Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Hope Headset Help, Something Aint Right! Pics Inside
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hey guys, in my pikes thread a few days back, we had a discussion about my headset…..and the problems i seem to have with it

heres the briefing, im running a tapered headset, hope headset, standard 1 1/8th fork and the lbs swapped it over to fit etc so i dont know for sure what cup from hope they actually used

anyways, here goes, today intrugied by that thread and what was said i decided to have a look….and something straight away didnt seem right

so firstly all i have on my steerer is what im guessing is the reducer, its black, chucky ish piece of metal and that is basically it

it doesnt appear to have a crown race or even a crown race outer seal! am i missing something or does this reducer thing not need it?!? it doesnt sit flush in the frame as there is a visible gap when everything is tightened up

so am i missing a crown race and a crown race outer seal for the bottom?

when i insert the forks at the bottom, the bit on the fork steerer sits directly into the lower bearing, so here im guessing there should be a crown race and a seal of some discription that will get rid of my gap?

im guessing somethings wrong as my bottom headset bearing was goosed after 4 months from brand new, and when fitting it together the bottom feels loose and doesnt sit in neatly until everythings tightened up

when everything is tightened up it seems to perform ok (other than wearing the bottom bearing out rather hastily), but i do keep getting crunchy/creaking type noises when climbing on rocky stuff (maybe moving slightly?)

anyways, i didnt fit this, this is how it came from the shop when they installed the new forks, so dont blame me for being a idiot, mistakes happen and they are a great shop! 🙂

but please tell me what the hell im missing

br
    Free Member

but please tell me what the hell im missing

Can’t see you pics but if there is no crown race, start there.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The black thing is the adapter that makes the 1 1/8 steerer 1.5. There should 100% be a 1.5 crown race that sits on top of it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mosey 😆 hoped you’d pop up! ha!

how the hell do i post pics??

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Upload to photobucket or yfrog and click the IMG link.

It will copy and you paste that straight onto here.

khani
    Free Member

Is it this ?

Are you missing the silver bit?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pics are now on!

the black thing is the reducer then? and i should have a crown race ontop of that and also some form of seal?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So the adapter looks like this (yours may be black): this sits direct on your 1 1/8 fork making the diameter 1.5.

Then you should have the crown race that looks like this: it sits I too of the adapter above and interacts directly with your bearings as normal:

Together they look like this (but at the bottom of the fork steerer):

Separately they look like this:

Does that help?

khani
    Free Member

There seems to be different types for if you have an external 1.5 lower cup or 1.5 integrated lower cup so yours might be different to the one I posted,
    Now I’m confused as well…

TrevorB

The race in your pic is not a Hope Crown race. It looks like its doing the conversion to a 1.5 race. Are you sure the lower cup is Hope?

Edit. Mosey’s pics clarify how it should be.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to go with what trevorb says. Doesn’t look like a hope crown race. Neither does that look like a hope bottom cup.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It does look a bit like the Hope 1.5 internal bottom cup.

khani
    Free Member

It is, it’s for a 1.5 integrated lower cup.. Like this but for 1.18th forks

Take it off and clean and grease it, not sure about the gap, it might be a o’ring or something that’s missing..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mosey cheers for the pics, hmmmm yeh it does look different!

i can absolutly assure you the top cup is a hope one as its written all over it, the lower cup should be hope (as i ordered a hope headset!) and all i can tell you is the bearing was defintely a hope one as it had the codes on and the replacement one i got was exactly the same

so the bearing is defo hope, and the top cup is too

the reducer you are right doesnt look the same hmmmmm (although it probably does the same job?)

how can i tell if its a hope bottom cup then? has anyone else got on they can check to compare too?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

By the way the pics on my response are all Hope bits.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It looks like a Hope 1.5 internal cup to be honest, I think you just have the crown race missing.

Although it looks like they might have use a different company reducer crown race on your steerer rather than the adapter.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

TBH i cant imagine its NOT a full hope headset, they had the headset there in front of me when i bought it, cant see why they would put a different one in? perhaps when they fitted my new forks they just picked up the nearest reducer rather than put the old one on?

so am i missing the crown race and outer seal or not then? 😆

i never used to have gaps on my old five frame with a 1 1/8th headset and the bearings lasted 4 years on that! the bottom one was goosed after 4 months from new with this setup, pics could explain why…..

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Looking at it the black thing on your steerer is a 1.5 – 1 1-8 crown race not an adapter.

It is most likely another companies. If it was Hope it would be split and silver.

It’s deffo not a Hope part.

TrevorB

This:

Although it looks like they might have use a different company reducer crown race on your steerer rather than the adapter.

so no external seal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers mosey you legend!

but regardless of what the brand is of the reducer, i should definitely no matter what have a crown race and seal (like your pics) that sit on top of it?

what im trying to say is, as this other branded reducer/adaptor thing ive got is not some form of magical piece that means i dont need the crown/seal (like your pics)

again many thanks mosey!

walleater

Looks fine to me, in that it’s doing what it’s meant to be doing. No crown race needed as it IS the crown race!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

and also to confirm now if i get some tapered forks, all i actually need is the crown race and a seal?

i wouldnt need anything else im guessing now we’ve established ive got a 1.5lower headset cup/bearing installed?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha walleater – still confused now!

so is this a all in one, crown race/reducer type thing then? thus doesnt need the seal?

walleater

Yes, although I am a bit surprised that there’s no seal. A 1.5″ lower seal would fit on that OK.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Really not sure what’s going on there. Hope’s 1.5 crown race for an internal lower cup didn’t look like that when I fitted one a few weeks back – looked like MoseyMTB’s i think ( edit – but of course that was for a tapered fork d’oh)

Nor does that looks like a 1.5/1 1/8th reducer as it has an angled face so a crown race wouldn’t sit on top of it very well.

