Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope pro 4 front from 100×15 to 110×15 – redish with same spokes?
  • twonks

Been done to death in various threads but can’t find a definitive answer on what is likely to be the best approach.

Having ordered a set of Fox boost forks from the Germans, I find myself with a Pro4 (15×100) hubbed front wheel and the need to make it boost compatible.

I’ve seen both the Hope convertion kit that consists of a non brake side extension and also the ebay kit that adds 5mm to each side and a brake spacer.

Has anybody used either and what are your thoughts please?

Main areas of concern are that the Hope adaptor requires a re dish of the wheel – is this possible with the same spokes generally, and if I go down the ebay adaptor, how fiddly is it taking the wheel in and out and do spacers fall off etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Worked for me on the rear. Spoke calculator suggested only 0.3mm longer. Guess fronts would only be 0.5mm.

Try a spoke calculator

scotroutes

There is no definitive answer because it will depend what “tolerance” exists with your current spokes. In all likelihood it’ll be fine.

benpinnick

Personally I would go the redish route. Its almost certain that your spokes are just fine given how small the difference is, and once done its no different than before, no messing about.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, misread the op. What I did was buy a new hub and then rebuild with same rim and spokes. I like tinkering and it just felt like a better engineering solution, if a bit more costly.

twonks

Cheers. Am thinking the same (edit. as Ben), as the image of fighting with spacers in the cold and wet is not a good one.

I’ll get the adaptor and a new spoke key ordered and post up the results 😀

More edit- The wheels are only 6 month old so don’t really want to buy a new hub just yet.

bigbloke
    Free Member
    vincienup
    Free Member

Last time I calculated a DT350 15×110 while the spoke lengths were different to the 15×100 as expected, by the time you took rounding and available lengths into account, the same spokes would be called for in practice. I’d also encourage you to do this exercise partly for your own peace of mind but also because as above, you might get a surprise.

I’ve used the single sided Hope front Boost adapter and if you aren’t overly OCD it works fine with a minor redish (probably only about one turn per spoke but use a dish stick).  It sticks in as well as a normal Hope adapter but obviously as you’re redishing, if you put a 15×100 back in to shift it to another bike you’re going to be off centre unless you redish again so it’s a less on-the-fly solution than many are  used to.  Rear wheels present more of a problem as you absolutely need to move the disc too but this isn’t insurmountable.

Generally, I’d consider adapters if there was a very good reason I didn’t want to strip the wheel (in my case, a nice JRA custom build) but otherwise especially if putting a new bike together I’d seriously consider buying proper Boost hubs and shifting the old hubs while non Boost is still attractive to people…

bigyan
    Free Member

It will probably be fine, I have done a few with no issues. If the original spokes are at the extreme of long/short you may have an issue.

ajantom

I did this two days ago.

Hope front wheel, new boost fork. I bought the non-drive side adaptor and redished the wheel. Fir mine I took 1 full turn of loosening in the driveside and then 1 1/2 turns tightened on the non-driveside. Pulled it central, and no need to true.

First ride on it today and no problems at all.

IMO it actually makes a slightly stronger wheel as the uneven dish of a disc wheel is actually more even now!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I used the same hope adapter on my front hub, and just redished it with the same spokes. Six months later, I’m not dead.

ajantom

Hope front wheel, new boost fork. I bought the non-drive side adaptor and redished the wheel. For mine I took 1 full turn of loosening on the driveside and then 1 1/2 turns tightened on the non-driveside. Pulled it central, and no need to true.

Just realised I wrote non-driveside/driveside, I meant to say disc side. I have been drinking wine 😳

Poopscoop

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>bigbloke
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

https://www.mrpbike.com/better-boost-adapter-kits/

</div>

A nice solution if you want to us the wheel in a non boost fork too. 👍

Expensive though! I bet the eBay ones are a direct copy and work just as well?

Poopscoop

EDIT:

I take that back, the MRP ones are much better designed but possibly no better irl?

Could you not use the HOPE adapters then just use a cheap rotor spacer? Best of all worlds then?

Cheaper.

No re-dish.

Proper Hope adapters used.

??

nixie

The hope adaptor is just a longer right hand end cap i think. Uses the 100mm one in the left keeping the disc in the right place. Hence redish required.

I’dgo for the MRP kit. In fact I am for my 350 hub as the rear is non-boost and it hunk having a set based on either boost or not boost is better than a 50/50 approach.

ajantom

The MRP kit might be slightly better engineering (though you’d assume Hope would etry to engineer the best solution for their hubs), but £50….seriously?

The Hope adaptor is £10. You could buy a new hub for the price if the MRP kit!

nixie

Yeah the MRP kit is a bit expensive, though not so much more if your not able or confident enough to do the redish yourself. The real advantage for me is that I can swap 650b+ and 29er wheels between two bikes and even use the plus wheels as spares for my normal 650b bike.

kristoff
    Free Member

I went with the Hope adapter and relished my front wheel.. pro 2 evo on to new Fox 36 boost. Worked perfectly no issues with spoke lengths… I’ll just change the hub when I get around to a wheel upgrade.

twonks

Cheers again for the great replies.

I was close to changing my mind and going with the MRP kit, but as said £50 is a fair chunk when £14 will do it ‘properly’

Added to the fact that I am building this bike to be completely black with minimal colour (sad I know, but something I’ve wanted to do for a while), means I have just ordered the Hope adaptor and a spoke key.

Wheel building is the only part of building a bike that I don’t do, so might as will start old and try to learn something new 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 4 front from 100×15 to 110×15 – redish with same spokes?’ is closed to new replies.