Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope tech lever different to tech evo? Been ripped off….
  • dlocki
    Free Member

Chaps. Long story cut short I’ve bought some brakes from a kid on pink bike at the start of the month, fitted them last night and the rear brake master cylinder is cracked where the hose is screwed in, obviously he’s saying he knows nothing about it. So we’ll let paypal sort that out..

Now the good bit – you can’t buy a tech master cylinder anymore only a tech evo body. Now is this the same?

This is the first time I’ve bought any second hand parts and won’t be doing it again, lesson learnt

Dave

scaredypants

at the start of the month

I think you may struggle there – case for the defence will be: 3 weeks ago and you didn’t check them over ?

dlocki
    Free Member

Yer I’m building a new bike and didn’t have anything to mount them on, only noticed it when I put pressure on and it pissed oil out last night. To look at you can’t even tell

fd3chris
    Free Member

As far as I know if you bought them from a guy on PB the only cover you have with PayPal is whether it turns up or not, not their actual condition, if you payed the fees that is. I’m sure its only on eBay that you actually get cover for the item matching the description.

dlocki
    Free Member

Yer not true that Chris if you look into it. You have 45 days to raise it with paypal – if they don’t turn up or are not as described/damaged.

Worse case I’m going to have to repair them so before I buy a new lever I want to know if the tech evo master cylinder is the same

BrickMan

I got a set of brakes off a similar kid on PB, ad was with rotors, adapters & bolts, , what turned up was just brakes with a kinked hose.

Asked him and he wasn’t exactly going in the right direction, started a paypal case for partial refund and he just sent it right on through.

Just make sure you ask firt and explore every posibiity before resorting to PP claim.

Also FWIW, the difference between EVo & normal ‘tech’ levers (on the M4) is just the position of the lever pivot vs. the master cylinder (i.e. with the Evo lever blade + evo master assembly there is a little more power vs. the tech due to the position of the pivot.

There might also be a roller bearing in the lever > master interface, wheras the tech is just a lever pushing on a rod.

Ring hope or email them with pic’s and they’ll be able to shed some light on it though.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thats good news mate hope it works out.

dlocki
    Free Member

Yer I’ve tried talking to the lad n basically he said tough.

I spoke to hope this morning but I couldn’t confirm for def which lever it was but they said they had no tech master cylinders only tech evo ones.

So the plan is to see what paypal say – problem is this will take a month. Then dependent on the outcome the brakes go back to this kid/ buy a complete lever and keep the bits as spares/ I buy an evo tech master cylinder and see what the difference is when there in bits. Either way it’s a massive pain in the arse

BrickMan

Evo lever (and blade) will work, it’ll give you a very slightly different feel of brake but even hope have said to me there is no world changing difference in performance between them as the tech M4 is already a stonking brake.

dlocki
    Free Member

Brickman- I’m hoping if I have to bite the bullet, that I can buy a tech evo master cycling then put all the guts from the evo in it?

duir
    Free Member

Top tip for future reference, hairline cracks in Hope master cylinders are fairly common. If it happens again, just send it in to Hope and say it’s broken, they usually just fix it for you for nowt. If you are not confident as a second hand owner, get someone who owns the same brakes from new to send it in on your behalf!

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

“I’ve bought some brakes from a kid on pink bike”

That’s where it all went wrong, right there.

dlocki
    Free Member

Doesnt really help that does it pal?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope tech lever different to tech evo? Been ripped off….’ is closed to new replies.