Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hope Pro2 Hub failure
  • rhid

My Rear Pro2 hub broke today, the Non drive side flangey bit that the spokes fit into broke in two places. There were no signs of any trail damage so I have to assume its a fault with the hub metal!

I know a few people have had this issue, did anyones have any luck getting it replaced? What was the outcome with footing the wheel rebuild cost?

The hub itself was off my Heckler and was branded up as a Santa Cruz / Hope Pro 2 hub! So Who should deal with the issue? Hpe as the hub maker or Santa Cruz as the wheel builder / supplier?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The person that sold it to you is first port of call. Not either manufacturer. Your contract is with the retailer. How old is it?

Having said that I have never heard of hope refusing a replacement

rhid

I was going to talk to the shop i got it from first. The hub is 14 months old but it was trouble free til today!

gazza100

The flange on my front hub broke when braking. Phoned Hope, explained what happened and they replaced the body free of charge. Hub was nearly 2 years old.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hur, hur, he said “flange”…

jonatkinson33
    Free Member

Hi Rhid, the exact same has happened to me. Just noticed it this weekend when giving my bike a good clean. Santa Cruz Heckler with WTB Lazer Disc Trail and Hope Pro 2 Hubs. Even spookier my bike is also around 14 months old! Part of the rear hub has actually sheered off where 2 of the spokes should be attached and there is another part starting to break away.
    When I checked the front wheel there is another part where 2 of the spokes should be attached the same is also happening.

I called Jungle the importer (01423 780 088) this morning and they said to speak to the bike shop I bought it from (NWMTB) and then call them back if I have any issues.

NWMTB aren’t open today so will see tomorrow.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d phone Hope
    IME they are very helpful

rhid

That is spooky, the same bike-exactly the same problem! I did look at my front too but couldn’t see any problems there.

A friend who works in a bike shop said he has just seen one Pro 2 hub do exactly the same and it was just over a year old! What are the chances!

I spoke to the shop the bike came from and they are going to sort it, it doesn’t seem to be an issue with replacing the hub itself. It is still going to cost around 75-85 for a new wheel to be built round the hub though.
    I will let you know how I get on.

Rhid

Pauly

I’ve seen it happen to 2 hubs on almost brand new Marins. Just as well Hope have an excellent customer service dept! Hasn’t put me off buying another set of Pro2’s though.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with Hope Bulbs, but I’ll never go back to Pro II, the hubs cracked from the spokes across the hub body. Until they offer something similar to the bulbs I’m back on CK and Burgtec. Mine cracked after only 5 months use and got it replaced under warranty.

turnip
    Free Member

Exccelent customer service is needed if their hubs keep cracking at the flange. Isnt the first i have heard of, and it sounds like there is a run of poor quality forgings?

Do hope pay for the wheel rebuilds?

NewRetroTom

How were all these hubs laced?
    3x or something more exotic?

nickegg
    Free Member

Just send it to Hope. The XC hub on my 2007(although hub would have been alot older than that)Marin broke across the flange also. I didn’t bother going through my LBS.

I just rang up Hope, explained what happened, they said send it in which i did and it was replaced like for like even though they no longer make that hub. It seems they keep a certain amount of obselete stock for warranty replacements etc.

My LBS then rebuilt my wheel for free too!!

rhid

The wheel build issue is something that needs to be addressed. I don’t see it as fair or right that I should have to pay for the new wheel. I bought it from Santa Cruz pre built onto a hope hub. The hub failed through no fault of my own now I am stuck paying £70-£80 for something which shouldn’t have happened! I’m sure you will agree that the costs shouldn’t be passed on to the poor devil who bought the wheel in good faith thinking it was going to last for a fair few years.

I have no problem with either Hope or Santa Cruz at the moment. They do, however, need to stand by their products and come up with a replacement for me (and anyone else with this problem!). I’m sure Hope will replace the hub, but the issue shouldn’t have arisen anyways and since it did they should incur the cost of the total works involved.

I am going to take it up with the bike shop and see if they can get something done about it. Wish me luck!

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah it’s tricky as i quess the shop involved in these cases has to try and get a credit note to compensate for the time used to rebuild the wheel.

