Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope Jockey Wheels – not turning
  • simmy
    Free Member

Got these at Xmas and just realised the lower one has stopped turning without resistance on the chain, the upper one is fine but the lower was ” sucking ” the chain back when turning the cranks the wrong way on the workstand.

Loosening the bolt through the middle off, it turned fine but as soon as it was tightened up, it wouldn’t turn.

On the website, they just list a sealed bearing in the middle of the jockey wheel so I’m wondering if this has gone.

I’ve put a standard Shimano jockey back on and its fine so just wondered if I should just ring Hope tomorrow or if it could be something else ?

nuke

Now its off the mech and the Shimano is in its place, if you just hold and try to turn the wheel, does the bearing feel rough?

zangolin
    Free Member

Strip it down and re-grease the bearing – unless it’s completely knackered of course.
    Make a point of re-greasing my Hope j.wheels every month esp with all the gloop atm.

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah it feels rough off the bike as if it doesn’t want to spin more like forcing it to turn.

How do I go about regreasing ?

Cheers

zangolin
    Free Member

Using a very small and fine flat bladed screw driver very carefully lever off the central alloy cap(Hope call it “jockey wheel spacer”). I use a small jewellers type screw driver. Once you have one side off just push the other side off with a suitably sized flat ended drift. Flick the bearing seals off with jewellers screw driver clean and re-grease.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If in doubt, just get in touch with Hope. They really do have some of the best customer service in the business – always extremely helpful for me.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My hope ones went solid after a very wet muddy ride in December , stripped down add a little grease and they have been on the bike untouched since

simmy
    Free Member

Cheers guys yeah just took it apart and it was full of dirt and drier than……. 😀

Greased up now and smooth as silk.

Thanks a lot 8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope Jockey Wheels – not turning’ is closed to new replies.