Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope Tech Lever – anyone mounted these and like the position they ended up with?
  • markyd

Just tried to fit my new set of X2 minis with Tech Lever, what a pain !!

I’m running XTR shifters, which hope said are OK without needing a ‘matchmaker’ type thingy. but I’ll be buggered if I can get them in a position that is comfortable.

Some of the problem is my risers bars (Ritchy WCS carbon rizer) I think, there isn’t enough room to move the levers far enough inboard before the shifter hits the curve in the bar. Tried switch the lever to the outboard position, but then the piston is in the way.

Did Hope design these things for use on single speeds only???

Anyone recommend any carbon riser bars that have a good width, and quite a long straight section where the grips/levers and shifters mount?

tang
    Free Member

think theres some pics of the xt/xtr matchmaker in the ‘core bike news’ on the homepage of this site. id be interested as they were a maybe and im running xt.

mark381
    Free Member

I saw the pics on the Core show feature as well, I’m interested as I want some Tech M4’s but have X0’s. The latest copy of Singletrack had a Brake test and mentioned compatability issues. Does seem strange that they would design brakes and then realise that they do not fit with Shimano or SRAM. Just waiting to find out when they will be available and how much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P20

Hi. I’ve just fitted some Tech M4s this week. I’ve had to ditch my trusty M952 XTR shifters after 10yrs of use as they didn’t work, even with the indicator window removed. 😕
    I threw money at the problem and fitted some of the new XTR M970?? pods, mounted outside of the levers. Still need to fettle exact position, but they fit. I’ve got them mounted on an Easton Monkeylite OS bar, low rise with about an inch cut off either end. I’ll see sbout uploading some pics 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Does seem strange that they would design brakes and then realise that they do not fit with Shimano or SRAM

They didnt think when they designed the MOTO lever so it dosnt supprise me that they didnt for this new one either.

P20

Here we go:

I’ve now spaced them further over, but i’ll probably move the shifter in a little further

The XTR do have the advantage of being able to move the pod on the mount. I’ll be interested to see how the new mounts work out

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve had to fit a few of those combo’s, definitely not happy sending them out to somebody when they’ve paid that much for them.If they were mine i’d seriously consider either replacing the shifter to clamp bolt with a countersunk type(if it fits)or filing the head of the original down to allow the levers to sit at less of an angle to each other, and maybe file the lower brake cap a tad for the same reason. Can’t say for sure if it would work, i’m not able to do it on customers bikes and sure as hell wouldn’t buy my own just to try it:)

markyd

I spoke to Hope on Friday after reading the ‘core bikes’ article, and Hope’s reply was “We’ll have clamps for XT in about 4 weeks, but we’re not doing XTR ones as they fit and don’t need them”. So, don’t hold your breath for XTR mounts.

I’m not sure that mounting the shifters outboard will solve my problems, hey are going to be too close to my hands, even slide as far inboard as they are going to go (i’ve always run shifters inboard).

I’m going to call Hope on Monday and express my displeasure I think (although I’m not sure what they can suggest that will make me happy). I shelled out for the floating rotor set and an additional pair of floating rotors for my spare wheels, and now can’t get them to fit comfortably. I think I’m about to go from loyal Hope customer (lots of Hubs, brakes, stems and QRs) to actively avoiding their products.

They might look nice, but if they don’t fit that is bugger all use.

edd

I’m a big fan of Hope and I’m (vaguely) looking for new brakes but there is now way that I’m going to buy a brake that requires me to replace my perfectly good XT M760 shifters…

markyd

Right. I think I’m there now. Hope are no longer in the dog house, but certainly aren’t back in my ‘good books’.

Swapped to another set of bars that I had (with longer straight sections for the clamps, there is no way this will work with my Ritchey WCS carbon rizer bars). The brake clamp needs to be mounted about 2cm futher inboard than the original mini lever to get the lever itself in the same position for your fingers. This is a HUGE change, god only knows what posessed hope to do this without making people aware. The only way I can configure the shifters with the brakes a further 2cm inboard than the used to be, is to run the levers inboard/Shifters outboard. My config is similar to P20’s second pic above.

This WILL give problems with XTR shifters, dispite what Hope said, albiet not as big a problem as with XT760 shifters. I was lucky enough to have counter sunk stainless screws (P20’s post) and have fitted those to the XTR pods. I’d say this is a MUST, as I can now get them almost parallel with the brakes (P20, mail me if you want some counter sunk screws).

I’ll post pics tomorrow if i can

mark381
    Free Member

Has anyone here fitted a set of Tech Levers with SRAM XO yet? I am in the market for a new set of brakes and like the look of the new M4’s. Just biding my time at the moment waiting for te Hope ‘matchmakers’ to appear, but was wondering what exactly the issues are without them. Also does anyone know what the additional cost will be?

markyd

The problems are as follow (not specific to X0);

– The length of the lever from ‘finger position’ to the centre line of the clamp appears to have grown, possibly by 2cm or so (didn’t use a tape measure though). This means running the lever further inboard than normaland will probably mean that shifters have to be run outboard.
    If you try and run shifters inboard the little piston on the lever body gets in the way of your fingers.

– The lever body is fat, very fat, especially where it mets the split clamp. This means shifters need to be angled down to fit under the shifters (as you are now likely to have to run them outboard). I’d normally have my shifters ‘parallel’ to the brake lever, but with XTR 970 this wasn’t possible (or not at least until I replaced the little adjustable mounting bolt with a counter sunk one to create more room).

I have no idea about the XO shifters, but I’d anticipate encountering the above issues. The more adjustable the shifters the more options you’ll have. I’m sure XT770 will be fine when they’ve made their ‘matchmarker’ clamp, and If they have any sense they’ll be giving them away free to anyone who has bought the brakes and owns those shifters.

tang
    Free Member

thanks for going through all that mark and keeping us posted, as now i dont have to! as you say the matchmaker should be a given if you need them. ill need to see them mounted in the flesh before considering in the future.

Rivett
    Free Member

Still not happy with my set-up at the moment. Tech lever with new style XT levers with the opticator window removed. Why design a new brake lever that then needs a new mount for your shifters to go with them? To get people to buy more kit?

markyd

Talk to Hope, suggest they might want to give you them free (I think it is the least they could do). SOunds like you’ve still got a month to wait though

MrNutt
    Free Member

mount the shifters outboard and brake (properly) with one finger?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech Lever – anyone mounted these and like the position they ended up with?’ is closed to new replies.