Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Evo SRAM and Shimano
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Hi All

I’ve got an old 26 inch hardtail that I want to modernise a bit and go to Eagle GX 12 speed. The hubs I have are hope pro 2 Evo, and the cassette is Shimano 10 speed. I’m not 100% sure, but the hub may be 135MM rather than 142MM.

Does anyone please know, will The eagle cassette bolt straight on to the hub? Or if not, what bits do I need to buy to get it to work please? I’m hoping I don’t have to buy a whole new hub!

Cheers

Northwind

You just need the freehub body- the GX and upwards cassettes use the XD freehub design not the old splined one. It’s not cheap unfortunately…

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-sram-xd-11-speed-cassette-freehub-body/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360617659&kpid=5360617659&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|skBboJfsv_dc|mcrid|295270531587|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360617659uk|mslid||&mkwid=skBboJfsv_dc&pcrid=295270531587&prd=5360617659uk&pgrid=60973737802&ptaid=pla-523219554876&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6s6Bs8DW5QIVCLTtCh12uQG_EAkYAiABEgImtvD_BwE

But it’s an easy swap.

Have to be honest, I’m a big fan of 1x but I don’t think I’d go to all that expense, I love the big 10-50 range on my full suss as it’s a big unit and I can use the help on hills, but my hardtail’s fine with an 11-42 cassette on which fits on an old style freehub.

qwerty
    Free Member

If you can wait until the new year, Shimano MicroSpline will be available for the Hope Pro2Evo. It’s another option.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thank you both for the help

Northwind – thanks that all makes sense and I think there seem to be a few reasonably priced on pinkbike at the mo.

What will make it or break it terms of price is if I need to change the cranks. Currently has a 2x setup and I’m hoping I’ll be back to bolt the sram chainring to the Shimano cranks

binman

SRAM NX would fit your existing hub.

Northwind

Maybe not the sram chainring but you’ll definitely be able to find a 1x ring that’ll fit any older shimano cranks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you can wait until the new year, Shimano MicroSpline will be available for the Hope Pro2Evo. It’s another option.

I asked and the answer was they hadnt yet decided hiw far back to go with compatibility. Not sure if the pro4 freehub is backward compattible.

But as northwind said, stick with 11s. XTR is about the same cost as GX and significantly lighter, just misses the 10t and 50t. Slx and xt are massively cheaper for similar weights to 11s GX.

Or suntrace do various cassettes like 11-50 with a weight penalty, but relatively cheap.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I asked and the answer was they hadnt yet decided hiw far back to go with compatibility. Not sure if the pro4 freehub is backward compattible.

It isn’t. The Pro4 barrels won’t fit Pro2 evo.

qwerty
    Free Member

I could be wrong, but I thought Hope had said they make a Pro2 Evo 40t version…?

teethgrinder

They did

jk1980
    Free Member

Sounds like I’ll be able to do this cheaper if I stick with Shimano.

My reasoning to want a full sram groupset was a sort of stop gap towards a new hardtail. I’ve got renewed interest in using it, but I know ultimately it probably needs replacing as it may be on the small side for me. So I thought if I end up using it enough and get back into hardtails, then I’ll sell it, keep the new modern groupset and get a nice new Kingdom frame next year! I now realise that’s completely flawed thanks to Boost….the old hardtail isn’t boost which sort of locks me in to old components unfortunately.

Good to know that I can go 11 speed on the hope hub, thanks

asbrooks

I did a similar upgrade on my old 26er.

I’d already gone 1x and was using a range expander cog on the 10 speed along with the Rad cage thing on a slx 10 speed rear mech.
    Later on I bought an slx 11 speed shifter and a sunrace 11 speed 10-46 cassette, works fine with the 10 speed rear mech.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Evo SRAM and Shimano’ is closed to new replies.