Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope pro 4 vs Rs4?
  • Picto
    Free Member

Contemplating new wheels for the cross bike. Like the idea of hope 20Five wheels.

Apart from 2 pawls vs 4 pawls, reduced drag in Rs4 when coasting any reason not to go for the Rs4?

simondbarnes

I’d go for the RS4 every time. Pro4 far too noisy.

philjunior
    Free Member

I might be missing something here but do they do the pro4 in 130mm/no disc or RS4 in 135mm/disc? Don’t you just need whichever fits?

Picto
    Free Member

After the disc version. I think disc fitting Rs4’s are 135mm.

simondbarnes

I think disc fitting Rs4’s are 135mm

They are 135 qr or 142×12

d3carbon
    Free Member

I’d go for the RS4 every time. Pro4 far too noisy.

I’d go for the Pro4 every time. Pro4 nice and noisy.

damascus
    Free Member

I was looking at them this morning. The rim is stated as 425g which is a good weight but the full build seemed rather heavy.

The rear hubs claimed weight is 272g, a dt Swiss 240 claimed weight is 255g so 17g in it.

So the weight must be in the spokes.

According to the hope website A 24 spoke rear hub j bend spokes, weighs 908g, a 32 weighs 950g.

So 8 extra spokes and nipples weighs 42g so spokes are 5.25g

Does anyone have any confirmed weights of the wheels?

Picto
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments.
    I know both can fit my bike. Just really thinking any reason not to go RS4 as they can be had for slightly less.

They do seem a little weighty compare to other options.

Could not find any reviews on the web re the rs4, other than on retailer sites. I am most interested in durability, which is one of the main features of hope hubs.

damascus
    Free Member

Hope are known for their durability and serviceability. That with their customer service means you can buy in confidence.

No reason why the RS4 will be any different. For road they make a lot of sense if you are free wheeling a lot.

Just a shame they are so weighty. But I guess that means bombproof

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of Hope hubs ..but would mention that within 6months of riding my 2017 Whyte t130rs ..I had ” done ” a pro 4 hub ..with only one of the pawl springs still working .
    I still haven’t been in touch with Hope as a warranty issue ( laziness on my part ) as I purchased a new hub the same day due to going on a trip the following day..
    Still got a pro 2 hub on a Nomad though which has given 10 years trouble free service ..

Picto
    Free Member

Got a hope trials hub in my single speed which, with a little tlc in the freehub and the odd bearing change, runs like new after a good few years use. Cannot fault it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 4 vs Rs4?’ is closed to new replies.