Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope Pro II FREEHUB bearing change?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I have removed the main hub bearings before when I serviced them and coverted to 9 & 10mm but never serviced the bearings in freehub. The instructions on on hopetech website only indicates the hub body service – am I missing something. Whats the best way of getting the frehub bearings out and in – I have got the Pro II service tools BTW 😉 Cheers

FXR 🙂

Edit: says gently knock them out – I guess it uses the freehub protector and a drifter and knock the whole lot through? – but what about getting them aligned when replacing them?

alanf
    Free Member

Be careful as there may be a circlip in the freehub, there is on one the bulb so the pro ii may be similar – I knocked the one on the lock ring end of the body out first from the opposite side and that gives you access to the circlip so you can then get that out and remove the other bearing by tapping it out the same way.

dalepoint
    Free Member

there is circlip holding the second one in. use a drift move the spacer to one side and tap out remove circlip tap out second pretty straight forward a vid on you tube shows it being done which is better than the hope website.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh yeh – cheers Andy and Alan – of course there is I forgot. that will align them all of course – cheers for the the you tube heads up 🙂

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Don't use a drifter, you'll get chocolate, wafer, and yummy caramel everywhere! "Gimme some skin lil' blood!"

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bonkers 😉

fbk
    Free Member

there is circlip holding the second one in

Really? Oops! Maybe that's why my back wheel's made funny noises since I replaced the freehub bearings last!!! In my defence, the bearings had completely failed and I was taking shards of metal out so who knows what was in there originally!! 😯

foxyrider
    Free Member

Maybe get a Rebuilt kit Neil 😉 BTW you can borrow my new set of drifters if you like 😉

BTW youtube link is here care of Dalepoint 🙂

Youtube

robarnold
    Free Member

There's no circlip in a Pro II freehub, just two identical bearings at the pawl end, then a spacer, then a larger bearing at the end cap end. You have to more or less butcher the two inner bearings to get them out. Do this by getting a punch or similar object and tapping the inner bearings out. You will need to push and prod the spacer to one side to get at the inner races to push them out. Once they are both moving, they wioll come out pretty easily. You can then get a drift for the larger, outer bearing. Putting it all back together just involves pressing them all in using sockets/drifts. DON'T FORGET THE SPACER! Also, once all is in, take any preload off the seals by tapping each bearing a couple of times until it all settles and everything spins freely.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No aparently there is no circlip in the Pro II – the bulb and XC had one?

SBrock
    Free Member

have a look here!!! Easy once you have done it a few times!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=283367

RicB

You have to more or less butcher the two inner bearings to get them out

Completely disagree with you on that. Just buy a threaded rod (~8mm), nut, some washers and a suitably sized socket and the bearings in the freehub are p1ss easy to remove. I use a ISIS BB non-driveside ring instead of a socket – perfect size.

I bet you can even use the main hub axle as a drift as it'll be perfectly sized to remove the bearings without trashing them.

The easiest way to reassemble is to put the two inner freehub bearings back in using a vice or G-clamp (gently!), then lightly tap the outer bearing into place and either use the threaded rod/washers or just put the whole hub back together onto the wheel and use the qr to slowly press everything back together.

Remember to put a light smear of grease around the bearings when you put them back in, otherwise they'll seize in place after a few months of wet riding.

If the bearings are well and truly seized then putting an old cassette on often makes it easier as there's more to grip/brace the hub with.

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm think I may need to do this – seems to be some play in the freehub.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I know about the hub bvearings – its getting the FREEHUB bearings in and out. Good tip RicB 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have a spare rear QR axel I can use as a drift as well 🙂

Edit: found a good link for the freehub service but obviously without the circlip as its an XC:

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/fettling/hope_hub.htm

I think with the Pro II you can just drift the whole lot out as said above remove the outer from inside using a something that will fit through the bearings then remove spacer then drift the two inner ones out 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Haha – though not 🙂 . That vid's on the Hopetech website too – I used it last time I replaced the bearings.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup – sorted in me head now – cheers everyone 😉 BTW neil you can use my drifters if you like 🙂 although I know they are not needed – just makes the job nicer 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Ta for that. I really should get the bearings replaced this weekend though – it's starting to get annoying 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

pitty you dont live closer (or vice versa) 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II FREEHUB bearing change?’ is closed to new replies.