Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Evo issues
  • reeksy

Hi all – first time poster, sorry if this is already covered.

I’m having persistent issues with Hope Pro 2 Evo XD freehubs. It seems to munch through bearings at an excessive rate. I’m getting through a freehub / year at the moment. Twice bearings have collapsed, once wrecking the axle.

The first warning I get is a graunching sound under load. If this happens mid-ride I can spray liquid in to the back of the hub and the noise at least goes until I get home and strip it down.

I’ve followed the Hope videos.

Elsewhere I was told to not add any grease to the ratchet, but Hope technical advice said this is rubbish and to follow their instructions.

And i am torquing correctly.

Otherwise i love the hub – it spins forever – but it’s putting me off buying Hope again.

Any thoughts?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Have you contacted Hope about it? Doesn’t sound right to me so would assume it’s some kind of manufacturing defect. Hope customer service is excellent and I’d be surprised if they didn’t send you a new hub. Especially given how much you’ve spent on freehubs and bearings…

I’ve had a Pro 2 Evo since early 2015 that’s been ridden a lot, year round and never once serviced. It’s still smooth as butter

reeksy

They were pretty uninterested last time I tried them … i sent photos of the f’ed up axle to see if they thought I should replace and they just told me to buy a new one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

The biggest issue is the size of the bearings that have to be used to accomodate the XD driver, they aren’t really up to the job, and if you’ve got the stainless versions then it’s even worse. I’ve seen quite a few of them let go,in both Hope and other manufacturers hubs. Non-stainless and frequent replacement is about the best you can hope for without going to something like a Pro4, which has a larger inner bearing, but still has to have the small outer.

reeksy

Thanks – that’s interesting. I’ve been replacing with non-Hope good quality bearings, simply because I can pick them up easily. Maybe just need to replace them more often.

I had considered swapping out the XD for a shimano too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had that but with a shimano freehub, frequent collapsing to freehub and DS hub bearing. Last time it happened was on the puffer, unfortunately.

Got pissed off after that and binned it, got new wheels.

I could only reason that it was a poorly machined hub, as the pro2 I had before it was great, as is the pro4 I currently have.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My pro 2 Evo with Shimano freehub is the same.

My record is 240miles from a bearing. -the little one in the freehub disintegrates.

Hope ones definantly lady longer for me ….getting about 6-8 months out of them . Mine tends to just stop freewheeling and giving chain slack when it starts to go.

My cc/pro2 and pro3 have all been great

ukdegbro
    Free Member

Check you have the spacer between bearings in the free hub.

Use only Hope Endura bearings, in my experience of using Hope right back to the original 3 piece front hub with titanium centre tube days they really are worth the extra. If I remember well when I tried to get bearings I could totally trust (SKF for example) they did not sell the sizes needed. The ones available may not be premium quality.

The XD issue may boost bearing wear but I’ve been through every generation of their hubs and some I’ve had 15 years and not changed bearings. When I have though knocking new bearings in without the proper drifts will load the inner race and cause premature failure. Load must be even so you are not trying to split the bearing.

Hope this helps 🤪

reeksy

yep, spacers are in place. And it is Hope bearings that are carking it sometimes (on my third freehub).
    The bearing sizes are standard and the guys in the bearing shop where I am have cheap or expensive options. I’ve only used one set of the expensive ones as I’ve replaced entire freehubs with bearings already fitted.

I don’t have the special drifts, though. Rather luckily I have old motorbike suspension bushes that happen to do the job perfectly.

carlos
    Free Member

reeksy – What colour is the XD Driver? IIRC, gold is for Pro 2 Evo and Silver for Pro 4 if you have a silver one that may be part of the issue.

When you rebuild the freehub, try fitting the outer bearing in 1st, then the spacer then the inner bearing.

Edit – Just read your last post and noted you’re having the same issues with new drivers, so prob not bearing installation fault.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’re no really ‘special drifts’ tbh, they’re no better than your suspension bushes will be.

It’s annoying as hell when it happens, I never got much in the way of warning, tell tale sign at the end up was skipping gears across the middle of the cassette (using the big sprocket or bottom one holds the cassette) but by that time the wear has happened and if you’re on a long ride then just pray it lasts.

Not being able to freewheel at 1am on the puffer wasn’t fun. 🙂

SirHC

I’d check the spacer between the bearings to see if its worn, chances are it is given you’ve had a few collapsed bearings and in the process the bearing has ground the end off it.

I had the same, turned out to be the spacer was worn (after 3000 miles), new spacer and no issues. Never bothered with stainless bearings, just good quality ones.

