Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HOPE PRO 2 HUB GONE QUIET….HELP
  • rocklobster
    Free Member

My rear Hope Pro 2 Hub has gone quiet and I’m not sure why. I took it apart and serviced it all at the weekend but it’s still not sounding like the chainsaw it used to be. I have had it about 5 years now and in that time I’ve been to uni so it’s had quite minimal use. Anyone got any ideas why? Is it worth replacing the springs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take it apart again and check? did you put the springs back in the right way round?

Did you put loads of thick grease in it? that can stop the click of the pawls engaging until it works its way out

rocklobster
    Free Member

It still makes a noise now and I’m sure I put the springs back in the correct position. Also before i serviced it it when quiet, any ideas…

bentudder

Did you grease the pawls or the engagement ring? If the grease is really sticky (ie, really good stuff) then it can impair the movement of the pawls because it’s too sticky.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Springs can fatigue and loose tension, which makes the hub go quiet just before they crack and break.

This is not always apparent on inspection.

Worth replacing the springs if it’s not due to overpacking with thick grease.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve tried various routines:
    1. a modest amount of regular silicone grease around the springs/pawls and ratchet. As recomended.
    2. smother the springs and pawls only in silicone grease. Leaving the ratchet just lightly oiled.
    3. only a small amount of really heavy waterproof grease (waterpump grease)smeared on the surface of the springs & pawls. ie not packed or in any way restricting movement.

So far, 3. is looking (sounding) the most promising.

rocklobster
    Free Member

thanks guys, i think i may have overdone it with the grease gun, ill get my hands dirty tonight and sort it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HOPE PRO 2 HUB GONE QUIET….HELP’ is closed to new replies.