To be honest it looks as if the fork has a crown race from a different headset. The way it has worn suggests it’s not mating with the lower bearing properly, which also suggests this is the case.

You could imagine how someone might go to put a bike together, realise they didn’t have the right parts, and use a crown race from a different headset? I’d go back to the shop, tell them the problems you’re having and ask them to sort it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok cheers – so its not technically causing any issues per se then as it is just to clarify

so as im getting a new set of tapered forks next week, what exactly do i need then?

will i need a new tapered 1.5 crown race and a lower tapered seal from hope to go on the forks and it should then all just fit neatly together? and thats it?

walleater

^Probably an FSA one, not as it matters as long as the angles are the same:

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

You need the hope 1.5 split race as pictured in my second picture. It fits directly on your steerer and then fits your bearing perfectly.

That is all. Give Hope a call.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk – Member
    Really not sure what’s going on there. Hope’s 1.5 crown race for an internal lower cup didn’t look like that when I fitted one a few weeks back – looked like MoseyMTB’s i think.

Nor does that looks like a 1.5/1 1/8th reducer as it has an angled face so a crown race wouldn’t sit on top of it very well.

To be honest it looks as if the fork has a crown race from a different headset. The way it has worn suggests it’s not mating with the lower bearing properly, which also suggests this is the case.

You could imagine how someone might go to put a bike together, realise they didn’t have the right parts, and use a crown race from a different headset? I’d go back to the shop, tell them the problems you’re having and ask them to sort it.

im still 100% sure its a lower bottom hope cup, it does look similar on the pics ive seen of tapered hope ones

like you say for some odd reason they decided to ditch the lower seal and crown race/reducer (maybe just didnt have the reducer in stock) and put another branded one on that acts as a reducer/crown race

still a bit naughty as there is a gap there at present, and as you say its clearly not fitting to well as its goosed the lower bearing in just 4 months

but im going to get a new set of tapered forks i think next week, so as long as i can rectify it then its ok

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I reckon that is it, they didn’t have the silver adapter like in my first pic so use another headsets crown race.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looks fine to me, in that it’s doing what it’s meant to be doing. No crown race needed as it IS the crown race!

But it’s is it? Someone else could conceivably make an aftermarket adaptor that fitted a Hope lower cup but why would they bother.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys/mosey – does the hope split race include the lower seal too? or shall i ask for one of them as well

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The split race comes exactly like my second pic. That is the actual part mate for a tapered steerer and 1.5 lower headset cup.

Your lower cup is 1.5 and your steerer is tapered so perfect.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

MoseyMTB – Member
    I reckon that is it, they didn’t have the silver adapter like in my first pic so use another headsets crown race.

to be fair they always sort me out super quick so i can get out riding again so i expect thats exactly what it is

but what the hell ever happened to my lower seal and crown race though, as now i dont have either if i want to fix it properly 🙁

also i wont have the seal for my new forks, and neither do i have a crown race for my new forks

(although i guess the crown race id need a new one anyways as the crown race on my current forks would be 1.1/8th right?)

so confused right now ha!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah the crown race on your fork now won’t fit the Pike.

If you ring Hope they will sort you out with crown race.

Some crown race don’t have seals like the FSA above.

Like I say if worst comes to worst mate, buy the Hope bottom cup new and it will come with cup, new bearing and crown race for £28.

🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh cheers mosey so i need to ask for a 1.5 split race and that includes the crown race and seal all as one (although you can seperate them)

i may as well just leave my current forks like this now, as they still work i guess

and when i get my new forks next week ill just need to get a split race (crown race and seal) and all will be dandy!

one final question, is there absolutlely any reason what so ever why the steerer tube will need to be a different length? given the current setup and when i get my new forks? (due to the parts missing/used?)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be as the adapter wasn’t used so won’t need accounting for.

Just pop the crown race (split 1.5) on the Pike, put it in the headtube and see.

If it’s a new fork it will need cutting down whatever.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks a million for the input guys, and especially you mosey, owe you a beer!

i reckon ill ask the shop to sort me out a new hope split race, after all id have the seal already if they had done it properly (so to speak, not slagging them mind!) so would only need a new crown race

thanks again for the help, got there in the end and it wasnt as straight forward as we first thought ha!

dipper
    Free Member

ive fitted dozens of hope headsets and that doesnt look like any hope adaptor or crown race ive seen. get the correct adaptor and race as pictured above and all will be well

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just to agree with Dipper above but one point to stop confusion, DONT USE AN ADAPTER with the new Pikes, you don’t need one 🙂

Ha

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Hope Headset Help, Something Aint Right! Pics Inside’ is closed to new replies.