BadlyWiredDog

They were pretty uninterested last time I tried them … i sent photos of the f’ed up axle to see if they thought I should replace and they just told me to buy a new one.

I’d go back to them. Last time this happened to me they asked me to return the axle and the freehub and supplied replacements gratis even though the hub was out of warranty. It’s a recognised issue that comes up a fair bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bwd when was that.

Hope have always been top for me when it comes to warrenty and even non warrenty above the call of duty stuff.

I called them about 18months ago as my x2 caliper had corroded out from the inside ……leaving me with no brake.

No external sign just himmm not stopping not stopping pump pump pump no lever …..fluid everywhere.

The young lad on the phone couldn’t have given less of a shit if he tried.

I wasn’t even wanting a replacement – I’d already bought one….I more wanted to know why ,was it common , what can I do to prevent it in future , was it just a bad batch of material….he tried to blame it on the fitting and removal of wheels….especially the back one as it gets removed more often….. Made me wonder if the lad rode bikes.

Fwiw I have (rustymacs) hope drift and support set and in so have been fitted to the book

reggiegasket
    Free Member

swapping the bearings isn’t a big job, if you have a suitable press (Wheels Man. is a good one), and the bearings themselves are cheap. I certainly do mine at least once a year. Spending time emailing Hope/on STW might be better spent mending the freehub… ;0)

reeksy

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with the spacer… Well I have three to choose from now anyway 🙃

I’ve sent them another email… I suspect that because I’m in Queensland it makes it less of a concern for them.

Still, as I’m tossing up between Hope Fortus and Hunt Trail wheelset for the Cotic that’s on order, this may influence the decision 😬

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The guy from Bird used to recommend a torque that was less that SRAM specified for the XD, can’t rememeber what it was though 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

Bwd when was that.

About a year ago, by e-mail. I was super polite fwiw.

Northwind

Mine go through more bearings than I like, it’s especially annoying that they get used maybe a quarter as much as my DTs, but need bearings just as often. Like coatsey says, the bearings are quite small, and they’re also not well sealed (or rather, the hub isn’t really sealed or shielded much)

Poopscoop

Some of the original hope bearings I’ve fitted have been very dry inside when I’ve popped a seal off them.

Now when fitting hope or other make,I always top up the grease with that blue Mobil stuff that hope themselves use.

Not too certain this is causing your problem though from the sounds of it…

whitestone
    Free Member

WTF are folk doing to them to get such a short lifespan? Hope Pro 2 Evo lasted five years and about 14,000km on my Solaris, I only replaced it because the wheel rim was knackered, the hub itself is fine. Went through a lot of bad conditions as well. Never added extra grease to any of the bearings either on that hub or any other (Hope and other makes) and they run fine. I don’t remember ticking the “can I have the good one to piss STW off” box when I ordered them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mibbe you ticked the ‘I’m a smug walloper’ box instead. 😊

Seriously though, no-one is saying they’re all shit, speaking personally I’m questioning their machining tolerances, so it’s perfectly feasible that you got a good one, and mine was like something made by a blind baboon.

reeksy

Yep, it certainly sounds like there’s some variation in quality, although not sure why all three freehubs i’ve tried have been so bad… or maybe my expectations are unreasonable.

I can only compare with the Mavic Deemax Pro i have on my other bike which shows no sign of wear (touches wood!!!)

Anyway it was worth emailing Hope as by way of apology for the expense and agonising effort of replacing bearings they have sent me a free wheelset, an HB160 and a cup of concrete mix to HTFU.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

although not sure why all three freehubs i’ve tried have been so bad

Possibly shit tolerances on the hub shell, seal face oversize, water ingress ensues.

Enjoy the 160 though! 😂

bedmaker

My suspicion is on varying quality too.

I have a lovely purple / Ti three piece hub on my roadbike which must be decades old and runs like new.

I also had a Pro 2 which I gave up on and flogged. Bearings simply lasted a few rides before giving up the ghost.
    I replaced a few times, with proper tools, (and experience!) but it was a dead loss. No obvious reason why, apart from the useless plastic seal at the freehub.

Compare that to my DT hub on the fatbike which has been untouched since 2014 and still runs perfect despite many submergings and filthy winter riding. It’s just a far superior product.

reeksy

Yeah, my money’s on the plastic seal. My riding’s all weathers on sandy surfaces… not sure there’s anything similar in the UK really. Everyone says it’s really bad for wear on parts, but I think everyone says that about wherever they live 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Evo issues’ is closed to new replies.