Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hope tech 1 brakes vs modern stuff
  • DT78
    Free Member

Have things moved on much? I have some I think hope tech x1 brakes, Union Jack ones. They are lovely levers, if I get them rebuilt will they be up there with the lastest brakes?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the piston activated by a cam sliding over a black plastic bushing? Those were the original tech 2. Or is it activated by a small roller pushing on a brass end? That’s the Tech 2 evo.

Very little difference between those two, and if you’re rebuilding, you can swap to the new cam and roller arrangement which makes them feel smoother, especially if they’ve had a lot of use and warn a flat spot on the original cam.

Tech 2 to the current Tech 3 is evolution rather than revolution. Not much real world difference at all.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

mate of mine uses those levers with more recent callipers and they work fine. He only ditched his older callipers as one developed a crack and couldn’t replace like for like so got a modern calliper pair to replace. The older lever works fine with the new callipers and there is very little difference between the older and modern callipers in terms of performance as far as he can tell. He’s loathed to part wit the levers so planning to use them as long as he can.

nixie

I think the newer tech 3 levers are easier to bleed. They swapped back to a handed design rather than the flip flop of the original tech levers. IIRC the tech evo version has a better leverage ratio than the original tech (perhaps achieved by altering the pivot position.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Hope tech 1 brakes vs modern stuff’ is closed to new replies.