Good luck.

rhid

Or as an act of good faith and reassurance that the product that they have sold me isn’t a pice of junk destined to continually fail the hub manufacturer covers the cost or provides me with a new wheel!
    Either way I would be happy!

uplink
    Free Member

The bottom line is that the LBS is responsible for replacing your wheel – if they choose to strip it down & replace the hub, that’s their decision

It’s a tad harsh on the LBS if Hope [or whoever] don’t recompense them but that’s not an issue the end customer has any responsibility for.

rhid

So ultimately its down to the LBS to decide the fate of my bank balance by either charging me for a new wheel build (minus the Hub) or not?

uplink
    Free Member

So ultimately its down to the LBS to decide the fate of my bank balance by either charging me for a new wheel build (minus the Hub) or not?

It’s not up to them to decide – it’s their legal obligation

rhid

I see! Well I have emailed them stating my unhappiness with the situation and I will see what they have to say about the subject.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would say that at over a year old the legal obligations are not clear.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

75-80 quid sounds quite a lot for a wheel build, even with new spokes.
    you could always rebuild if yourself, theres an excellent guide on sheldon browns website.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

You can save quite a lot of money by just lacing it up, then getting the shop to finish if off and make sure its true. Even if they charge you it should only be 10 quid ish.

rhid

That 70-80 is a rough figure inlcuding a new rim. I could reuse the old one but if I have to pay for it myself I may as well get something a bit lighter and stronger!

Even reusing the old one its going to be around £50 for a rebuild.

jonatkinson33
    Free Member

Hi Rhid, hope things are now sorted. As I said I contacted Jungle who suggested I contact the bike shop I bought the bike from (NWMTB Centre).

Well the customer service I have recieved has been amazing! I called them first thing on Tuesday, and then took my bike in later on Tuesday morning. They called Jungle who shipped replacement wheels out same day and the bike was fully mended yesterday. Brand new wheels/hubs. They even cleaned it and tigthened everything up. I’m off to Spain with it next Monday so literally in the nick of time!

Hopefully your bike shop will show similar service. The guy I spoke to at Jungle did say that if I had any issues that I should call him back so if you do have issues with your bike shop that is definilty worth trying – 01423 780 088

Much respect to NWMTB and Jungle!

zaskar
    Free Member

Dept fair trading if they fob you off as it was not built for the use.

Dibbs
    Free Member

it sounds like there is a run of poor quality forgings?

I think you’ll find Hope stuff is machined from billet, not forged, which is probably part of the problem.

roger-m
    Free Member

I think you’ll find Hope stuff is machined from billet, not forged, which is probably part of the problem.

Hope hubs are now machined from forgings. Over the years I’ve built LOTS of Hope hubs and never encountered a failure. I have my theories why mine always turned out good. The current forged hubs and high-tec machining facilities I’ve recently seen will ensure Hope hubs will be very reliable (for all builders).

Roger
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk

simon@18bikes
    Free Member

A few shots of what goes on over here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18bikes/

Anthony
    Free Member

Great link cheers Simon.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few hope hubs do this

mk1fan
    Free Member

rhid, you won’t get any form of customer service if you go to the shop with the attitude you’re projecting (and being encouraged in) in this thread. Wind your neck in until you’ve spoken to the Shop.

Your wheel broke, so what, these things happen. The bike is 14-months old so I’d say it’s the Importers warranty not the Supplying shop that’s ‘liable’ – subject to Santa Cruz warranty conditions.

As for fit for purpose – unless you’re doing drops off house roofs or 20ft road gaps then the Heckler is FFP.

As for Pro II’s being problematic that’s nonsense. The number that are in use is, relatively speaking, immense. So a few failures are inevitable, only a moron would think otherwise. I’ve seen loads of hubs break, guess what from loads of different manufacturers.

As for wheel build costs if you’re willing to pay £50 just for a wheel build then send it my way I’ll happily do it for that price. If you decide to change the rim then the entire cost of the re-build is yours and Santa Cruz should just supply the replacement hub.

What I suspect will be offered is an entire new wheel in exchange for the entire broken one. Which is both fair and reasonable.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 Hub failure’ is closed to new replies.