• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by boblo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope RX4 & RX4+
  • escrs
    Free Member

Hope say the RX4+ caliper has superseeded the RX4 caliper

Ive looked on Hope’s website and i cant seem to find what the actual differences between the two are

I know the E4 and V4 calipers just got new hybrid style stainless steel pistons with a phenolic insert, so im wondering if the Rx4+ has these new pistons?

escrs
    Free Member

Ignore the above, ive found what i want to know in Hope’s manual & diagram section

honourablegeorge

What did you find?

escrs
    Free Member

Basically they have added a new mounting version and enlarged the size of 2 of the pistons from 11mm to 14mm on the Sram caliper

There is no mention of the new hybrid pistons so im guessing they havent fitted them which is a shame as they work great on my new Tech 4’s (pistons can be pushed back in with your fingers!)

It seems the new pistons are only made in 16mm and 18mm, there is no 14mm version to fit the RX4+ caliper

honourablegeorge

ok, good to know.

keep telling myself I don’t need them, keep looking at pictures of them

ads678

They say the RX4+ calipers are for drop bar shifters/levers, is there a reason they can’t be used with normal MTB flat bar levers?

boblo
    Free Member

I recently installed RX4+ on a boik that previously had R685 levers and R785 calipers.

They were a bugger to set up without rubbing. The pad clearance is a lot less than the Shimano ones and this led to lots of fettling and fiddling including new discs etc.

I got there in the end but they were very demanding of set up. I’ve fitted plenty of brakes in the past so hopefully not useless installer syndrome…

jkomo

I got a set when my Shimano started playing up after 2 years. They are flipping ace, ballsed up the order and got 2 fronts in black, then the rear came and it was purple (me again), but I wish I had both in purple to show off a bit.
    Don’t forget they come with 2 sets of pads, and the bleed shiz for the calliper end, so I thought pretty good value if you buy a pair, as opposed to 3 of them.

dickie
    Free Member

I fitted a pair with Ultegra levers to a Spesh Diverge gravel bike built 14 months ago, & as above think they are excellent.
    And as above not bad value when they come with two sets of pads & syringe & spacers for bleeding.
    Set up wasn’t too bad – I followed the Hope video on youtube.
    I read that he brakes rub for the first few rides & then it disappears – and they did exactly that. Quiet after the third or fourth ride.

jkomo

I actually did a better job of bleeding the rear. Held the bike vertically with a bike stand, and rotated the bars in the stem so the bleed hole faced upward, and was able to get a really good bleed.
    Rushed the front I think so I need to redo at some point, got a bit to much lever throw.
    Very powerful but with modulation unlike the originals which tbf were good when they worked.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I also had issues with replacing a set of Shimano R685 calipers and R785 levers with these.
    I believe Hope did mention it on their site about certain models of Shimano brakes not being compatible.
    Recently built a bike with GRX Di2 levers and they were improved (slight issue with leaky caliper but now sorted!).
    Think current Shimano levers work better with them.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the R785 levers were listed as not compatible with the original R4’s.

boblo
    Free Member

I fitted new current Ultegra levers along with my RX4+’s and they were a bollix to set up without rubbing. I didn’t know about the’ 4 rides and they’ll be reet’ rule – sadly…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.