Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope Hoops Alternatives?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Hi, I want a new set of wheels for my BFe and want QR rear and QR/15mm front (I want QR/15mm front as I’ll be upgrading my fork next!), the choice is a little bewildering and so I’d like some help please:

I could just go for another pair of Hope Hoops (as on my DH bike), but I think the rear hub noise would be a bit too annoying on the BFe, especially while climbing. So what alternatives are there for the same or lower price, which is as good (or better) and can be run QR/15mm front?

Also what rims would you recommend (I’d like something fairly light, but strong (100+kg rider!) and I’d also like the option of Tubeless)?

Thanks.

scotroutes

FWIW, the hub doesn’t make a noise when you are climbing….

creamegg
    Free Member

Depends how much pushing he’ll be doing

scotroutes

😆

jim
    Free Member

Arch EX Hope Hoops and peddle up hill?

JEngledow
    Free Member

FWIW, the hub doesn’t make a noise when you are climbing….

Oh balls, now I feel stupid 😳

..but the noisy hub would get annoying if riding for any length of time.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Arch EX Hope Hoops and peddle up hill?

Exactly what I would go for.

JEngledow – I have FlowEX on Pro2 Evos on my Meta 5… don’t even notice the hub noise if that helps at all.

creamegg
    Free Member

I like the noise myself

JEngledow
    Free Member

don’t even notice the hub noise if that helps at all.

I like the noise myself

Cheers, I’m quite concious of it as I don’t pedal much on the DH bike so hear it all the time, but do quite like it although I sometimes feel like I’m spoiling other peoples peace and quiet!

danielgroves
    Free Member

sometimes feel like I’m spoiling other peoples peace and quiet!

Pfft. Loud hubs just sound awesome 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Pfft. Loud hubs just sound awesome

They are the best thing for getting walkers to hear you way before you reach them.

shortcut

For the money Hope Hoops with ArchEX is the best for what you describe.

If you really can’t live with the noise stick some XC lube in the free hub body every few weeks, or just pedal more.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

100kg DH bike owning rider on a BFe, I’d recommend Flow EX over the Arch EX as the small weight penalty gives a lot more strength.

WBC

I’m currently building up a BFe and have gone for Flow EX’s on Pro2 Evos. Still undecided on forks though!

ThePinkster

Anyone got any ideas where the best price for Pro2 Evo with Flow EX’s is at the moment or are they all pretty much the same?

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve been putting marine pump grease on my Hope pawls, makes them really properly quiet and no lag, sticking or gunking, seems to last and not breakdown and get noisy again either.

chrispo
    Free Member

My Hope freewheel has gone from quiet to almost silent… Does this mean it’s about to die?

zelak999
    Free Member

@thepinkster just bought a pair of hope hoops with flow ex from Wiggle for about £260.
    Bargain.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Still undecided on forks though!

What travel is the BFe? Dual-air revelations are nice forks and reasonably light. I have the 2012 XX version and absolutely love them.

danielgroves
    Free Member

My Hope freewheel has gone from quiet to almost silent

Might mean the pawl springs need replacing… I’d give it a service if I were you, the pawls are reasonably cheap so it could be worth replacing them to be sure.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18780

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Chris King on Spanks.. Do you like green?

D0NK

Depends how much pushing he’ll be doing

ah the tick tick tick of failure, it depresses me, might aswell be fail fail fail 🙁

They are the best thing for getting walkers to hear you way before you reach them.

no, my rear brake howling like a banshee all the way down warnscale bottoms is even better than a hope freehub. Proper high pitched shriek, contaminated pads I think, I had to keep apologising to walkers for ruining the silence and solitude of the countryside.

ThePinkster

Cheers Zelak999, I’ll check that out now.

jairaj

Superstar hubs with your choice of Stans rim.

ThePinkster

Aarrgghhhh… the Wiggle website’s really annoying – my work webserver is in Germany so it appears in German and won’t change to English and remain like that….

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Hope Hoops and for the money they’re pretty hard to beat. The free hub does my head in so will be getting some lube chucked on the pawls to quieten it down. It’s not so bad when there ate a few of you etc but riding on your Todd first thing in the morning it sounds really, really loud.

Build quality seems good although I’ve buckled my rear wheel first ride out. But all if my tear wheels seem to have a slight wobble.

adsh
    Free Member

[/quote]My Hope freewheel has gone from quiet to almost silent… Does this mean it’s about to die?

Yes – when mine did this it then started to fail to pick up intermittently. The pawls were shagged. Take care it doesn’t pick up just when you really need drive!

orangeboy
    Free Member

What about stans hubs with arch ex rims , they seem to cover every option with fittings and good spares back up
    Not as loud as hope but not silent either

chrispo
    Free Member

My Hope freewheel has gone from quiet to almost silent

Might mean the pawl springs need replacing… I’d give it a service if I were you, the pawls are reasonably cheap so it could be worth replacing them to be sure.

Thanks, will look into it

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops Alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.