Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope rear hub possible alternative?
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hey,

had my Pitch for a few years now and have some wobble in my rear hub. I think it’s on its way out so looking to replace before it fails down a nice big hill.

Looking at a nice hope one, but wondering if there is anything nearly as good for less cash… I’ve read the reviews about the one from superstar and that sounds a bit rubbish so will probably give it a miss.

What are peoples experiences with different hubs. I ride in the south downs a lot with some rough terrain so something that can take a bit of stick there and at trail centres.

ta

qwerty
    Free Member

Goldtec from BETD.

xiphon
    Free Member

New or second hand?

We have 2 x Hope Bulbs (32H and 36H) at the back of two bikes. Picked them up cheap as chips, and run perfectly.

giddyrob
    Free Member

looks about the same price as hope?

johnellison
    Free Member

The only thing that lets Superstar down is the atrocious bearings that they use (and that goes for the BBs and headsets too). You could probably get a Superstar plus a full set of replacement SKF bearings for less than a Hope.

composite
    Free Member

Got 2 sets of superstar wheels with switch hubs that have been fine.

There were problems with the superlegga hubs in the past if memory serves me right.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for Bulbs if you go own the second hand route. All of mine have been fab. I’m still using a pair of original five bolt jobbies from god knows when.

Other than Hope I’m not so sure. The Superstar jobbies seem to be hit and most other stuff seems quite expensive.

kevster
    Free Member

Can you not replace/service the ons in your existing hub?

edd

have some wobble in my rear hub

Replace the bearings, problem sorted.

giddyrob
    Free Member

can that be done without ripping out all the spokes and having to have the wheel rebuilt? Just thought I might treat myself to a better hub if I need to pay for a wheel build.

giddyrob
    Free Member

ok, looks like i can… guessing it’s not too hard job with the right tools.

Question is….. what are the best bearings i can get for a Shimano fh-m525?

Cheers

giddyrob
    Free Member

THough, any idea of costs to get the job done by pros?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get some grade 10 ball bearings off eBay.

MarkN
    Free Member

have some wobble in my rear hub

Replace the bearings, problem sorted.

+++ It is going to be worn bearings, loose balls or cartridge type. Both are relatively easy to sort. Much more cost effective than a new wheel. Never had a shop do it for me so not sure of their cost. As I rcall I have spent about £15 on getting cartridge bearings and then just knocking the old ones out and swapping. All done in 30 mins.

It could even be that the cones are loose if you have a cup and cone hub.

giddyrob
    Free Member

cool… so it doesn’t sound like a new hub needed then… thats great.

What tools do i need for the job? Pretty handy with the bike, but not touched the wheels before.

Ta

watsontony
    Free Member

sounds to me you cones are loose

look for a vid on youtube to tell you how its done. should sort it

MarkN
    Free Member

Have a look at the Park Tool web site. They have a very good bike maint guide avail on line.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/categories/hub-service

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

giddyrob
    Free Member

cheers guys…. saved me a bit of brass…. though hope hub next time that wheel needs rebuilding 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

Shimano, or is pretty colours a requirement?

giddyrob
    Free Member

support of a british company… 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

support of a british company…

+1

was nearly tempted to go the superstar or strada route with novatec hubs, but came to my senses and paid a bit more for some Hopes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope rear hub possible alternative?’ is closed to new replies.