Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Hope T Rex 40t cassette adaptor
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Any insider knowledge on when these will be available to buy?
    Hope facebook page said ‘in the next 2 weeks’ on the 24th Feb.

jam-bo

2015 then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

end of the week was the comment on the facebook page on the retainer rings which are on wiggle now.

honourablegeorge

Listed on CRC.

My OneUp 42t arrived. I’m sort of iffy about fitting it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

listed but not for sale yet (unless it’s just an Australian thing)

zelak999
    Free Member

Managed to get a 34t retainer ring from Wiggle, just need the 40t rear now!
    I am too impatient!

davosaurusrex

HG – why iffy?

zelak999
    Free Member

Just pre ordered a black 40t from18bikes.co.uk.
    No delivery dates as yet but Hope are saying the first batch is ready to dispatch to dealers.

takisawa2

What is the thinking behind these big rings…?
    Is it just to get a really low gear ?
    Or is there another advantage, like losing the granny ring for example…?
    (Serious question, from a luddite).

ThePinkster

It’s so 1×10 riders can get up hill as well as down without having to use a silly small chainring 😉

TBH I’d like to give one a go but not 100% convinced yet.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ordered from 18 Bikes. They say they are hoping to receive them by the end of the week.

Or is there another advantage, like losing the granny ring for example…?

Yes. It’s gives near 1×11 gearing range on a 1×10 without spending a thousand quid on proprietary SRAM kit.

TBH I’d like to give one a go but not 100% convinced yet.

I find myself happily convinced by not having a granny for my local riding. I think it’s worth a punt to try to extend that to big days out in proper hills, when a little energy conserving spinning may be helpful.

I imagine the extra lower gear won’t get a lot of use, so I think it should last ages.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

There was a pic on facebook of them awaiting anodising so they must be close….

pete68
    Free Member

You’d have thought Hope could of priced this a bit more competitively. More expensive than the proven oneup sprocket that comes from the US.

campfreddie
    Free Member

The new Oneup 40t is about £55 (a bit more assuming the conversion rate your credit card or paypal will give you). It should really be subject to import charges, but as it is shipped in bulk and then posted out in the UK, such charges are avoided.

The Hope is £60.

For less than £5 (in the real world) more, the Hope is a no-brainer in my opinion.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Can they be used on 1-9 set up? Will I need a longer chain.

zelak999
    Free Member

Yep mine is also on order with Si@18Bikes.
    Hopefully receive it early next week, bought a new KMC chain and the Hope 34t thick/thin.
    My 11-36 cassette is a bit worn, just debating weather to buy a new one or not… Any thoughts?

andyl
    Free Member

The trend to have big sprockets reminds me of these:

iffoverload
    Free Member

I think they are only for 10 speed but dont see why you could not use one on a 9 speed.

but this will fit anything with a bit of fettling 🙂

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10626846/

kimbers

from 7 march on the Hope fb page

As promised, our first batch of 40T-REx sprockets are ready for despatch to shops today. More info on our website – http://po.st/40TREx

lilbare88
    Free Member

I spoke to my lbs today and they’re expecting a delivery by the end of the week so I’ve provisionally booked the bike in to have it fitted on Friday, along with a Hope 34t Narrow Wide.

matther01
    Free Member

The Hope and Wolf Tooth do specific ones for Shimano and SRAM whereas OneUp is built to be used with either. Whether being specific or not is better I’m not sure. Got a Wolf Tooth 42 on the way and waiting to use my Xmas CRC vouchers on a Hope…hopefully this week after a reply to my facebook comment.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Andyl, I see your cassette and raise you a megarange!

andyl
    Free Member

ahh that was what I was thinking but couldnt remember the name!

goes to show everyone else is just reinventing what Shimano has already done 😀

Maybe someone should try a freewheel built into a cassette…oh wait…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes. It’s gives near 1×11 gearing range on a 1×10 without spending a thousand quid on proprietary SRAM kit.

Near but not that close 2t down at the back and 1t or 10% down at the other end. Looking at it seriously the 10t is the range expander at the other end that really sells it and let’s you run the small front ring without compromising top speed for those of us that don’t spin hard. Saying that I will be getting one.

VanHalen

Don’t you just end up with a bonkers long chain to run these big range cassettes? I thought about this but I think I’d keep my 36 front but with an even bigger cassette on my fs I’ll end up with about 1 mile of chain. Which doesnt seem like a great idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

landed on CRC today (mail from hope letting me know rather than CRC’s mail me when it arrives) not sure how much stock – I’m posting now my order is in! It’s going to take a while to get them over to Oz via normal routes. My Retainer rings arrived today and look really nice.

Northwind

Van Halen – Member

Don’t you just end up with a bonkers long chain to run these big range cassettes?

Couple of extra links- so still a fair bit shorter than a double’s chain. I thought it’d be noisier/flappier in the higher gears but I’ve not noticed it yet.

honourablegeorge

Van Halen – Member
    Don’t you just end up with a bonkers long chain to run these big range cassettes? I thought about this but I think I’d keep my 36 front but with an even bigger cassette on my fs I’ll end up with about 1 mile of chain. Which doesnt seem like a great idea.

OneUp recommend big ring to big ring plus 4. I put in an extra bit as I was kind of iffy about it, couple of rides at the weekend, I noticed something I hadn’t heard to a long time – chain slap. Been a bit spolied with clutches, that old bag of spanners racket used to be the norm. Going to take the extra link out now.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Are they 10spd specific?

I guess you could run a thin spacer to go 9spd but is that up to you to sort this?

I’m thinking they might be more useful for those wanting 1×9, as 9spd cassettes only really go up to 11-34 so not quite low enough for a 1×9 setup on, say a 32t front ring, whereas 10spd cassettes are 11-36 so lower.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve said it before but the 40/42t is still just a compromise. The range in the new stuff comes from the 10 on the other end.

I won’t be suffering with excess chain on mine as I will be dropping a few links from the 39 up front to 34/36.

honourablegeorge

mikewsmith – Member
    I’ve said it before but the 40/42t is still just a compromise. The range in the new stuff comes from the 10 on the other end.

Small compromise though – 700 Euro for XX1 versus the 60 I paid for the OneUp. Only real difference is 10-42 versus 11-42 and one gear in between – the 42 means you can use a bigger front ring if you want versus 11-36.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

I won’t be suffering with excess chain on mine as I will be dropping a few links from the 39 up front to 34/36.

The amount of chain doesn’t really make any difference though (other than in grams), it’s the amount of free chain that generates movement/slap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only real difference is 10-42 versus 11-42 and one gear in between

There is a big difference between 11 and 10, the difference between a 30 or a 33t up front. I was shocked looking at the numbers but it’s a very big extra. The half way house is much cheaper and I’m going that way but will be heading to the full 11sp when I can.

snakebite
    Free Member

Nik B being famous last Friday

kimbers

hope did initially prototype a 9-36t casette

but they then said itd be 10 and then all we got was the adaptor at the other end

im Ok running a 1×10 30t 11-36 dont really spin out on the trail
    but the climbs take their toll by the end of a day on the bike in the mountains

kayak23

Yeah man…

mattjg
    Free Member

(scrub – will update later)

mattjg
    Free Member

installers note – had to add 2 chain links and use the supplied B screw wound all the way in. Shim M786 Mech, converting from 32×11-36. works OK on the stand and up and down the street, not yet tested in anger. I’d post a pic but it’s too painful here, mail in profile if anyone needs.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Hope T Rex 40t cassette adaptor’ is closed to new replies.