Hope hoops (road)

Home Forum Bike Forum Hope hoops (road)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope hoops (road)
  • daveh

I’m not up to speed with what Hope are presently offering, what are you looking at? I had RS80s and they were OK, I could flex the rear into the brake blocks when stomping and I didn’t think the hubs (rear particularly) were up to Ultegra standards – for example, because the freehub hadn’t been machined perfectly flat the cassette wobbled side to side slightly when freewheeling. A friends did the same too. I switched to Hope Pro3 on Mavic Open Pro. I haven’t ridden them as much as the RS80s but theyre as you’d expect, hubs are the usual Hope quality and they build into a decent stiff wheel with the Open Pros. The only downside is the freehub noise, but you’re supposed to be pedalling!

bigG

Just got a set of the Pro 3 Carbon road wheels, they’re really very nice. Light, strong and make that awesome hope freewheel buzz so the guy in front knows when to speed up…

Not the lightest road wheels out there, but the after sales support is what sold them to me to be honest. Nice to have that peace of mind.

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

Any opinion on these?

I’m using bonty race x lites on the road bike at the moment, but they need replacing. Tempted by rs80’s at 300, but the hopes are around 30 less and the head is wondering whether at 14 1/2 stone, and with autumn looming I might be better off forgoing the bling (well, to me, at least) and buying the Hopes. Riding in a flatter part of the country.

innit_gareth

I have a rear wheel – use them for commuting. Broken 3 spokes and needed to true them (bought from merlin) – I’m 100kg but was disappointed with this – never had a fulcrum 7 spoke brake.

Open pro rim breaking surface wore out within 18 months. Rim gave way – new continental tyre exploded taking some of the rim with it. Just had a new wheel built up with the hub so hoping for more luck this time.

toppers3933

Currently running them on my road bike with the Stans rim. Took the Stans stickers off because the eye bleach was making my eyes sore. 🙂
    I really like them. Nice and stiff. No problems with them at all so far and I’m a fairly heavy geeza.

micky

I have a set of Hope RS. Very good IMO. I used them for commuting to begin with in all weathers with XTR v-brakes on a hybrid so I wore through the first set of rims a long time ago. Great to maintain. Took Hope a long time to build them at the time. Good for anything really but great for winter training & commuting.

shedbrewed

Got a pair of the pro 3/stans wheels through last week for the CX bike, weight is 1727g the pair, ca. 200g heavier than the RS80s.
    I like the RS80s, I’m 83kg and I’ve toured on them with luggage, TTd on them and just Sunday ridden with them.
    If it were my money I’d buy the shimanos.

slowjo

Fulcrum Quattros at £270 might be worth a peep. I’m 14 and a half stone and I do my best to give my wheels a hard time. I have never had any brake rub (brakes are set very close) no matter how hard I push them.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

A bit more, but these, as per the thread last week.

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

Njee, I’d looked at that thread, theyre nice, but well over budget by the time you add in shipping, and potentially vat and customs.

So, no clear consensus then, thought this would have come down solidly on the Hope side, was looking at the open pros.

I’ll probably just procrastinate now til one or the other has sold out or changed price, then pick the set that’s left. 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops (road)’ is closed to new replies.