Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope Hub Help – adapters for Pro3 hubs
  • nbt

Have been offered a set of wheels by a friend that is tempting me, but would need to change the adapters and rotors

They’re Hope Pro 3 SP-AM4 wheels, which use a specific 4-arm rotor. Current setup is :

FRONT: 20mm front axle with 203 rotor at the front
    REAR: 10mm rear axle for DT Swiss axle 180 at the back

My current bike uses 15mm front and 9mm QR rear, and I run 183 front and 160 rear rotors.

AXLES: Ideally I’d like to be able to use the wheels anywhere. Is it a big job to swap over to a 9mm axle at the rear? Which kit do I need? The front wheel should be an easier job, as far as I can see it’s just a matter of getting the new adapters and swapping them over, be it 15mm or QR.

BRAKES: This might be more tricky. 203 / 180 is frankly overkill for what I do, but it might be cheaper and easier to get new adapters rather than new rotors. I was considering buying a 160 rear brake rotor and putting the 180 on the front, but it might be easier just to buy 2 new adapters and live with bigger disks. Is it possible to run 180 front with a hope tech X2 brake? all the adapters I’ve seen are for 183 front.

Another question, are Pro2 hub adapters compatible with Pro3 hubs and vice versa?

thanks in advance

nbt

Bumpty bumpty

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what does the hope site say (Normally the best place to check first)?

neninja
    Free Member

The Pro2 front 15mm adapters are compatible with the Pro3 front hub – they’re all the same.

The rear are specific to the Pro3 – they just require an end cap change like the Pro2 Evo (but Pro2 Evo end caps will not fit as far as I know).

Just get a Superstar 10mm QR – that will fit any bike that takes a normal QR set up. The rear is 10mm as standard not 9mm.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=287

I think I’ve got a nearly new 183mm AM4 disc that I no longer need as I sold the wheelset.

stevied
    Free Member

The front adaptors are the same so you can get 15mm Pro2 adaptors. The rear, I believe, are different. You could just use the 10mm DT axle as it should fit in normal 9mmQR dropouts. Failing that, I’ve got a set of Rear 9mm QR’s I don’t need (brand new as I went 1omm thru axle).
    If it were me, I’d go with the discs on there and buy adaptors to suit. Cheaper and better braking (and only a tad heavier)

marsdenman
    Free Member

Only thing i can add is that i took out my stock, knitting needle, QR and replaced it with a 10mm DT Swiss one without having to change anything – not on a Hope hub mind but I’m 99.9% sure that it’s the same for any hub that is fitted with a standard QR…

stevied
    Free Member

They are a great wheelset BTW. I’m running Flow rims on mine…very happy with them.

nbt

the hope site is singularly unhelpful, hence asking here

cheers for your comments folks

nbt

Dead easy. The Pro2 adapters work easily with the pro3 hubs, so I was able to use my front QR adapters to put it in the wheel jig and chgeck the truing (perfectly true) then slap in the 15mm adapters for use on the bike.

The rear was a tad more difficult, the 10mm adapters (rear axles are 10mm, front are 9mm I’ve found) didn’t want to cme off, but once I removed them the QR adapters slotted straight on

2 new disk brake adapters now fitted and I’m ready to rock and roll tomorrow!

galactus
    Free Member

Hi nbt,
    Got the same spec wheel set as you.
    I had to change front disc adaptor,wasn’t noticeable as far as weight and braking difference.
    Forgot to say I’m running hope tech x2 brakes
    Absolute stonking wheels

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably still worth speaking to Hope directly,despite being called a Pro 3,the SP-AM4’s parts aren’t all Pro 3, some bits were shared with the old Pro 2. You’ll also find they aren’t listed in the tech support diagrams on Hope’s website either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hub Help – adapters for Pro3 hubs’ is closed to new replies.