Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 front hub servicing, is it easy?
  • Monkey
    Free Member

I have a pair of hoops and the front feels/sounds a little rough, how easy is it to service, are any special tools/parts needed? THanks

oxym0r0n

Dead easy I reacon, having done a rear one recently. Some people will tell you to use a set of sockets and bosh out/in the bearings, Hope will tell you they have rounded ends and so may damage the bearings… I bought a set of tools from my LBS that do both front and rear hubs (£20), plus a soft nosed hammer

br
    Free Member

+1 rec on the Hope kit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

very easy. I use bits of sockets. Heat the hub for extra easyness – a rag tied round it and boiling water poured on it. Freeze the new bearings.

zbonty

Just about to do a front hub myself.
    Hot water/freeze the bearing sounds good but why the rag bit?
    Ta

zbonty

Ta

zbonty

Err, one post for each bearing?

Blinking phones!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nice & easy to do with a set of sockets. Requires a little extra caution not to knacker the bearings, just use common sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zbonty – Member

Ta

It holds the hot water on the hub / reduces the amount that splashes everywhere. its just how I do it. Not crucial

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The rag is there to ensure that enough heat transfer happens. Otherwise the water runs straight off and doesn't hang around long enough to impart its heat to the hub body.

EDIT: that'll teach me to refresh the page. 😳

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Dead easy. As said above get the kit. What is not explained on the Hope video (as it's for the rear hub) is that you need to remove the circlips which hold the bearings in place first, then use some kind of steel rod to knock out the old bearings from the other side

SBrock
    Free Member

use the proper bearing drift kit from Hope!!!

wasted 2 sets of bearings now on the front using the 24mm socket option…….. current bearings lasting now since last winter……

plus its easier and you swear less!

zbonty

Aah, thanks for the rag tip, had'nt thought about that. Got my bearings on ice ready for tomorrow as i went for a ride today vs fettling. Going to wang it in with a socket for now..

Though my BB bearings seem to be squeaking like a mouse today so maybe get some Enduro ones as normal HT2 ones last about 3 seconds IME.

SBrock
    Free Member

Going to wang it in with a socket for now..

only got yourself to blame if they dont last very long!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 front hub servicing, is it easy?’ is closed to new replies.