Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope Pro2 freehub ratchet teeth stripped. Any options please?
  • Swirly
    Free Member

Dear All,

I opened up my Hope Pro 2 as it wasn’t freewheeling as well as it should.

The ratchet teeth in the freehub are somewhat knackered.

I was under the impression that Hope hubs are almost infinitely repairable. I phoned Hope today asking if they can replace the ratchet ring and they said they can’t. Fair enough a few years ago they said they couldn’t replace ratchet on Bulb hub as it was too old but thought more modern stuff could be fixed?

I asked if they could sell me a replacement ratchet ring (I’m quite handy and could knock up a removal tool of sort) and I could fit myself but ‘no’ to that too. 🙁

Is my only option a new hub?

Your collective experience sought please!

Cheers + ride safe

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Send it back under a different name & they’ll probably send you a new one.

Swirly
    Free Member

Not a bad idea. Thanks Mr Futtock

swillybey
    Free Member

I’ve stripped the ratchet ring out of a few shells in the past during my trials days.
    Basically the steel ratchet ring is threaded into the alu hub shell in a manner that when you pedal, it tightens up the thread.

I would imagine the reason it can’t be repaired or replaced is that it won’t be able to be removed due to this threaded construction.

I have had 3 knackered hubs replaced by Hope – 2 x ratchet ring threads stripped and 1x hub shell crack due to the force I was putting through it trying to overtighten the thread, cracking the shell in half.

If you send them the hub, de-laced, it is likely they will rebuild your internals onto a new hubshell / ratchet assembly (If they have some spare Pro2s kicking about…).

it is a bugger though, as you’ll have to relace your wheel.

Speshpaul

They won’t do any work on a Pro2. Or supply parts. They are not too keen on Pro2 Evo either.
    I had a split hub body recently and they were fairly blunt.
    Kind of knocks one of their USPs

damascus
    Free Member

Kind of knocks one of their USPs

How old is it? Warranty is one thing, fixing a hub thats over 5 years old is another.

How long do you expect this usp to last?

Each hub has a code that let’s them know when it was manufactured. (I think)

They fixed a friend’s pro 2 a couple of years ago and Said that the code showed it was 10 years old. We were amazed they replaced it foc

matt_outandabout

I’ve a pro 2 in silver in working condition – £10 posted?

Onzadog
    Free Member

They made the same repair on a bulb hub that at the time, was over ten years old. I tend to find that if they’ve still got it, they help, if not, they can’t.

I think I lot of legacy spares didn’t survive the last factory move though.

They still seem to support kit longer than anyone else though.

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks all for your advice and thoughts.

My hub is an unknown age but definitely not within warranty.

I’ve done some basic trialsy stuff with it but nothing too ‘Danny Mac’ style. *wink*

Not keen on the idea of sending it to them just in case… but it’s an idea.

PMing you Matt.

Thanks very much.

montgomery
    Free Member

My Pro 2s are almost 12 years old now, silly mileage but still going strong. I actually did the ritual six month (well, um, more like eight month) look inside and clean-up on Saturday. I need to replace the (original) freehub seal, bit grubby inside, but everything else seemed ok…there comes a point when you probably have to think, well, I got my money’s worth out of this kit, time to retire it and give the company who made it more business.

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks Montgomery. Agreed, all for giving business to British manufacturers.

I’m happy to give them money to refurbish the hub or a third party for that matter.

I just love that Hope ratchet click :o)

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I saved my pro hub years ago by putting another spring inside the existing pawl spring so effectively doubling the pawl pressure. I had to search about for suitable springs but a biro spring seems to ring a bell. This was enough to keep the hub running. It still works now!

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks Reluctant, that’s a great idea. Lateral thinking!

senorj

All my wheels are pro2/pro2evo.
    That’s a top tip for the future (touch wood) reluctantwrinkly ,thanks.

montgomery
    Free Member

Could be wrong, but I think that might be referring to older designs (like my XC model hub) that had conventional, Zebedee-type springs in. The Pro II equivalent would be, I guess, using a ziptie instead of the standard spring.

nixie

I understood it as putting a smaller coil spring inside the larger standard coil spring.

lovewookie

your kinda wanting something like this: https://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Parts-RATCHET%20RING.asp
    but for a hope hub.
    I was always under the impression that such a tool existed, but can’t find anything for hopes. :-/

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Oops yes you are right-mine may be XC hubs with indeed standard coil springs. The theory of providing more spring pressure may still apply though.

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks Lovewookie, yes that’s exactly the sort of thing but needed for Hope.

I thought I might have had an amazing solution…

I glued in a BB tool into the ratchet with JB Weld (with a plastic disk underneath to avoid gluing to bearings. Then held tool in vice and rotated wheel anti-clockwise…

It held for a while then the JB Weld gave way. Now I’ve a ratchet ring full of JB Weld :o(

I found this while trawling online:

So such a tool must exist (but probably only in Hope factory!)

Trying to think of another bodge solution unless can find a correct tool.

Thanks all for help so far!

Poopscoop

Will Hope supply a spare if you can get it out then mate?

Swirly
    Free Member

I asked Hope but the answer was no….but could get hold of an old hub and do some butchering like this:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=297849

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 freehub ratchet teeth stripped. Any options please?’ is closed to new replies.