Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • hope xc bearings gone again (9 months)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

How long dothe bearings last in your hope xc/pro 11 rear hubs?

I’ve got play in mine again after only 9 months when all 4 were changed. I had the same life out of the previous ones. A lot of reviews i’ve read say around a life of 1000 miles and i’m certain i haven’t done that in 9 months.

Oh.. and i haven’t used a high power jet washer in ages

z1ppy

what bearings are you using?

trickydisco
    Free Member

1st time around i used some fairly expensive one’s 2nd time around i went to a local bearing manufacturer and picked them up cheaper.

trickydisco
    Free Member

2nd lot were skf bearings i recall

z1ppy

Doh!… I posted this before I saw the post above (damn edit is pretty good)

…. SKF and FAG bearing are always the ones recommended – your LBS (local bearing supplier) will probably just sell you cheap (and nasty) chinese ones unless you ask for a ‘named’ brand.

I would try some SKF ones and see how they last next time.
    Never heard of Hope hubs developing issues due to any other reason.

Or you could send them to Hope to service (and replace the bearings) and see what they have to say.

devs
    Free Member

Mine are still going strong after 18 months of 50 -70 miles a week lugging 17+ stone of me around. Don’t do jetwash ever or Mucoff style products or even detergent. The bike will be made spotlessly clean the day it gets sold, apart from that it is not necessary.

Goz
    Free Member

Thought there was 5 bearings in a Pro 2 hub, 2 in the hub body and 3 in the freehub.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wonder if expensive bearings are actually any better considering they are not operating in the conditions they’re designed for ?

nixie

Thought there was 5 bearings in a Pro 2 hub, 2 in the hub body and 3 in the freehub.

4 in the xc though.

Mine have just given up after 6 years use.

simondbarnes

I’ve never worn any out on my Hope XC Hubs. One set 6 years old, the other about 4.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My Hope bearings last about 4 months on the front wheel and 6 months on the back. Bulb hubs. (freehub about 18 months) But then my bike usage is one of chronic neglect and abuse.

Goz
    Free Member

Yes and 4 in a x/c.

solamanda
    Free Member

How are you knocking in the new bearings?

I find rears freehub bearings last a couple years and the main bearings don’t wear (5yrs+). Fronts last about a year. I ride in all weathers and atleast 10hrs a week.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How are you knocking in the new bearings?

I was using random sockets but I borrowed the right tool this time, so we’ll see if it makes any difference… but bear in mind I trashed my Rohloff twice in 2 years by riding it through streams and rivers :o)

Vortexracing

I’ve got a rear XC that i’ve used for 2 years with no problems, and yet my other one lasted no more than 9 months with considerably less use than the other had in that 9 months. It appears that a certain amount of luck comes into the equation.

I’ve replaced my failed one with SKF brgs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘hope xc bearings gone again (9 months)’ is closed to new replies.