Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope Pre Peak – Anyone in?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://hopeprepeaks.com/route/

Well you know bored on a Thursday night, don’t want to waste summer and all that, seems like I’ve entered, be up there on the Grail.

So anyone else around, any suggestions for camping nearby or cheap places to stay and drink beer on the Saturday night?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Me an missus are at work the next day so we’re driving down in the morning, she’s doing the shorter one, then we’re driving back afterwards.

Monday is not going to be a productive day 🙂

riklegge

Yeah, heading over for the day. I can’t decide between my MTB or cx bike; I think I’ll enjoy it more on the MTB, but cx is better training for 3 Peaks…

johnw1984
    Free Member

We’re doing it on a Cube Reaction GTC and a hot pink Trek Pro Caliber 🙂

I haven’t got a CX/Gravel bike anymore or I would have done it on that.  Never say never in the future though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/rider_notes_2018.pdf?utm_source=Direct

Right so the info landed – no bike choice as doing 85km on the Meta is not a good idea 🙂

So some quick questions….

I really should tubeless the wheels, DT C1800’s and Schwable G-One bites 40mm Am I in for puncture hell?

Next up light cheap and packagle waterproof trousers? Any suggestions?

Also need a damm pump again 🙁 anything good that does CO2 and is a punp?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd?

johnw1984
    Free Member

So far we have whistles 🙂

Still need one of those “safety bag” things and a few bits.  Was hoping to do it without a pack, but I can’t see that happening.

daern
    Free Member

Not doing the ride (would love to be always tend to be busy when it’s on) but was surprised to read the kit list – mandatory leg and arm cover? For a ride in August? Obviously, the weather can change in the hills but I’ve ridden most of the route in different rides and, were I under my own steam, I’d probably not bother with any of it! Yes, in January, but recently it’s been too warm to be carting a bag of winter gear around “just in case” on a 25C day!

Hopefully, common sense will prevail on the day! Good luck to those riding – I’m very jealous indeed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m planning a foil blanket and the tiniest pair of waterproof trousers – kids ones count?? Want to avoid a pack if I can so might have to stick a saddle bag on if it’s dry

MadBillMcMad

I’m in and will be on the fatty.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Would they really check everyone’s kit and not let people ride if they don’t have waterproof pants?

Some of the kit seems silly, but to be honest I’ve never done this type of event before.  I could understand if it was the wrong side of September, but mid August?

Christ… I don’t even have a bell fitted!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve been in events who do…

Fair point though it can turn hideous up here in about 20  mins, I can’t fit a bell but I can say ring ring

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ordered two bells because I kept putting it off anyway 🙂

I may have missed it, but I didn’t see all these requirements for kit when I was paying for the event.  I’ll scrape some stuff together and keep it in the van just in case.

MadBillMcMad

I don’t own and never have worn waterproof pants.

I have waterproof shorts. In winter I just use a good water repellent lycra and the shorts. And I certainly won’t be wearing those winter lycra.

gemr
    Free Member

In, there are a few of us are heading up from London.  I’ll be flailing around on an OPEN ONE + and hoping I can get away with waterproof shorts…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 day to go!! Has everyone got their whistle?

Got a box full of kit and a B&B booked in Gisburn to avoid a silly early start from here. Thinking about doing a shake down ride up there this afternoon and then time to get packed up, might have the waterproof trousers taped on the frame somewhere 🙂

Apart from that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656287

Might need those waterproofs on though, could be a little grim

mikewsmith
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

Course check… See what I'm in for #hopeprepeaks2018

A post shared by Michael Smith (@smithmichaelw) on

Up the first climb this afternoon, good news dust is not going to be a problem

johnw1984
    Free Member

Up early and ready to go! Might just wear my longer winter bibs to be honest.  Will feel way to stuffy with waterproof pants.

nearly 3 months of sunshine, only to see it piss it down now! 🙂

Whistle at the ready!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Before

After

View this post on Instagram

Survived

A post shared by Michael Smith (@smithmichaelw) on

Headwind on the canal not appreciated ..

Bit dazed, weather curtailed us all to the short route good call in the end.

crazy-legs

Bit dazed, weather curtailed us all to the short route good call in the end.

I was out that way yesterday, met a couple of the route signage guys and they were reckoning that all their work marking the long route was going to be wasted due to the weather coming in. Good day out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will definitely feel like it once I’ve had a shower…. Awesomely well organised, heaps of support, brilliant feed stations (despite only refilling water and having some oranges) free cuppa at the end too. I’ll be back when it’s dry

riklegge

Enjoyed that. I’m knackered now though. I’m also glad they cut it down to the short route, not sure my legs could cope with another 15km!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I can’t see the option in the results to sort by completed time (I know it’s a sportive….)

https://www.resultsbase.net/event/4285/results?page=1

So just in case you are interested to see how your time compared to others in a non racey way… I’m very happy with where I seem to have come

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jS4nYGSMhvoL5oKTUp2R5VLRvgGTEwDjduQaPk5WY9c/edit?usp=sharing

For some reasons it seems like 102 people must have forgotten to set their alarms this morning 🙂

Anyway… final thoughts now everything is unpacked and washing on

I had way too much food & gels considering how well stocked it was, I expected some punctures even with the tubeless I couldn’t see how the G-Ones would cope with that so I had about 6 CO2’s and 4 tubes with me. All still in the bag.

Waterproof trousers, whistle and survival bag/blanket – not needed as it was still warm but if you were stopped for any length of time up high it could have gone south very quickly.

My right wrist is still a bit dodgy so a double wrap on the bars or some gel pads (or both) would have been good

The only bike I would have considered swapping for would be a fast 29r hardtail, but the turn of speed on the road the gravel/cx bikes had was a big help.

Not sure any tyre was going to grip up that lumpy/sharp/wet limestone!!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah I didn’t see you on the Canyon 🙁  Plenty of gravel/CX and the odd fat bike too!

A great day out despite the weather.  Was supposed to be doing the 85k, but as it was 70k, me and the missus just made it a team effort 🙂 Think it was around 5:11 taking it easy.  Didn’t feel too bad at the end to be honest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was out in the first group, was quiet when I got back in too, was looking out for familiar faces between blinking the mud out

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah right, I think we set off around 7:45. Good split though as it wasn’t too busy anywhere.

robowns
    Free Member

Solid effort to all involved, looked rough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.sportivephoto.net/home.tlx?eventid=21253

Pics are up, smiles and mud all round

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nice one Mike, was wondering where to look for pics.  Loads of cameras shoved at me, I felt like a celeb! 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pre Peak – Anyone in?’ is closed to new replies.