Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Might be a stupid question, but if you unclamp the gear cable can you cycle the mech through the cassette without issue?

ie, move the mech up and down while pedalling, even if you’re moving the mech into a position it wouldn’t normally get into when using the shifter…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Northwind – That knuckle looks like the standard shimano part to me, is it DM?

OP – I remember reading that Canflied use a 135mm maxle for a 142mm hub, which I thought was a bit odd at the time, is the hanger also set further inboard than usual?

Best suggestion is to back the B screw right off, reset to give the absolute minimum clearance at the 40T sprocket with the cage in working position and without chain. Then try that.

Northwind

Ah, maybe I’m getting confused with all the pics, I thought this was a direct mount mech?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Someone posted a DM pic but I don’t think it was the OP.

Conan257
    Free Member

Looking at what I believe is your post on another forum, I can’t see that rotating the mech will solve the problem…

It appears that, to me, your mech is too far forward in relation to the wheel axle.

mattjg
    Free Member

Breakthrough: a standard 11-36 works first time, out of the box. I didn’t even have to adjust the cables or screws. Spot bollock on, click and go. I think this establishes my assembly is OK as are the components, it’s probably a compatibility issue.

OP – I remember reading that Canflied use a 135mm maxle for a 142mm hub,

Correct.

which I thought was a bit odd at the time, is the hanger also set further inboard than usual?

Could be, though I was wondering if the variable in question was the vertical distance between the axle and the RM attachment.

I’ll drop Canfield a mail and ask them. Watch this space.

@conan yes that’s me I’m sure.

Best suggestion is to back the B screw right off, reset to give the absolute minimum clearance at the 40T sprocket with the cage in working position and without chain. Then try that.

I did that, it just moved the issue elsewhere.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Did you back B screw off all the way.

With a short hanger drop and a possible, inset hanger too, you may not need much tension at all.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Otherwise, good luck, I have to go to work now.

mattjg
    Free Member

Did you back B screw off all the way.

Yup, right to the point where the shifts on and off the 40T were failing.

mattjg
    Free Member

@alexsimon ta for pic, Skitch lives!

rotating the mech around based on reggiegasket’s

how do I do that?

singlespeedstu

From your pictures it’s not a direct mount mech then.

mattjg
    Free Member

It is according to this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162

it has RD-M786 stamped under the cable arm, so that’s it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Description’s wrong. That’s not direct mount.

AlexSimon

People seem to be suggesting rotating it as I drew isn’t possible.
    And as you said ‘how do I do that?’, I now assume they’re right.
    I thought you could just loosen it and rotate it.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK. Out of my depth on the tech here so will take your word for it.

singlespeedstu

The direct mount mech is the same as the mech you have but you remove the top link and bolt it direct to the hanger. 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    OK. Out of my depth on the tech here so will take your word for it.

SSStu’s pic on page 1 is direct mount. Not much in it, but the direct mount mechs forego the b-knuckle that standard ones have.

mattjg
    Free Member

ok, I think the terminology confusion is that the RM is Direct Mount compatible by removal of the knuckle.

But my sliders aren’t I think so my set up is ‘correct’ for the components I have.

bails

Would a longer outer gear cable push the back of the mech down and rotate the whole lot as per the pic with the arrow above?

singlespeedstu

Yep it does seem correct for a N9.

mattjg
    Free Member

no. mech position is fixed at the point where it bolts into the hanger/slider. the cable is cut to fit that not vice versa.

(singlespeed rocks! but for now I need gears).

russyh
    Free Member

Like i said earlier i had the same problem when fitting a general lee to my old Canyon

When i fitted a new chain the problem went away, basically my chain length was much too short.

mattjg
    Free Member

do you remember how many links you added?

russyh
    Free Member

No Mate, sadly not. i purchased a new chain. The General lee converter was also 42t So would be different to the T-rex

sillyoldman

Definitely the b-link angle being wrong as Reggie suggested. Loosen the main mounting bolt and it should snap into position unless the b-link is damaged.

mattjg
    Free Member

nay, it’s mounted properly, the tab of the RM nestling on the tab of the dropout

mattjg
    Free Member

Canfield say they have no experience of range extender cogs, so that’s inconclusive I guess.

My money’s on non-compatible, though I’ll try again with a longer chain when I get time.

Anyway am up and running with an 11-36 fine, no biggie.

conkers
    Free Member

A oneup RAD cage uses less b screw tension rotating the mech forward to a more normal angle. The main aim of the RAD cage was to get better chain wrap on the smaller sprockets for shimano mechs by rotating the mech as has been suggested.

I’ve just installed the cage and it brought the b screw back out about 3 to 4mm, not quite as far as it was with just the 36 sprocket but it has helped bring the mech back to a more normal angle.

There is a gigantic thread on mtbr about oneup vs woolftooth where a few people have the same problem and the consensus was filing a bit off the mech arm but they haven’t tried the new cage yet to see if it fixes the problem. I wouldn’t be keen on filing myself though.

mattjg
    Free Member

ps folks saying the second knuckle bolt should be below, not above, the first, I looked at a bunch of pics of installs on other frames, you’re right that’s how they look.

mattjg
    Free Member

@conkers yeah maybe I’ll try a RAD. I don’t mind filing the mech if essential but first want to be sure it’s not my goofage that’s the issue. did you order your RAD from the US or is there a UK stockist?

conkers
    Free Member

They have a uk warehouse I ordered Monday afternoon and it was here by Wednesday morning.
    Your mech needs to be a medium cage though. I had to wait another day to get a medium GS inner cage plate from petra cycles to convert my long cage slx.

mattjg
    Free Member

ta – the jockey wheels on my mech are 80mm apart centre to centre, do you know if that’s a medium?

conkers
    Free Member

Your in luck my rad cage is 80mm bolt to bolt the long cage is 95.

mattjg
    Free Member

ta

pps for folks suggesting RM may be mounted incorrectly – looks right to me

dirtydog
    Free Member

Can you not just slide the dropouts back a bit (couple of mm)?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Ignore that ^ , dont know what I was thinking.

mattjg
    Free Member

it took you an hour tho … 😉

pnik

Could you file down the stop on the dropout to effectively give it more rotation? Its possibly cheaper to replace and less structural than filing the mech. Its probably ba*d hard and nigh on impossible to do too.

pnik

Ive got the same setup on my 5 but my problem has been unshipping the chain, ive just taken a couple of links out hope I havent changed the problem!

benmarshall
    Free Member

Hi folks,

picking up and old thread…

mattjg, did you ever get this resolved?

I’ve got the exact same issue with a Cannondale Jekyll (2011 era) and medium cage xt. New mech, new chain, cassette in good condition.

Chain fouls on mech arm in the 24t-28t region, mech looks like it’s hanging at some ridiculous angle. Have tried wranging the b-tension in/out, doesnt help.

I’ve taken off the 40t for now and everything works fine with standard 11-36 cassette.

Did swapping in a RAD cage change anything? My next step was to either buy one and try it or to take a file to the mech arm?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)’ is closed to new replies.