Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope pro 2 freehub issue
  • vermillion
    Free Member

Any Hope pro 2 hub experts out there?
    Yesterday,when attempting to remove the cassette,I tried tapping it off the freehub but instead of the cassette coming off,the freehub came off the wheel instead.

When I eventually removed the cassette from the freehub,attached a new cassette and put it all back together,I noticed the the freehub wasn’t very err FREE.
    When I put the wheel back on the bike,I gave it a spin on the bike stand and the wheel,instead of freewheeling,tensioned the chain and drove the crank too.

I took it all apart again and noticed that eveything seemed ok until I pushed on the driveside end cap,It seems to push the freehub in just a little bit too far,squeezing the drive side seal and causing the freehub to become stiff when turning.
    At this point I’d expect some of you to get a lightbulb flash and tell me that the 2mm barrell spacer is missing,,It isn’t,but it’s as if the spacer could do with being a mm thicker.
    I thought I’d cured the problem by tapping the spindle towards the driveside slightly but when i attached it to the bike and tightened the maxle,it all lined back up to its previous stiff position.
    The cassette has nothing to do with the problem.

Ideas anyone???

jordie
    Free Member

I would play around with the seal, if everything works okay without it replace it making sure it is seated in the groove.

Rorschach
    Free Member

/\ this

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

LBS

allthepies
    Free Member

At this point I’d expect some of you to get a lightbulb flash and tell me that the 2mm barrell spacer is missing,

Do you mean the 25mm barrel spacer ? This should be fitted to the axle before fitting the freehub

Edit: Ignore, having watched the rebuild vid it’s a 2mm spacer 🙂

singlespeedstu

Sounds like the seals not in right on the outer edge.

They can be a bit tight sometimes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It was a wider spacer on older bulb and xc hubs. It is only about 2mm on pro 2 and EVO as the freehub bearing sits flush with the rear face of the freehub, where as it was recessed on bulb and xc.

Similarly, the bulb and xc bearing used to sit fairly loosely on a shoulder where as the seal in the pro 2 and EVO actually sits in a groove.

My guess would be that the seal is either not in the groove or if removed, may have been refitted the wring way around.

chives
    Free Member

Drive side and nds caps on wrong way round? Think they’re different lengths.

vermillion
    Free Member

Jordie,,spot on,,someone else sorted this for me on my club FB page,cheers
    🙂

Brianblessed
    Free Member

jordie
    Free Member

Another happy ending……yay
    🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 freehub issue’ is closed to new replies.