Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • hope hed doctor
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

why is it better than a star nut? (is it?)

bought a second hand bike which has one, but i don’t really see why you would bother..

xiphon
    Free Member

It gives a better grip on the inside of the steerer, and will allow the bolt to be perfectly vertical (which is important if you’re gently tightening up your headset/stem/spacers)

wwaswas

saves hammering a star nut into a carbon steerer for some.

scaredypants

they make an excellent indicator of mechanical capability, or rather the spate of posts about their snapping bolts does

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

fair enough. i suppose that makes sense though i can’t say i’ve had a problem before. it is nice and shiny anyway.

edit: carbon steerer makes a lot more sense!

andysredmini
    Free Member

You can get them out of the steerer easily too.

mattjg
    Free Member

I tried it on my last build, because the headset came with one and because I knew I wanted to take it out at least once as I got the steerer length right (multiple cuts).

It was a PITA – there’s a fundamental contradiction between having it wide enough to start with that it doesn’t fall thru the steerer, and so it grips for tightening, and loose enough that you can get it in the steerer – and it eventually packed in because the little rubber band around the outside frayed and broke.

I wouldn’t bother again.

IHN

You dont need the little rubber band.

I’ve used them loads, I think they’re easier to get in straight than a SFN (unless of course you have a SFN putter-inner tool, which I don’t)

mattjg
    Free Member

You dont need the little rubber band.

I couldn’t make it work without, I presumed its job was to create enough friction in the steerer that the tightener hex can be rotated without the whole gubbins just spinning in the steerer.

(Actually I do have a SFN putter-inner too, it makes the whole thing a doddle).

MrGreedy

Unless you’ve got a carbon steerer or some other special requirement, just spend a few quid on a proper fitting tool for a SFN. I found the Hed Doctor a PITA on any steerers with a less than perfect tolerance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘hope hed doctor’ is closed to new replies.