Hope Vision 4 upgrade to XMLs

Home Forum Bike Forum Hope Vision 4 upgrade to XMLs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Hope Vision 4 upgrade to XMLs
  • Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Been a while looking at this Hope 4 but finally done it
    managed to slot 4 XMLs in it and a new driver so here are the first results I am not sure what the Hope battery can deliver so am only driving the leds at 1.5 amps so approx 2200 lumins .

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

not managed to hit 4000 Lumens yet? 😉

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

OOhh interesting..

would this be an upgrade you offer to others? (if so how much)

tk46hal

I was going to ask about the Vision 4 lights to see if they were worth the money, but looking at the photo’s, they look great. By the way, what is XML, new LED bulbs or something?

forzafkawi

No doubt you’ll post more details of the conversion either here or on MTBR. In the meantime any idea what optics are in use in the Hope Vision 4? It says on their website that there are 3 spot (+/-5 deg) and one flood (+/- 15 deg).

Also the original battery is a 7.4V 5200 mAh job so either the original LEDs are wired 2S2P or it is using a boost driver. How you have wired the XM-Ls and what driver are you using?

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

No idea what the optic is it is a custom job for hope so the website will be correct .

I have used the hope optic it does give a floodier beam as the photos show .

I believe it is a boost driver but did not check it out as was scrapping the driver anyways .

I have wired the leds 2s2p and am using an Lflex driver from http://www.taskled.com

forzafkawi

Cool. Are you going to offer this conversion in the same way you have for the Hope Vision 2?

cooie

Could the conversion be used with a bigger battery to make it even brighter?

zacgillbanks

I’d just like to give a shout of thanks to Troutie for XML’ing my Hope
    Vision 4 lights. They’ve gone from 960 lumens to around 2000 on max!!!
    I’ve only had the chance to try them out once but the light level and
    spread is fantastic, far superior to how they were before hand. Cheers
    Troutie – highly recommended!

Whyte1

Very interested trout

cooie

Me too. Ok to send you my Vision 4 for conversion?

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

Nice – I’m interested too.

Might be a dumb question but how do run-times compare before and after the XML upgrade?

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Might have to wait till after christmas as buried under a mountain of vision 2s at the moment

also post gets a bit iffy for losing parcels at this time .

Premier Icon younggeoff
    Subscriber

Very Very interested, as I live round the corner from Zac I think I’ll be popping in to do a comparison.

Premier Icon younggeoff
    Subscriber

Very Very interested, as I live round the corner from Zac I think I’ll be popping in to do a comparison.

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

Any idea on cost?

Depending on how much, I would be a possible for the New Year.

cooie

Good point re postage, Chris. I’ll mail you after Christmas and arrange it.
    Cheers Ian.
    Leku, l think we’re looking at about £85

Whyte1

£85 i’m in , any idea on run time

*registers interest*

DarkIgor

Also interested

mrjmt
    Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Only done the one for Zac above so maybe he can report on it please

just finished another one today I cant do runtime experiment as only have the light head and no battery .

what you get is approx 2000 lumens on full you still have three levels of output and a strobe mode

on full it will pull 3.5 amps from the battery so you should be able to workout the approx runtime from your battery specs .

medium pulls around 1.5 amps

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Hi Trout, did you get my reply to your reply to my email :D? No hurry just checking as I know you’ve have email issues recently.

Ta

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

That depends who you are Nixie
    have you just paid for a light?

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

No not paid for anything yet.

😀 sorry forget about that. Was from nixie_me at hotmail d o t com re hope connectors and vision 2 upgrade.

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Found it Nixie and replied

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

😀 thank you.

mrjmt

Trout,

Do you reckon this upgrade is DIY-able like the vision 2?

I’m handy with a soldering iron but can’t do any machining of the lamp housing if thats required.

Also, if its not DIY-able, what timescale are you looking at at the moment for the conversion?

Cheers.

foxyrider

Troutie – be in touch soon – just waiting for further input but nearly there now! 😉

peakprowler

Troutie, how much can you supply XML leds for?

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

£7 each plus postage

peakprowler

Cool, I’ll take four, what will postage be? Is paypal ‘gift’ OK for you to email in profile?

amsterdan

hi trout did you get my email about the maxx d and joystick?

zacgillbanks

Regarding the burn times, I’ve ridden my Trouted Hope 4 about 7 or 8 times now. I normally ride for about an hour or so and the battery hasn’t needed to be recharged yet.

I normally vary the light between flashing, low and medium – only occasionally having it on full power. So I don’t have any specific burn time figures – sorry.

I can say the light is bloody brilliant now off road and with it flashing at 2000 lumens certainly gets you noticed in traffic!

mrjmt

Kind of an old thread to bring back to life (sorry).

Has anyone got any pics of the inside of the hope vision 4?

I’m considering this upgrade, but notice that trout mentioned that the one he had upgraded was sent to him as the owner pulled the domes off the standard LEDs while removing the optic. I’m quite happy with the electronics involved, and a little bit of small scale fabrication but I dont want to take the optic off mine and decide I can’t do the upgrade DIY style and end up with a useless light!

Trout, if you’re about, do you remember what size stars the standard leds were on? were they on 4 separate stars or a single star with 4 emitters on?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

next time I get a vision 4 in I will take some photos and do a how to mod the beast .
    but at the moment it seems to be vision 2 s that are dropping through the letterbox

the bezel on the hope 4 Can be rra right Git to remove first a spray with penetrating oil helps
    and some marigolds to aid grip .
    the oring under the bezel sticks to the optic a d twists it round breaking the legs and removing the led domes this is not too much of a problem as the upgrade replaces the LEDs and driver but does make locating the optic a hastle

vision two thread is here for those who have emailed me
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-vision-2-is-upgradable

Mugboo

For those that are interested, Trout has upgraded my R4 as well.

It needed doing because my Trouted Vision 2 had quite literally put it in the shade!!

andysredmini

Can an Exposure Enduro be modded? mine is starting to look a but under powered compared with some of the newer lights.

Premier Icon cb
    Subscriber

Excuse my ignorance but would a user carry on with the original Hope batteries or would replacements be required? I ‘assume’ the batteries would drain quicker?

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

cb, uses the original batteries. The drain question is a bit more difficult. The newer leds may be more efficient so use less power per lmn, however they might also be running at a higher power level so use more. Then again as the lower power levels now output more light and the leds run more efficiently on these settings you may find you get better run time as you only need to use medium most of the time, with hi only for downhill sections.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision 4 upgrade to XMLs’ is closed to new replies.