Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hope road wheels
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

I’m just about to push the button on some Hope/Alpha wheels and was just wondering is there any weight limit?

eshershore
    Free Member

Not sure about weight limits but on my hope/open pro set Hope were kind enough to replace the aluminium alloy free hub body twice FOC due to severe cassette gouging (using ultegra 6700 cassette setup with anti-seize and fitted with torque wrench).

The front wheel developed clicking from crossed spokes rubbing, its been repeatedly tensioned, trued and oiled but clicking soon comes back…rear hub has had number of bearings replaced in 2 years of ownership despite regular maintenance.

Third time of gouging its been replaced with steel body, also FOC, but it added so much weight the wheels have been relegated to my commuter and I bought a set of 2014 fulcrum racing 5 for £170 for my road bike which weigh in lighter than original set of hopes, yet have steel body as standard.

I’ve used hope hubs for years on MTBs, but cannot deny the issues I have experienced have put me off their road wheels, despite their supportive customer service dept.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve used hope hubs for years on MTBs, but cannot deny the issues I have experienced have put me off their road wheels, despite their supportive customer service dept.

I’m in the same position here…

Are you looking at the 32h wheels, or the 20/24h version? The 32h’s are pretty safe, the 20/24 well… I gave them a much longer stay of execution than anyone else I know would have done, but they just kept coming loose! And I don’t mean every few hundred miles, I mean every few miles! I couldn’t do more than 10 miles without having to true the wheels up… 😕 They got replaced with Campag Eurus 2 Way Fit (Fulcrum Racing 1’s) which have been faultless!

EDIT: Oh and FWIW, I don’t even weigh 12st…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Alphas are not worth buying, Archetypes are a far better rim and much cheaper too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Hope road wheels’ is closed to new replies.