Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 217 total)
  • Hope Vision 2 is upgradable
  • nixie

While there is a post of hope light owners here does anyone know what make/model the connector used for the batteries on these lights is, or of one that is compatible and maintains the IP rating??

nixie

Trout, is this the button your using??

trout
    Free Member

Yes it is Nixie

also a bit cheaper and I may be looking at them when my stock of the others runs out
    these

Well ?? Parksie

parkesie
    Free Member

I gave in busy chopping things up and soldering results soon 🙂

nixie

Cool, thanks. Just seen the illuminated switched too, trying to decide if one of those link to the status led of my bFlex would be neater :D.

parkesie
    Free Member

1st problem my light unit uses normal alen bolts internally driver and ally heatsink wont mate up.

trout
    Free Member

Yes a problem that the first two i did had a small headed screw in there
    and the others had the allen bolts
    I had to swop for some M3 button heads I had .

grind the top of the allen bolt down and cut a slot for a screwdriver as a last resort

Hi Trout

yeh just checked and yes it is plastic. Do you do lamp fixes as well as mods. As I am not sure if its the battery or the head unit thats gone or a wire come a drift some where.

trout
    Free Member

Harrison T H

it is usually the wire breaks in the back of the light head it seems to be a weak spot

unless the bulb has gone then its expensive

Mmmm hope its not the bulb how can I check if its a cable or bulb?

Sorry about all the questions but would like to get it up and running again

parkesie
    Free Member

All working on the bench
    put it together nothing cable snapped
    take apart re wire still dead uhoh 🙂

looks like i might of killed the driver lol

trout
    Free Member

which cable snapped any pics of the disaster area

parkesie
    Free Member

main pos from battery then i pulled the – off as well

just trying again to get them on

balls deffo dead burnt a track on the board after dropping solder into on of the chips doh fat fingered numpty

Ming
    Free Member

Hi Mr Trout,

I’d be really keen to get this done to my vision 2. I run mine off of a DX magicshine battery from about 2 years ago, will this be ok? I’ve emailed you to check.

Cheers,
    Mark.

khani
    Free Member

Just has a play with mine, no beam shots cos my phone cameras crap,
    I am indeed illuminated!!! 😯

Hi Trout

Thanks for the tip just taken the lamp apart and yes one of the battery wires has broke off the board will re-solder it at the weekend and hope it was just that. 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Just been out on a ride with Flip who’s lights have been upgraded by Trout. Great job from what i saw on the trails tonight, plenty of light with a good beam.

Sure Flip will be along soon to confirm this with his experience of the lights.

Well done.

flip456
    Free Member

as bigbloke says above the led upgrade has made a massive difference 😀 rode for 1.5 hours on medium and high settings and the little hope battery still had juice left. I’ll be out again on Thursday night and will try to get some more definate run times. the light now has 3 settings (no flashing) low is similar to high, pre mod. medium is great for general riding (used this most of the time)and high has completly changed the downhill/ fast sections or just when bigbloke and his ‘dominator’ light are near by 8O.

great service by troutie, as i sent my lights on saturday lunchtime and they were back at mine monday at 10am amazing, thanks chris.

khani
    Free Member

the light now has 3 settings (no flashing) low is similar to high, pre mod. medium is great for general riding

If you press and hold the button from off, the lights do
    flash

camerone
    Free Member

Trout – i have an exposure joystick with knackered battery, would be happy to be guinea pig to see what you can do with it?

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ll be taking out my upgraded Hope2 tonight to Kentmere/Sadgill. Its looking dry so will take my camera and see if I can get some shots out in the wilds.

Just from a quick comparison in garden the other night the upgraded mark1 Hope2 is far far brighter than the mark2 Hope2 I’ve also got. The light retains its good spread of light with no real hotspots – much better than the XML Bastids.

trout
    Free Member

I seem to have quite a stock of hope lights either at my house or waiting at the sorting office for me to collect

If you have mailed me in the last 2 days about sending one for upgrade
    hang in there and I will reply but only after tomorrows mail has arrived then I will know how many more I can do before running out of parts .

More parts are on order but the drivers will be a few weeks sadly

trout
    Free Member

Camerone
    Yes by all means send it along

camerone
    Free Member

Trout- Ok, can you DM me your address and I will pop in the post early next week.

GavinB

Just back in from my test ride with my ‘trouted’ old Hope LED2.

I think mine are the ones Trout posted beam shots of on the previous page, and I really just got in touch out of curiosity, as I’d been thinking about getting one of those cheapy new things from China (with double XML LEDs), then I got to thinking that they looked a lot like my old Hope light…

So, saved me a bunch of cash over a new, cheap light, let alone a new premium brand one.

