Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Mono Mini spring snap
  • daveaasmith
    Free Member

Folks

On last night's ride, I suffered a snapped pad retaining spring in my rear caliper. Identified itself by an almighty grinding noise on braking – the spring had ended up between the pad and rotor.

Oddly, this is the second time in three rides this has happened.

Annoyingly, when I was dismantling the caliper to remove the spring, thinking I'd be ok without it for the 5 miles back home, one of the pads flew into a pile of leaves, never to be seen again 😯 👿 which made for a few scary downhills at the end of the ride, with only a front brake !!!

Anyone any ideas why this might be happening? Pads were only half worn.

Cheers, Dave.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what make of pads and NO

daveaasmith
    Free Member

Genuine Hope, sintered.

I've always taken the spring getting mangled up in the disc as a sign that the pads are worn down to the thickness of the spring.
    Never had it happen with half worn pads.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'm with MG. Could have first happened with some dirt getting in there. If you've bent the spring back it is probably not the shape it should be which is why it keeps happening. At if you get some more Hope pads you get new springs as well, unlike the other suppliers

Coleman
    Free Member

Agree with above comments.
    Only happened to me once in about 5 years using Minis. Pads were nearly worn down and very muddy gritty conditions.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Happened to me last Saturday at Cannock at end of a very wet and gritty ride; but first time ever. On checking found the rear pads to be almost down to the metal. I think I might check the pads a bit more often in the winter from now on and possibly use Hope sintered in the winter.

lowey

Happened to me probably about 4 or 5 times. I just take the spring out now and leave it out. Its a pain in the arse when changing wheel, but otherwise no big faff.

Shit design though. Why they dont they magnetize the pistons like Magura do.

coatesy
    Free Member

I think it's down to the rounded shape of the pads exposing the top edge of the spring to the rotor far earlier than if it were a squared off design.I tend to stop the moment I hear it rub, and remove it before it gets totally mangled. Sliding a 2mm allen key in between the pads before fitting the wheel helps a lot.

daveaasmith
    Free Member

Interesting comments guys.

I'll get some more sintered Hope pads, and likely put the experience down to the extreme mud on my rides.

Although having said that – new brake are always appealing.

Anyone any experience of Avid Code 5 ?

Wiggle are doing them for just over £160 for a pair (203mm front 185mm rear) at the moment. Hmmm, time to spend xmas money I wonder……

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Nah – if you're going new brakes its got to be Hope Tech X2's

daveaasmith
    Free Member

Yeah but £210 for a pair.

Might as well stretch to £240 for the M4's.

Where does it stop ?!!??

lowey

Lol… a spring shucks itself in your rotor and you decide you need new brakes !!

I like the way you think mate.

daveaasmith
    Free Member

I have absolutely ZERO patience fella.

It bores me 😈 😯 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Mono Mini spring snap’ is closed to new replies.