• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope V twin, Juin Tech R1 or TRAP Hy/Rd?
  • superjohn71
    Free Member

Price wise, there isn’t a huge amount in it – V twin can be had for £220, Juin Tech £150 and TRP Hy Rd for £176, so it’s down to which performs the best. Is for an adventure bike and will be controlled by 105 10 speed levers. I’m leaning towards the hope as it has a shorter cable run but what is the STW opinion of which is best?

mattbee

My Juin Tech are about a year old. Work fine but do feel a bit wooden.

RustyNissanPrairie

Juin Tech here also, chosen because they are 50gram (IIRC) lighter than the Hyrd, and easier to set the ‘pull’ / lever travel which im happy with. Power wise I fitted sintered pads and am running 180 front disc 160mm rear to get somewhere near what I’d like but they aren’t brilliant. This is on a steel framed gravel bike, I weigh 87kg.

I havnt fitted compressionless cables yet due to the faff of having to retape the bars.

Hydro’s are the answer but at a cost.

tofu21

Didn’t like the hy/rd at all, loads of slack before the pads made contact with the rotor. I stuck with them for 6 months before upgrading to vtwin.

Dibbs
    Free Member

loads of slack before the pads made contact with the rotor.

That can be cured by topping up the brake fluid.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Didn’t like the hy/rd at all, loads of slack before the pads made contact with the rotor. I stuck with them for 6 months before upgrading to vtwin.

This.
    I tried swapping from the V Twins to some Hy/Rd’s and hated them. I messed about putting extra fluid in etc but they still felt crap.
    The V Twins were great, just the looks weren’t great.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Hello and Merry Christmas!

I had exactly the same debate last year and went back and forth looking for economical 10sp solutions to upgrade a stock Genesis Equilibrium Disc to Hydros.

In the end I went for SRAM S700 (double-tap hydros), with SRAM Rival rear mech and kept the stock Shimano 105 bits at the front. Works flawlessly and is a doddle to bleed/setup.

As it happens I’m now selling this complete 2×10 setup, as I’ve enjoyed it enough to want to switch to a SRAM 1×11.

Let me know if it might interest you – Email is in my profile

SRAM 10sp Road Hydros

zerolight
    Free Member

Isn’t it worth just selling the brakes and shifters you have and getting proper shimano hydraulics? I did that with my Spyre / 105 and replaced with RS785 and it’s night and day better.

I sold mine for £150 and paid about £275 for the pair of RS785. £125 upgrade.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I think the Shimano RS785 brakes are based on an 11sp lever, OP is on 10sp at the moment.

cinnamon_girl

Follows thread. New bike with Hayes mechanicals, have strongly advised son to get rid and replace with hydraulics. Am a Hope fan girl but the vtwins look a bit of an eyesore as well as costing mega bucks.

Running Tiagra 2×10, is Shimano the answer?

Xylene
    Free Member

Juin tech should be around 100 quid shipped direct,

cinnamon_girl

I had HY/RDs on my Tripster but don’t think they’re suitable for my son. Will check out Juin Tech.

zerolight
    Free Member

Ah. Yes. Didn’t realise it was a 10sp conundrum.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve got V-twins on the cx race bike and TRP HY/RD on the winter bike. The hopes aren’t as good. Wooden feel, not a great amount of bite.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I used to like my hope v-twin on the cross bike but changing to 11 speed and some r785 was so much nicer.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I had the hyryds and was about to ditch them and go back to mechanical discs but bit the bullet and went for full hydros instead. Either stick with well set up mechanical discs or go for full hydro set up (bargains to be had where people are upgrading to stuff like di2 which is how I came by my ultegra set up) as the rest is a bit of a bodge.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma.

I had juin tech but wasn’t completely happy vs MTB brakes.

Scored a set of lighlty used rival hydros on eBay for £200, and broke even selling my old kit.

They are leagues ahead. Go full hydro if you can.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I changed from HyRd’s to RS685’s but it wasn’t cheap as I had to change to 11 speed too and the rear wheel wasn’t compatible for starters.
    The 685’s have been excellent though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope V twin, Juin Tech R1 or TRAP Hy/Rd?’ is closed to new replies.