• This topic has 46 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by duir.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Hope X2 or New SLX brake?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Really odd one…..I’ve got both, each pretty much brand new…..have to keep one set, sell another but I can’t decide.

What would you do?

I’m torn, can’t fault SLX for power or feel and love the length of the leave, haven’t used the X2’s properly but they look proper pimp, silver with braded hoses, and damm they just feel amazingly engineered, plus very serviceable.

Head = SLX
    Heart = X2’s

br
    Free Member

Keep the SLX’s and sell me those crap Hope’s for my son’s bike 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

New SLX FTW. Awesome brakes, even compared to the best, never id the fact they’re less than £60 an end.

skywalker
    Free Member

I would have the X2’s personally

nwill1
    Free Member

2 for Hope
    1 for SLX

Anyone else?

prezet
    Free Member

SLX – I have the 2012’s, can’t fault em for value for money. I think Jedi was complaining about his Hopes the other day saying how bad they were in the wet. Might be wrong though.

Either that, or he was looking for an excuse to buy Saints 😛

easygirl

Heart =hope
    Power and reliability= slx

nwill1
    Free Member

Jedi?

coogan
    Free Member

SLX without doubt.

nwill1
    Free Member

4 for SLX
    2 for Hope

Come on I need a bigger sample.

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope every time, sell both sets and get the V2’s

nwill1
    Free Member

Ha yeah V2’s are nice but need the money….I killed my rim yesterday.

hambl90
    Free Member

slx

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be keeping the SLX.

jedi

i use v2’s and they squeal and dont stop as well in the wet 🙁
    had them years and rarely ride in the wet

bunnerscj
    Free Member

X2’s everytime !

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’d have the SLX straight away!

nwill1
    Free Member

Jedi – I was reading you were a bit of a guru….any experience with the 2012 SLX for comparison?

lazybike
    Free Member

hope on the front, slx on the back…hth

jedi

never used shimano brakes 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hope

Sell the shimanos now they have some value.

nwill1
    Free Member

Any other reason other than value? I think the hopes will fetch more!?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Reason? the hope are a far higher quality product, pads last longer, spares are available

Compare how the pads are fastened for example- on the hopes its a stainless steel machined pin with O rings – last shimanos I had ( LX) was a mild steel split pin

munrobiker
    Free Member

X2s are massively underpowered compared to SLXs (or just about any brake for that matter). SLX all the way.

Also, in contrast to Jezza, I’ve found Hopes to be massively unreliable so while they look well made, they aren’t. Conversely my Shimanos are faultless.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

X2s are massively underpowered compared to SLXs (or just about any brake for that matter). SLX all the way.

+1!

nwill1
    Free Member

SLX 8
    Hope 5

Northwind

The Hopes aren’t as good and you’ll probably be able to sell them for more, simples…

skywalker
    Free Member

I have some 2012 X2’s and they are definitely powerful enough. I used some 2012 XT today, I would say they are more powerful, but power isn’t everything. You can only have so much before they lock up.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

love my slx brakes but im not sure how much use they’ll be to me after a year of usage, time will tell.

jordie
    Free Member

X-2 with normal pads are pretty bad, X-2`s with sintered pads are really good.They do need to be lined up centered with the disc to get the best out of them but once set up and with sintered pads i really like them.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d keep the SLX brakes myself. I gave up on Hope a long time ago; they’re lovely looking, spares are easy to get and they’re British however the last few pairs I had and those of friends were unreliable. When we went to Morzine I was running Hayes brakes, everyone took the mick because they were ugly, heavy etc but never missed a beat unlike their M4’s.

I had the original Saint brakes and they were awesome, mega powerful in all weather and needed very little maintenance.

nwill1
    Free Member

12 SLX
    6 Hopes

prezet
    Free Member

Compare how the pads are fastened for example- on the hopes its a stainless steel machined pin with O rings – last shimanos I had ( LX) was a mild steel split pin

Makes no difference to performance. SLX are cheaper than Hope – true, but still hold their own against them, if not out performing them (can’t say for certain as haven’t used X2’s). Shimano build quality is top notch.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Hope X2’s every time!

hugh_b
    Free Member

I’ve used hope’s for years, great pad life, spares back up and looks but just don’t cut it with me. I’ve had the x2 and m4’s and both have been under powered and didn’t cope with heat all that well. I don’t even consider them anymore!

A mate has got the new xtr trail brakes which are awesome. I’m using avid elixir myself which have also been fantastic (touch wood) and i wouldn’t change them for anything.

Go for the slx

nwill1
    Free Member

Looks like its heading for function over form….head over heart….may well be posting X2’s in classified very soon.

skywalker
    Free Member

Looks like its heading for function over form….head over heart….may well be posting X2’s in classified very soon.

Do you feel the X2’s are under-powered?

Edit: I just read the original post. Put them on your bike then make up your mind, I bet you keep the Hopes.

duir
    Free Member

i use v2’s and they squeal and dont stop as well in the wet

Doesn’t that describe all disk brakes ever? 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I got the X2 evo’s for Christmas so I hope they are good 🙁

jedi

no. the kid i was coaching rode my bike for a bit and could stop on his easily but not on mine!! same conditions diff brakes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Hope X2 or New SLX brake?’ is closed to new replies.