• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope hoops spoke breakages
  • dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 sets of Hope Hoops with the crest rims and I’ve suffered a lot of broken spokes on both wheel sets. The rims themselves have no dings and have been great. Prior to switching to these I can’t recall suffering a single broken spoke. The spokes themselves are the standard sapim race spokes.

I’m not sure if this is a side affect of the build quality of wheelset – I know that Hope wheel sets are some times “baggy”, or perhaps related to the light weight rims themselves or perhaps the sapim spokes? Anybody else suffered from this and any ideas how I can resolve this once and for all?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve snapped spokes in all kinds of wheels. Are they old new re tensioned done up tight big hits? Do you now ride harder?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Are these 29er wheels? I have had various Hope builds over the years and all the 26 inch builds have been great.My recent 29 set not so good,no broken spokes but folded a rim.Massively out of tension and baggy as you say.A good going over with a tension meter made all the difference.Hope did good on a warranty though and rebuilt it on a new rim.
    Thanx,
    Max

dougieb
    Free Member

not really ridding any harder, my last set were 819’s and those were bomb proof. I enjoy the funs side but nothing extreme. Both wheelsets are reasonably new and not seen masses of use.

dougieb
    Free Member

these are 26 inch wheels. Perhaps a re-tension is required

Northwind

FWIW I’ve failed to break any spokes in my Flows- first on a 6 inch bike, now on my dh bike. I’ve managed to crack one of the rims, though. They were wheelpro ones though so it may be Roger worked his magic on them.

Always found that unless it was a single incident that breaks the spokes (ie stick in wheel, massive hit), that if one’s fatigued out then the others probably will be too. So you replace one then another pops soon after. Mean time to failure in action…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

where are they breaking?

dougieb
    Free Member

In or around the middle usually where they cross over. Makes me think it’s the spokes rather than a tensioning issue

trail_rat
    Free Member

I sent mine back after the first 3 went within a month

The spokes are gash. Ive never seen a spoke snap in the centre before – i have built all manor of wheels for all manir f riding with all manor of spokes. Worst were api stainless – they were stretchy like wet noodles- use right size an after a few months they were so long i couldnt wind enough tension in on the nipple

Second are these sapim ones – custom spokes for hope hoops apparenty- they are cheap though 1.30 rrp for a black spoke.

vorlich
    Free Member

No probs here with my Flows. And I’m a talentless 15+ stone chod.

juan
    Free Member

Lions to me that you have pointes out the problem of your wheels yourself… Sapim…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Any object striking a moving wheel causes damage (sometimes only visible with a magnifying glass or microscope).
    Top quality manufacture will safeguard against damage. Lower standard processes will produce an inferior quality. SAPIM draws wire in such way that no change in molecular material structure occurs. The spoke does not twist much when it is built into a wheel.
    Aerodynamic, elliptical spokes, such as the SAPIM CX-Ray spoke, are best fitted with a special CX-Ray key.
    This will prevent the spokes from twisting during lacing and centring.”

Quote from sapims website Talking about why spokes. Nap at the butt Made me chuckle. Basically says our spokes snap here but we dont know why. I recon poor draw and cross sectional area change magnifying stress coupled with te low tension on stans rims cyclically shock loading the spoke.

Nothing hit mine ive had front and rears break. Had a rebuild with new spokes on the rear from hope and had no other issues with thT wheel till i popped a spoke through the rim last year. – oh and when i broke the spokes i was 68 kg , 82 now but still under 85 limit on wheels.

br
    Free Member

Are these Pro 2’s or 3’s?

I’ve 2 sets of Pro 2’s evo SP’s running Crests and not had any issues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pro 3 SP on 355s for me – 24 spokes

BR it seems to be hit and miss …. one fella has loads of issues the next has none – its either bad batches of spokes or REALLY bad builds – ive seen some bad builds in my time and even they havnt done stuff like this.

My rear wheels been fine since they rebuilt it – was at least 3 years ago. – till i pulled the spoke out but ill chalk that one down to my 1500watt sprint output 😉

br
    Free Member

Pro 3 SP on 355s for me – 24 spokes

tbh I avoided those, with an 85kg weight limit (and already having a flexy 24 spoke DT Swiss wheel) I thought’d they be too racing-whippet for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops spoke breakages’ is closed to new replies.