pigeons started standing in his vomit picking at the chunks. Was without doubt the most disgusting scene I have seen in ages so I thought I’d share 🙂

To be fair to Croydon, I quite like working close to the large quantity of shops and the transport links are good. So far(!) only been headbutted to the ground once but that was a while ago.

hora
    Free Member

As above, Shirley Hills is good for a short evenings blast after work. I used to get the train from W.Croydon to the North Downs (one change c.40mins I think?).

I liked Croydon, never had any trouble there. Look up the BlackSheep bar

mk1fan
    Free Member

There’s riding all around Croydon. The North Downs are a few miles South. Shirley Hils to the East.

Bracknell (The Look Out – Swinley Forrest) is a hour away by car, as is Bedgebury (just) and PORC.

Leith Hill area has awesome sections and plenty of riding from XC to DH (albeit short). There’s a volunteer Trail Maintenance team that work on the trails so that’ll be another way to meet the locals and get to know the local riding contact Mark Reynolds on mtb@hurtwoodcontrol.co.uk

Happy trails.

hora
    Free Member

ianpinder, just to add. Generalising alittle but if you come out of E.Croydon station and turn left its alot different than if you turn right..

Its no rougher than other parts of London to be fair and there are good houses/properties to be had in Croydon. I live in Manchester and for the secondtime in a year someone has been shot in my local area. True, whilst I was in Croydon 3 men were shotdead in a drinking den (cross from WCroydon station) but these things happen EVERYWHERE.

I liked it there. My local (the Oval) was spot on. I miss that place, a real mix of characters in there and many many a night I almost fell over with alcohol!

Oh yes, on the North Downs- stunning riding to be had. I still think its one of the best places to ride in England.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I work two doors away from the oval. Lucky for me you moved away before I started Hora 😉

hora
    Free Member

Hi leggyblonde, its a good pub though isnt it? Some interesting characters (inc workers, students, locals etc etc) but never any trouble etc. Edit- Ah if you work where I think you do I dont think you’d be allowed to go out for a alcoholic drink at lunch?!

schnullelieber
    Free Member

ooo the Oval, haven’t been there in a while. Used to have good quiz nights.

alexpalacefan

And not forgeting proximity to Selhurst Park to see South London’s finest! C’mon the Palace!!!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

STW oval meetup somepoint?

No, I’m not a teacher Hora! I perpetuate the cliché that most people on here are engineers…

2 doors the other way

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Hopefully moving to crydon – Where is the nearest good riding’ is closed to new replies.