Hope V Twin initial thoughts…

Home Forum Bike Forum Hope V Twin initial thoughts…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope V Twin initial thoughts…
  • Houns

Been running my set since early April. Can’t fault them, needed no adjustment yet

ianfitz

mine have had just over a year of abuse. no adjustments no faults, just as they were when they went on.

do agree an=bout them being a bit heavy feeling – certainly heavier lever-feel than I had hoped for. Still ace though!

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Heavier to pull than the Avid BB5s they replaced

Yeah, this is the only thing I don’t like about them. I always make sure I’m in the drops if I’m expecting to brake heavily! However their advantages far outweigh this one disadvantage for me.

twoniner

Not a CX’er so just looked them up, clever bit of kit!

gee

After reading some positive things about this I’ve just fitted one.

Quite easy but fiddly to fit as it’s quite cramped up there. No need to bleed after shortening hoses.

Little grub screws on the cable clamps need to be tightened alternately like stem bolts to get them tight.

You need to cut the cables flush otherwise when you fit the cover it applies the brakes.

Feel? Really odd. Heavier to pull than the Avid BB5s they replaced but a lot firmer. On the drops the power is great, on the hoods it’s ok but the heaviness makes them more like a rim brake in power.

Will be fantastic in the wet and mud as there won’t be any pad rub or need to adjust for wear.

GB

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Just bought a V-Twin set for my new CX, can’t wait to get it all set up. Be so much better than the knackered cantis on my current bike.

bol

For some reason I’ve found that they seem to work better with Sram than Shimano shifters. Still quite heavy on the hoods, but more instant feeling. I’ve been using them for about a year and still really rate them. I’d like to try the sram full hydraulics though, which I imagine will feel lighter.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Modulation, don’t forget the modulation (which is very useful with a skinny slick tyre on my commuter / light trails / winter* road bike).

I think their great.

*by winter I mean snow and ice not mildly wet. Snow and ice is not an excuse for failing to put some miles on the road. Or off road for that matter.

gee

I thought I’d update this after my first few rides.

Ride 1 was mainly on the road, a few little bridleways, nothing technical. I was quite underwhelmed and felt I’d wasted my cash.

Rides 2-4 were round a similar loop in the Surrey Hills, rode a few bridleways but also some trails including Supernova, Barry’s, Secret Santa, Yoghurt Pots etc. What a revelation! The brakes are fantastic once bedded in – they worked a lot better once they’d got some gritty mud on the pads. I can now do endos and big skiiiiiiids from the hoods with one finger. On the drops, the modulation is leagues ahead of my old Avids. They work really well with one finger and I don’t get that “oh god the brakes aren’t working” feeling I got with the Avids until you really pulled on the lever.

So in summary; fiddly but not hard to install, take some bedding in and the lever feel is quite firm. Definitely better than cable discs and well worth the money.

GB

orangeboy

Had mine a since feb and pleased
    Simple to fit just take a little time to keep cables neat

Just build up a new all city macho man so roll on winter

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Just build up a new all city macho man so roll on winter

Please post some pics, thank you.

Premier Icon Nipper99
    Subscriber

Is there any reason you would choose the V Twin set UP over something like the TRP HYRD?

gee

Availability of spares for one…

GB

tonyd

I bought a commuter with these on a week or so ago. Just got new (smaller) frame to move everything over to so not tried them yet, however I’ve been wondering if they’re overkill and the Versa brifters feel heavy from the hoods. I suspect for my purposes some BB5 or BB7s would be adequate, but I didn’t pay RRP for them so hey ho. It’s good to hear such positive reports about them.

Question for you folks that are running them. What sort of bend radius do you put in the cable between bars and V-Twin unit? I ask as the handlebar tape on mine only comes half way along the top, to allow an easier bend and less friction on the cable pull. I’m wondering if I can re-tape to something more like an inch or two from the stem, giving me more hand positions. I was thinking about maybe using some noodles or something similar to help with the tighter bend.

orangeboy

smooth shimano outer and a good stainless inner

Premier Icon Andy
    Subscriber

Orangeboy that Macho man disc looks lovely. Any full pics of the bike please?

tonyd

Nice, thanks orangeboy

tk46hal

I had a set on my pro 6 and liked them or so I thought!
    Now run BB7’s and find them lighter in braking and more powerful.
    My opinion!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope V Twin initial thoughts…’ is closed to new replies.