Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope Hed Doctor
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

fantastic bit of kit , when it all goes right……

the bolt is rubbish….. it snaps, its brittle, its £2.49 on chain reaction and they are out of stock.

i had to nick the bolt out of my mums specialized hardorck, shes not happy, shes 71 and wants to keep riding…… and i want to ride in the morning.

has anyone used a bolt from screwfix etc, thats steel and wont ffffing snap.

also what size?

nuke

Just use any topcap and bolt. I use Hed Doctors on all my bikes and don't think any have the original Hope bolt and topcap

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

i want to buy a bolt from screwfix, who are open on sunday so i can replace my mums bolt.

any ideas of diameter……

emac65
    Free Member

"NOTE, Before use take apart and grease all if the internal threads and surfaces that have to slide against one another (NOT the surface that will touch the inside of the steerer!), failure to do this will make it feel tight before it is. This makes it tempting to tighten even more, this is a light weight alloy bolt, it will snap if over tightened. Grease threads and surfaces and it will be fine."

scaredypants

notwithstanding your ace mechanical skillz, you can put yer mum's bolt straight back in once you've GENTLY PRELOADED your own headset

get thee to park tools or sheldon, forthwith

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

well, i found the solution via a bike shop…. many thanks to addiktion in snorbens

i brought a cheap star fangled bolt set…

preload the hed doctor with a standard headset bolt; i think M5 or M6 X 25-35 mm then put the hope bolt in…..

screwfix do packs of 50

snowpaul
    Free Member

hed doctors = rubbish bolts

j_me
    Free Member

snowpaul – Member
    hed doctors = rubbish bolts

It won't cope with being overtightened. Alternatively swap you nice lightweight kit for some steel bolts from b&q

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hed Doctor’ is closed to new replies.