Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hope Tech M4's – any reason not too?
  • alexonabike

I’m upgrading my brakes and have pretty much settled on Hope M4’s.

There are for my ‘big bike’ which does everything from long days in the Peak to a yearly trip to the Alps for uplift fun!

I know there is issues with shifters and the tech lever, anything else I need to know?

Those of you running them – what do you think? Currently I have Juicy 7’s.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i “upgraded” from avid juicy 5’s to Tech M4’s and really didn’t like them at all. They were pretty heavy, power was underwhelming, and the lever feel was incredibly inconsistent from new. Sometimes the lever pulled to the bar. They went back and forth to hope a few times and eventually i sold them and got some avid elixirs for 130 quid – much happier.

No idea if mine were a dodgy set or not, but the power was never that great. oh, and the lever is pretty uncomfortable on long descents.

Looked nice though.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I am completely opposite to HH above – I have them on my Heckler and with a fiddle with the reach and bite points, I found them the most comfortable set of brakes I have EVER used!

As for power & modulation – they had their best test when I visited California last year and took on the likes of Mammoth Mountain & Downieville and I found them more than enough for even the toughest test – whilst remaining completely predictable.

Would HIGHLY recommend them!

allthegear
    Free Member

I absolutely love mine. I bought them for my Helius when I took it to the Alps this year and een with my weedy hands, I never needed more than one finger breaking all week. Lovely ‘feel’, too.

Rachel

Wookster

Love mine best brake I have ever had better than elixirs jucy7s xts

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, i did keep insisting there was something wrong but Hope said they were fine! ah well.

the_lecht_rocks

3 bikes here with them – brilliant , reliable but a wee bit heavier than their competition.

i get great pad life too……..

ltheisinger
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member

i get great pad life too……..

Thats a good point – I had never really thought about it, but you’re right! (except dragging mine at Mammoth 😳 )

pypdjl
    Free Member

Mine are great! If I had a bottomless pit of money I’d put them on all my bikes. Well, maybe not the road bike, but you get the idea.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Had three sets on three different bikes and I wouldn’t have any other!
    Had Hayes and Juicy’s, but Hope everytime.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I was toying between these and Formulas The One for ages. Last week I made my decision and went for an M4 183 on the front and an X2 160 on the rear.

What can i say, out of the box the brake feels amazing. Easy to set up, shorten the hoses and centralise. So far I can’t fault them. They feel great and effortless.

The best 280ish quid I’ve spent.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

I have them on my pace RC 405 the feel and feedback you get from them is superb would highly recommend them

Liftman

Awesome brakes

shredder
    Free Member

Have x2’s on one bike and they are superb, quality power the lot.

Second bike tech m4 and tech v2 once again superb.

Would not have anything else now. Have tried Avids and never again anyone for “turkey warble”

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Probably the best all-around brake on the market, especially since the introduction of the Tech lever.

trout
    Free Member

Work very well for me too and as a fat knacker they haul me to a stop great .
    for me they have been fit and forget cept pad changes.

jordie
    Free Member

Mhhhhh i dont like that new lever at all i have the old Mono M4 and Mono Minis on two bikes so i bought the new ones.I dont like them at all,I also have had the lever touch the bar twice in two years.I am looking for some old mono levers to run with the new calipers.

backhander
    Free Member

I was toying between these and Formulas The One for ages.

I recently got the ones agter having the tech M4s.
    The ones are considerably more powerful but the hopes have a nicer feel. I think that the hopes had enough power for me but the ones are quite a bit lighter. Difficult to call a winner, the hopes might edge it if only for the amazing customer support.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Tech 4’s here. Great brakes. Good power, great modulation, easy to bleed, spares easy to source. Ok, they are not the most powerful brakes i’ve tried but they are powerful enough, even for DH. Would have them any day over Avid junk, formula (very good but fiddly to bleed and very fragile). Shimano on my other bikes but prefer the hopes by far.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got M4s on one bike, Saints on the other. They’re similar ish weight, but the Saints are way way better. Incredible brakes imho (the Saints that is, not the M4s :-).

lcj

Thumbs down here. Inconsistent feel and lack of power compared to the Saints I was running on my DH bike (with 20mm smaller rotors) saw them replaced with XTs. Much better in my experience.

alexonabike

Thats for all your input – I have just bitten the bullet and pulled the trigger.

Lets hope I fall in the camp that likes them!

If Saints were not £100ish dearer they would have got a look in.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I like mine. I’ve two sets, the oldest dates from 2004 and hasn’t required any maintenance at all apart from occasional bleeding.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech M4's – any reason not too?’ is closed to new replies.