First off, great work from Trout: I sent them off first thing last Friday, he got them on Saturday and had them on their way back to me on Monday.

The ‘low’ setting is now just a bit lower than the old ‘high’ setting, or at least that what it felt like. Turned it on to full whack and rumbled off down the San Marino descent off Winter Hill. Simply incomparable to the old light – lovely floody light, tons of power and certainly enough throw for open moorland descents (where the light tends to get more dispersed without any trees to reflect light back in).

Very, very happy with my new (old) light – nice one Trout! You’re a star!

😀

bigjim

I think troutie deserves some kind of STW Knighthood for putting up with it all!

camerone – I took my joystick apart last night. I’ll get some photos up if you are interested.

tomaso
    Free Member

It was a bit wet tonight in the Lakes and we even got some hail too so no photos. However the light works really well and is just as waterproof as before! The high setting is great for downhills and tech and the medium/low adequate for everything else. It give a really nice flood of light with no hotspots – unlike every other XML light I’ve used.

The little 2 cell Hope battery lasted a 2+ hour ride switching between high and low for the downs and the ups.

All in all very pleased, its given my old light a new lease of life.

trout
    Free Member

Thanks for the feed back Gavin and Tomaso very helpfull to know its a good improvement .
    and i have seen how fast Gavin is as he got a loaned Liberator on tho podium a couple of years ago at D2D. 😯

it was indeed yours in the beam shots

Bigjim. i am interersted in the pics whack em up please

just curious. did the light dim its self at all when out due to the heat. as only bench tested in my nice warm
    house .

Camerone. cant find an email addy in your profile ??

tomaso
    Free Member

I think it did dim a little but was unsure whether the battery was dropping off or what – didn’t feel lamp unit to see if it was hot. However on the fast descents it stayed on full power so no problems.

I’ve got a Hope 4 cell battery on its way to me so will test it flat out next week with no qualms about battery life!

And finally the U2 XML seems a little more yellowy than the T6, a bit warmer or if you were less charitable pissy 😉

GavinB

I wasn’t aware of any dimming taking place, and didn’t check the heat of the unit at any time, so I guess that means that if there was any dimming, it was very modest at worst. The battery wasn’t fully charged up either, in fact it already had a two hour ride ‘out of it’ from last Thursday, but still managed fine for my little test ride of 1.5 hrs.

I’m going to try to sneak out again tonight, with a fully charged battery, so will make a point of checking on the heat of the unit.

trout
    Free Member

Thanks

the U2s are supposed to be a bit less cold they are a natural tint
    and supposed to show the colours in the dark in a more natural way

less of the bluey light that a lot of lights suffer from .

you would know as it dims from full to low if overheating

and it will dim as the battery depletes or wont let you switch to full power so better be new home or have a spare battery .

snaps
    Free Member

Chris, do you have a couple of bflex or b2flex drivers spare?

trout
    Free Member

Hi Mark

Yes got some B2flexs in stock

drop me a mail with your addy on and will post them off .

Tasso
    Free Member

Trout,
    Like Camerone I have an old style Joystick and was on the verge of buying a 2012 version because both the batteries I have don’t last long anymore. Struggling to find a replacement cell and it’s a bit overshadowed by mates with your lights and even my Mrs 2010 Joystick.

If you can alter the led for greater brightness and find or supply a compatible battery I’d be chuffed as I love the mounts it has and I have several which is really handy.

Tasso
    Free Member

Also have an early twin led USE Enduro – worth doing something with that?

Swalsey
    Free Member

Hi Troutie,

Exciting news to hear that the hope 2 LED is now up-gradable! I was talking to you about it via email last year. Are you able and happy to upgrade my Mk1 sometime soon please? If so, please drop me an email (swalsey@hotmail.com) with your address and I’ll pop it in the post ASAP.

Does it retain a switch at the back of the lamp unit, or is there something else as in the earlier MTBR link?

Thanks,

Antony

trout
    Free Member

Yes I should have looked into it a bit more then Swalsey

the MK1 is a beauty for this upgrade

Now got a bit of a supply problem I have received a load of hopes today
    and had a work out .

I will have 5 upgrades left when these are done so will start and mail the next five who have sent the emails in date order

I have plenty of leds on order its the drivers which will be the delaying factor as Taskled is on holiday till mid Nov so cant order any till he returns so realistically it will be Dec before I get any more drivers .

depending on state of the rubber switch cover I can use that and a small micro switch or if its worn then I use a whole new switch .

Swalsey
    Free Member

Sound. I’ll send you an email to put myself in the que! Thanks

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m hoping mine are in the batch that you’ve been able to do already 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Sent 4 out yesterday

jim / paul / chris / kevin

and am on with another 5 today

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision 2 is upgradable’ is closed to new replies.